Not using the uplift service at a bike park

Tbar

Aug 18, 2019
Germany
Just wondering what the general feeling is towards riding an emtb at a bike park that offers a shuttle service or cable car?

Anyone had any issues when making your own way up the hill and not paying for and using the uplift?

Do parks generally charge a reduced fee for using the trails without the uplift?

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
using an ebike to shuttle at a proper uplifted bike park with DH tracks from top to bottom (pick up/drop off points) instead of using the uplift service is pretty stupid IMO.
At my local you'd get 3 full runs to your full battery and you'd be slower to the top than
on the uplift where you'd get 10 runs easily for your day pass.
I do however ride the same hill (for free) on my Emtb too, but generally do more of a loop combining some other less (uplift) accessed tracks aswell.

I see you're in Germany so contact the bike parks you're thinking of visiting and ask. you're unlikely to get better advice here.

Tbar

Aug 18, 2019
Germany
Not too many bike parks around me offer uplift services tbh. I was just curious really. Since Specialized market the Kenevo as a shuttle-killer, I was wondering what the general experience has been with how this is accepted at bike parks.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Specialized market the Kenevo as a shuttle-killer
Yeah.. .that's kinda BS if you ride proper uplifted DH/bike parks

A full days DH riding somewhere like the PDS with no uplift pass a Kenevo would need loads and loads of battery swaps
Great for sectioning and sessioning DH with though.

Pug907

Feb 13, 2019
portsmouth
I did BPW and rode up instead of using the uplifts, as the queue was a hundred miles long. Only did 2 runs down, as we were pushed for time, but had 20 odd miles range left(y). On the flip side of to uplift or not to uplift. I wanted to go on an mtb downhill rider training day, but was told the emtb's wouldn't fit on the uplift trailer??? Needless to say, I didn't bother booking, but does anyone know why it wouldn't fit?
They have emtb's to hire, which confused me even more.

Kiwi in Wales

Short cranks rule!🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 24, 2018
Carmarthen, Wales
I did BPW and rode up instead of using the uplifts, as the queue was a hundred miles long. Only did 2 runs down, as we were pushed for time, but had 20 odd miles range left(y). On the flip side of to uplift or not to uplift. I wanted to go on an mtb downhill rider training day, but was told the emtb's wouldn't fit on the uplift trailer??? Needless to say, I didn't bother booking, but does anyone know why it wouldn't fit?
They have emtb's to hire, which confused me even more.

The only issue I have seen re the emtb fitting on the uplift trailer initially at Bike Park Wales was the 2.8 tyres or bigger. They were too fat to slot into the frame of the trailer. I believe they have ‘adjusted’ some of their trailer bike slots to accommodate this now.

Swan

Oct 19, 2019
North Idaho, US
My local park is a 3k+ foot descent.. So that's 1 lap on my Levo.. I'd rather just use the gondola and get 4-5 laps.

CjP

PRIME TIME
Subscriber
Jan 1, 2019
Everywhere
I rode a proper DH trail today. 420m vertical drop 2.7km long.
It took us 20min to climb on turbo and used 30% battery. Shuttle road was 6km long
Only done 1 run as we just came from another park but yeah on a lower setting I reckon 4 to 6 runs would be achievable maybe mores
As for ebikes on shuttles, I’ve used a few on the Alpine tracks before and you get the usual shit stirring but they were more than happy to shuttle me up.
My self shuttle limit is around 350m vertical, after that I’m on the trailer.
I like my bike too much to ride anything else so I do what I can to enjoy my ride.

Pdoz

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Feb 16, 2019
Maffra Victoria Australia
Christian, have you been to mt taylor ? ( near Bairnsdale)

It's about 300 m elevation with the option of heading straught up the dirt road (3 km ish - about 12 mins or 15% at full boost) . Alternatively there's an uphill x country track that's much mire interesting but slower .

Choice of 3 dh rides, so a couple if runs at each means 1 battery....

When I'm there with the kids I'll drive thrm up / drive back down then ride the bike up the road. I get in 3/4 runs before playing the old nan card and just driving them up ( or naking them join me on the x country loop).

It's dry country so best to ride before Dec - probably worth checking for nearby bush fire activity before heading down this way

Reactions: CjP

CjP

PRIME TIME
Subscriber
Jan 1, 2019
Everywhere
Christian, have you been to mt taylor ? ( near Bairnsdale)

It's about 300 m elevation with the option of heading straught up the dirt road (3 km ish - about 12 mins or 15% at full boost) . Alternatively there's an uphill x country track that's much mire interesting but slower .

Choice of 3 dh rides, so a couple if runs at each means 1 battery....

When I'm there with the kids I'll drive thrm up / drive back down then ride the bike up the road. I get in 3/4 runs before playing the old nan card and just driving them up ( or naking them join me on the x country loop).

It's dry country so best to ride before Dec - probably worth checking for nearby bush fire activity before heading down this way
Oh yes I have, I loved that place!
I had a job to do in Sale so we took the ebikes up. Ended up getting 3 runs up the fire road and one up the XC loop. I had one more run in me but brothers Merida was out.
Really enjoyed that flow trail. The climb was pretty cool too.
That’s a good place for another battery or a decent lunch break while the cars charge the bikes up.
You a local?

davarello

Oct 29, 2018
New Zealand
My local bike park has a chairlift, but doesn't allow ebikes with batteries in them to be taken up. I could take the battery out each lift, but for now I'm happy to ride the free Uphill track (which would be no fun on a regular bike) and then get at least one good run down.

Pug907

Feb 13, 2019
portsmouth
The only issue I have seen re the emtb fitting on the uplift trailer initially at Bike Park Wales was the 2.8 tyres or bigger. They were too fat to slot into the frame of the trailer. I believe they have ‘adjusted’ some of their trailer bike slots to accommodate this now.
That makes sense, cheers. Not all emtbs have o/s tyres, so I didn’t give that aspect a thought ?.

Shandy

Sep 15, 2019
Suffolk
Did BPW Friday/Saturday (pissing down), first time and coming from East Anglia never really had to worry about a uplift locally, Park opens at 9 and uplift did not kick off till 10, so biked up to top and rode down tracks to Fire road then back to top, not coming fully down till lunch then paid £5.50 for one uplift to top again to save some battery. Had a total blast all day.
Now if i was to go again, i'd pay for the uplift for the day, pedal up first thing ( about 25mins) i'm 52 and reasonably fit, do some short runs using battery for quick back to top (10 mins for me) but do alot more full runs to the bottom to get the most out the park. the Que for the uplift turn around was quick so would not have to wait long. Not sure about spring/summer, but hopefully find out next year. But i would go midweek...

Jamsxr

E*POWAH Master
Mar 30, 2019
Surrey
Did BPW and never used the the uplift, frankly I think it’s odd to use the uplift if you’re riding an eBike! However, I do tend to take my MTB to bike parks.

I raced my mate from the bottom, he took the uplift with a very small queue, I was up before him.

Shandy

Sep 15, 2019
Suffolk
Did BPW and never used the the uplift, frankly I think it’s odd to use the uplift if you’re riding an eBike! However, I do tend to take my MTB to bike parks.

I raced my mate from the bottom, he took the uplift with a very small queue, I was up before him.
If i had a decent full SUS MTB i'm with you = uplift. For me It's just the amount of battery burn going from bottom to top. BPW is a 4.5 hour drive so i have to make the most of the day so that = uplift after first ride up. who knows few years may = chairlift...

Jamsxr

E*POWAH Master
Mar 30, 2019
Surrey
If i had a decent full SUS MTB i'm with you = uplift. For me It's just the amount of battery burn going from bottom to top. BPW is a 4.5 hour drive so i have to make the most of the day so that = uplift after first ride up. who knows few years may = chairlift...

Fair enough, I’m greedy and have 2 x 500wh batteries. They will also charge your batteries there for a small fee, my friends did that and managed around 7 runs.

CjP

PRIME TIME
Subscriber
Jan 1, 2019
Everywhere
It really shouldn’t matter what bike you have, an uplift is and uplift. As long as you’re a paying customer why would anyone give two shits.
A bike is a bike and we’re all here for the same reasons, to have fun and enjoy riding.

Let’s not start a new battle between mtb and emtb

PsiLoCybia

Oct 22, 2019
Ely

Did you go up the road or the trail?

Kiwi in Wales

Short cranks rule!🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 24, 2018
Carmarthen, Wales
I have visited Bike Park Wales a number of times using acoustic bikes and ebikes.
On acoustic bikes for me personally, it’s a no brainer. Shuttle van uplift please (y)

However, whenever I go there with my ebike it’s a completely different story. If you are going to frequent bike parks and the Bike Park trails all end close to where you park your car which most do ;) then my suggestion to you is to do what I do and arm yourself with a spare battery or 2, store them in the boot of your car for later and it is ‘see you later’ queues and ‘Shuttle van uplift’ not required thanks very much :)

For me personally, the main reason I actually purchased an ebike in the first place was for the climbing assistance so I could get up the climbs quickly and enjoy the downhill sections more. BPW is not a huge bike park compared to most so getting to the top where all the trails actually start can take you anywhere between, just under 10 minutes (if you ride it like you stole it ) or around 20 minutes if you chug up using a mixture of Eco and Trail. The starting point for this time measurement is where the shuttle vans pick you up.

Not everyone is aware that there is more than one route to the top at BPW. The ‘Beast of Burden’ is the route most people know and use. However there is a shorter steeper route which is quicker and the one I use if I do not want to session the ‘Popty Ping’, ‘Hot Stepper’ trails or just head down towards the shuttle van pick up point via the ‘Terrys Belly’ trail. The alternative route I am talking about is the DH Push up route which is via the first part of the ‘Beast of Burden’ then along a short section of fire road and then the climb up the DH Push up route. As I tend to ‘ride it like I stole it’ on Turbo when I am climbing I will use 20 to 22% of my battery so I will easily get 4 climbs and 4 descents before lunch. After lunch and after a quick 5 minute battery change there is another 4 climbs and 4 descents to enjoy. If you are fortunate enough to have a 700Wh you will get 6 climbs and descents. If you have 2 spare batteries and your body can physically take the beating you will get another 4 to 6 climbs and descents

Van Shuttles at BPW? For me personally, on my ebike? No need thanks ?

PS, there are a lot of good deals on 500Wh batteries at the moment both new and second hand so get in there and get yourself a spare battery and get yourself to BPW and have some ebike self shuttling fun.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles