Off topic got a lathe who wants stuff making?

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
What's the capacity of the lathe and what materials do you have experience with?

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
Have you got boring bars and grooving tools? What tolerances can you work to?

I'm not trying to pick holes, just deduce what I can realistically ask for.

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
I am giving him a chance;
I'm not trying to pick holes, just deduce what I can realistically ask for.
I have some small parts in mind that need to be made to fairly tight tolerances and they'd be a good little project for a budding machinist; not difficult, but fairly satisfying to make correctly.

RustyIron

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Jun 5, 2021
La Habra, California
8” by 16” steel brass and aluminium im not a pro or an expert but everyone’s gotta start somewhere :)

Good on ya, brother. The number of machinists I've met in my lifetime that I'd call "experts" can be counted on one hand. But if you ask them, most will tell you, "Nah, I'm still learning."

It's pretty unusual that I make bike parts. Here's a couple pics of recent projects that are still in my camera. The first is a plug kit that was too big to fit inside the handle of my OneUp EDC Pump. I turned down the cap, and now it's perfect. Coincidentally, I got to use it for the first time today when a buddy ran a stick through his tire. The second pic shows a volume spacer I cranked out when I was too impatient/lazy/cheap to order the factory part.

Show us some pictures of your next project, whether it's bike parts or not.

IMG_3649.jpeg

65447984038__A9254956-E926-4ACE-83BC-342100A4DD13.jpeg

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
Nice tools, now lets see what you'll be using them with. We need to see your lathe man, all the engineering geeks are frothing at the mouth with anticipation.

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
No lathe snob here mate, the last machine I ran was a Colchester that was older than me!

Barbara_Reed

Oct 18, 2020
FR
That's a very kind offer. I'm trying to make a tow bar to get a microlight in and out of the hangar. The design isn't finalised yet but I would like to replace the axle on the nose wheel with a longer one that would enable me to hook on the tow bar at each side of the wheel. It would need a threaded section at each end for a big washer and nut, for the centre section it would be a copy of the existing axle. Easy enough for me to remove it and make a drawing and photos. Would this be a possibility? How long a piece can you make, and what diameter?
And yes, it's not a bike, but the technology level is similar....

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles