Not funny

alan_sh

Aug 3, 2020
Rochdale
Well, so much for E-biking. Went out this morning and both bikes have been stolen.

If anyone offers you 2 Decathlon EST-520 bikes without batteries, do let me know.

AGGGGHHHH!!!

Alan
And yes, they were securely locked and hidden from view - it was a professional job.

cazrack

Jul 5, 2020
Earth
And yes, they were securely locked and hidden from view - it was a professional job.

If that is the case, you should not store such bikes at the exact same spot again unless they are extremly well locked in place and monitored by a security camera in combination with a siren that can sound a high alarm. It must be more inconvenient for anyone to get the bikes out of that place and unfortunately it will also be the case for the bike owner.

Pivot

E*POWAH Master
Jun 11, 2020
New Forest, England
Shocking!
Second-hand market is very liquid right now, so many unsuspecting customers might get conned and become accomplices in the process!?

Darren

Sep 25, 2019
Warwick
Sorry for your loss.
There was a story this week about 118 stolen bikes found in a single house in Hackney - makes my blood boil.

alan_sh

Aug 3, 2020
Rochdale
We were on holiday in Derbyshire when they were taken.

But the batteries were in the cottage we had being charged up. So, batteryless bikes !!!

Nobbyfox

Aug 9, 2020
Surrey
Oh bugger !!
so sorry. To comply with our insurance I have a ground anchor and massive lock in garage. All sold secure gold.

alan_sh

Aug 3, 2020
Rochdale
Thanks both. As it turns out, I needed to inform the insurance company of the value of the bikes - which I didn't do (only had it 2 weeks), so not insured. At home they are in a locked alarmed garage and chained to the wall. If they wanted them, they really have to work at it. My motorcycles are all chained to a massive ground anchor.

Anyway, sod them. They can't sell them without the batteries - and I will just buy some more and have a spare battery for each.

urastus

⚡The Whippet⚡
May 4, 2020
Tasmania
Really sorry to hear this man!!!

for your second set of bikes I’d be happy to talk you through a security system and cameras. Personally I’d set up a lethal system and just have a good plan for ditching a body.....but I dont value scum lives. But regardless could set up an electrocution system that would be a hoot to watch, bear spray would be cool too. Just make sure its videotaped for all of us. Unfortunately crime pays for scum bag humans.
If I did that I'd end up with a very angry partner - she'd get caught in it :oops: :ROFLMAO:

Jimex

Jun 9, 2020
UK
I use two ground anchors and two 16mm chains, plus cctv which records to the cloud and sends me an alarm. It's all about making it as difficult as possible.

Timmoh

May 18, 2020
Wales
I use two ground anchors and two 16mm chains, plus cctv which records to the cloud and sends me an alarm. It's all about making it as difficult as possible.
Don't know if you are on this/do this but if on Strava and the like, check security settings and use a "no see zone" that starts a distance away from ground zero. This sharing caring fitness and social media world can backfire big time (Sister had 14 grands worth of DH kit nicked through it!). Amazed by who has access granted as original settings/standard on some apps.
Hope you have better luck with the next ones.

alan_sh

Aug 3, 2020
Rochdale
Hi JP - thank you for the kind offer but...

I live in the UK which is a bit of a travel from you. I've also ordered the same bikes as we had before as I now have two spare batteries.

But it was a lovely gesture - so thank you again.

regards

Alan

Canmore TLCC 29

Jun 16, 2020
Canmore, AB Canada
Well, so much for E-biking. Went out this morning and both bikes have been stolen.

If anyone offers you 2 Decathlon EST-520 bikes without batteries, do let me know.

AGGGGHHHH!!!

Alan
Can you share bike manufacturer, model and serial numbers? Is there any way the serial numbers of stolen bikes can be shared online?

andyadam

Apr 16, 2020
fife, scotland

AGGGGHHHH!!!

Alan
i feel your pain buddy, i had two stolen last year from my shed, i even found one for sale on ebay at the start of lockdown, ebay and police scotland did diddly squat, never even visited the p****
got a crime number , got the insurance payout, got an e bike to replace them, some good came out of it i suppose and the e bike now lives in the house as my shed contents dont cover near the price of the new e bike but it does if it's ever stolen from inside the home

andyadam

Apr 16, 2020
fife, scotland
Can you share bike manufacturer, model and serial numbers? Is there any way the serial numbers of stolen bikes can be shared online?
there are numerous online places to log stolen bike serial numbers in the uk, bike checker, bike registry, check that bike and others, as the cop said to me they are mostly smarter than to sell the bike whole, usually stripped for parts, less profit but less chance of being caught, and as my case shows even if you find it for sale somewhere the police are not even interested in the slightest

alan_sh

Aug 3, 2020
Rochdale
there are numerous online places to log stolen bike serial numbers in the uk, bike checker, bike registry, check that bike and others, as the cop said to me they are mostly smarter than to sell the bike whole, usually stripped for parts, less profit but less chance of being caught, and as my case shows even if you find it for sale somewhere the police are not even interested in the slightest
Yes, I have found one site and will be posting there in the morning. But given that they have no batteries, I feel they will be broken up and sold as spares.

Alan

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles