Levo Gen 3 OEM tyres

Dave_B

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Aug 29, 2020
Newquay
Who uses the Spesh Butcher and Eliminator that come with the Gen3?

Are they any good?

Dave_B

Subscriber
Aug 29, 2020
Newquay
They are a lot lighter than the schwalbe tyres I’m using and look like a good option for summer conditions here in the UK.

unclezz

May 3, 2020
CZ
I do.
I find them very good tyres. Only problem is that I am noticing they seem to wear out much faster than maxxis DHR/DHF I have on another bike.

Tooks

Subscriber
Mar 29, 2020
Lincs UK
Yep, agree with @dobbyhasfriends regarding the front, I had the front slide out on me in my first couple of rides, the second time resulting in an off.

Not very confidence inspiring and the first time a tyre has done that to me in years, so it had to go.

Might be alright in bone dry conditions, but then most tyres are.

Rocketship

May 23, 2023
UK
Rear is terrible and rolls over in hard cornering. Side walls like butter.
Running super gravity Schwalbe on the rear with rimpact now. So much better- night and day difference.

InRustWeTrust

E*POWAH Master
Mar 9, 2020
Sweden
Never used , and I am probably never gonna use theme.

I still only have them as spare tires otherwise I would probably have given them away

20220529_165029.jpg

InRustWeTrust

E*POWAH Master
Mar 9, 2020
Sweden
Why you never used them?
have tested these tires before, although it was an earlier model, think it was the t6 and I didn't like them.

have you ever seen a specialized r sponsor rider with specialized tires? , probably many have other have tyre sponsors as their own are so bad.

Kimmoi

Jul 6, 2018
Finland
Specialized new Butcher T9 and Eliminator T7/T9 2.6 Gravitys are very good tires. Sturdy and grippy. The behavior is very logical and predictable. Very good combo on wet surfaces also. With gravity casing they are better than Trail, in my opinion.
I have Assegai DH Maxxgrip on it's way to the front end, i will compare it to the Butcher when it's here.

Rocketship

May 23, 2023
UK
How can you say that if you did not use them? I am really genuinely curious 😬
I used them. Then i took them off after 2 rides.
As said earlier the back tyre rolls over like hell.
I believe the SG rear is better, but the grip from my Schwalbe set up is sweet. Hope that helps.

ebikerider

Oct 1, 2019
Australia
Nothing wrong with the new Specialized tyres both in trail and gravity casings in T7 and T9 compound. The pic above looks like an older generation tyre.

People who have issues with the front washing out on the Butcher are basically not leaning the tyre over enough imo. Same deal with people not liking the Maxxis DHF on the front. That channel, or no mans land between centre and side knobs, is the part that riders who lack confidence lean to and it feels vague and washes out. If you lean it harder and further and actually get into the side knobs then it grips hard.

An Assegai is an easier tyre to corner on as it has the transition knobs and gives the impression of more grip at mid lean angles. Braking into corners on the Assegai is its ace card imo.

Butcher trail front and gravity rear is a good combo.

Kimmoi

Jul 6, 2018
Finland
Nothing wrong with the new Specialized tyres both in trail and gravity casings in T7 and T9 compound. The pic above looks like an older generation tyre.

People who have issues with the front washing out on the Butcher are basically not leaning the tyre over enough imo. Same deal with people not liking the Maxxis DHF on the front. That channel, or no mans land between centre and side knobs, is the part that riders who lack confidence lean to and it feels vague and washes out. If you lean it harder and further and actually get into the side knobs then it grips hard.

An Assegai is an easier tyre to corner on as it has the transition knobs and gives the impression of more grip at mid lean angles. Braking into corners on the Assegai is its ace card imo.

Butcher trail front and gravity rear is a good combo.
My experiences tells that Butcher gravity at front gives you more stability than trail.
My recommendation is that use gravity at both ends.

Tooks

Subscriber
Mar 29, 2020
Lincs UK
Specialized do make do make some great tyres, don’t get me wrong, I swear by the Hillbilly when things get muddy for example.

It’s just that the stock tyres that came on my Levo were pants, mainly the front.

Yes, the front washed out, it’s part of a regular trail I ride that doesn’t need me to ‘lean the bike over’ and no other tyre I ride on multiple bikes has done it before or since.

It’s great they work for some people on their trails, just giving my experience of the Butcher Grid Trail T9 on the front of my Levo that didn’t inspire confidence.

Kimmoi

Jul 6, 2018
Finland
Btw, is there dh-version of Assegai/DHR2 with anything else than MaxxGrip?
MaxxGrip at rear wears too fast.

There's wired dual compound listed but i can't find it anywhere in Europe.

George_KSL

Sep 11, 2021
Slovak Republic
There is massive difference between old Gripton (now equiv in T7 compound, i.e. rather hard) and newer T9 compound, which might not be as sticky as Maxxgrip or Schwalbe Ultra-Soft, but is softer than Schwalbe Soft for example, so there is no issue with it.
There is also rather big difference in stability of 2.6 and 2.3 width T9 Butcher. Now the naming is funny and implies wrong impression, they actually have the same thread-width, roughly 2.4. But the 2.6 wide version that comes on big Turbo-Levo is ballon sized, so the 1kG Trail casing is very insufficient for any even mildly aggressive riding. Yes, it will wash-out.
On other hand, the 2.3 T9 Butcher than comes on Kenevo SL and Levo SL is very good even in trail-casing stability wise. Of course, it is still just light-weight 1000 grams tyre, it won't do for heavy rider, or rocky terrain. But the Grip and Cornering is great. And yes, all reviewers agree, and plenty of Spec riders rode it in Gravity casing before Cannibal T9 (only in gravity casing) came to market last year.
With tyres, it's all about the EXACT SKU. Maxxis Minion has like 30 SKUs alone across past decade. It's all about generation/iteration, thread width, compound. 2.6" Gripton (T7) Trail Casing sucks. 2.3" T9 great.
The great thing about T9 Butcher Trail casing, is that's is only the second tyre on market that comes with stickiest compound at lightest casing, ideal for light-weight riders, like my wife. If you want sticky Kryptotal, you need their DH casing, no other combo available with it.
And even my Assegai 29" 2.3 MaxxGrip Exo+ is 1250 grams (weighted by myself), that is the second lightest Assegai right now, and it's almost as heavy as DH-version Kryptotal (1300 grams in reality).
So T9 Butcher is absolutely amazing tyre for the right rider (Sub 75KG, aggressive, but not as aggresive to need Assegai/Kryptotal/Cannibal/Mary/etc..) and dry to mildly wet conditions.
Everyone outside of that range, yes, get Assegai Maxxgrip, Kryptotal Ultra-soft, Magic Mary Ultrasoft. But don't rubbish otherwise great tyre.

Kimmoi

Jul 6, 2018
Finland
^Very well written post. I’m 71kg and Butcher 2.6 T9 Gravity is just awesome tyre for me.
Maybe next week i will have my Assegai DH, very interested to see what it’s all about.👍

Edit: one thing i forgot about Butcher: i ride my commutes with my Levo also. 12km/day, 5 days/week. It’s all tarmac. Butcher T9 has pretty good wear resistance, i.e. Schwalbe Ultra soft Magic Mary almost melted down, they were totally ruined pretty soon.

Last edited:

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
Poor cyclists that blame their tyres u need to adapt riding to the tire your using. No problem with them at all haha

DeeSeM

Mar 19, 2023
Switzerland
I liked the new T9 Butcher 2.6 at the front and the only 2 weaknesses I see are that on loose terrain it looses grip too fast and it is at least for me difficult to control. Plus it collects and keeps mud when it‘s really wet. Apart from that it is a really good tire But would go with the Gravity version next time. At the back the Eliminator Trail hasn‘t survived that long and I got a puncture quite fast, The T7/T9 Gravity version was better and lasted ok-ish long. Also here I think in muddy terrain there are better options.

I now run Assegai‘s at the front and read in DD and Max Grip. It is a completely different feeling with pro‘s and some minor cons. I‚l probably end up with the Assegai because I can trust the front a little more. The Assegai is definitely better on loose terrain. Still I wished that the Assegai would be available in 2.6 as the 2.5 requires more pressure but the grip does not really suffer. I liked the 2.6 because it gives some extra damping I liked.

So if I could build my own tire I would like the 2.6 Butcher, T9 Gravity version with a more Assegai like pattern of the knobs or a 2.6 version of the Assegai DD max grip.. At the rear I‘d like to have the DHR II 2.6 in DD or DH with a T7/T9 compound.

What I am still looking for is a tire for next winter and the muddy season. Still have no clue but I goes I‘ll the new Michelin Racing line even though it‘s only 2.4 but in the mud that probably works better.

Jeff H

May 19, 2019
San Jose, CA, USA
have tested these tires before, although it was an earlier model, think it was the t6 and I didn't like them.

have you ever seen a specialized r sponsor rider with specialized tires? , probably many have other have tyre sponsors as their own are so bad.
Complete redesign in 2022 and waaay better so throw out what you remember. The only carryover is the name. Try a Butcher T9 up front and you might be pleasantly surprised. They also cost way less than many other leading brands, at least here in the US.

3dp

Aug 26, 2020
Stalyvegas
Went through 2 butchers on rear before I said enough and got Schwalbe - I found the sidewall separated from the beads both times in under 1000km - I don’t jump but I do ride rocks Schwalbe a lot tougher on the super gravity with the Mary Betty combo it handles the best/worst of Cheshire/Derby Pennines

Dax

May 25, 2018
FoD
Been using butchers since 2018 when they came stock on my Kenevo, really happy with them, never understood the hate of them. People get weird over tyres.

The new ones work really well too.

mustclime

Apr 19, 2023
New Jerzy
I love the 2.6 t9 gravity case Butchers that came on my 2022 Kenevo. I have given up on Maxxis tires, their casings brake down really quickly and the side knobs peal off where I ride. I was on a ride last weekend where the rocks and roots were sweating from the high humidity and even with a ton of miles on them the Butchers were holding their line. Maxxis tire live hard and die quickly imo. If someone is handing you new tires after a couple hundred miles they are great. Got sick of flats and knobs pealing off. When the Butchers finally turn into slicks I may just get some more as long as the price is good.

Tooks

Subscriber
Mar 29, 2020
Lincs UK
There’s nothing like a tyre thread to get people going! 😂

Ultimately, like so many things in biking (and life!), do and use what works for you, for where and how you ride.

I’d never bin a tyre that came on a bike without at least giving them a go, but I know what works for me on my trails and that’s all there is to it really.

I don’t expect to project my favoured tyres onto anybody, and I don’t expect people to tell me I purchased the wrong tyres or I’m a crap rider either. Even though I might be! 🤣👍

A ride on a crap tyre is still a ride, so all good, as long as you keep your teeth and bones intact. 😱

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles