Nuts and bolts

Falco

May 30, 2020
TheShed
Hello fellas,

I'd really appreciate some help to understand what kind of bolts I have on my handlebar's accessories since I need to buy spare parts and torx replacements. Does someone have a guide link or a DIY method to understand what kind of bolt is needed?

If it can help I have a cube stere hybrid actionteam 160 2020.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
If it's a hexagon hole its an Allen key you need.
If it has a star-shaped hole then you need Torx keys.

If you get one of the multi-tools aimed at the bike industry, you will have pretty much all you need, including a chain breaker. I like the Topeak Hexus X Multi-Tool for about £20 + delivery.

Edit: The problem with Allen and Torx is that in poor light, the holes look like they could be either type. Unpleasantness can ensue if you choose wrongly. be careful.

Falco

May 30, 2020
TheShed
Thx man for the reply. What I meant is how do I recognize what screws measure I need to buy spare parts online.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
OK,I understand.
Remove the bolt, measure the length and diameter, take a note of the type of head. I am pretty sure that the bolts will all be metric, so if the bolt measures just under 4mm, it will be a 4mm bolt.

So you would order a pack of M4 bolts, 25mm long (for ex) Allen head (or Torx).
You can choose to get black bolts (standard), shiny, brass, or titanium!

Scott5297

May 10, 2020
Birmingham
You might consider ordering a digital calliper to do measurements.

for example:

For £7 or so it might save you some time.

Typically you will find metric bolts on your bike.

M5 bolts, for example, have a thread diameter of 5mm. This is where a calliper is handy.

It's also useful for measuring the thickness of your brake discs as they wear.

Scott5297

May 10, 2020
Birmingham
I would also consider buying a torque wrench for the smaller bolts. They tend to need quite low torque settings when tightening.

the last thing you want is to over tighten a bolt and strip the thread. That would cost you bigly.

Jackware

Fat-tyred Freakazoid
Subscriber
Oct 30, 2018
Lancashire
I would also consider buying a torque wrench for the smaller bolts. They tend to need quite low torque settings when tightening.

the last thing you want is to over tighten a bolt and strip the thread. That would cost you bigly.
This is an excellent suggestion, the number of times I've read posts where people have destroyed part of their bike or stripped a thread because they have just kept tightening a small bolt.
I use one of these;

Screenshot_20200809-155322.png

Falco

May 30, 2020
TheShed
Thx boys. I got a torque wrench, gotta buy it since the new bike is mainly carbon. Didn't think about the caliper it actually is useful in terms of precision and time saving.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles