Not buying the new Orbea Rise SL

ahnorama

May 7, 2024
Irvine, CA
My local bike shop has one 2025 Orbea Rise SL that I almost bought today. It's the SL M10 version with the 630wh battery for $8900. I am very tempted, especially with the full 85nm power, but smaller travel with the bigger battery didn't make sense for my kind of riding. I'd rather do an LT with the 630w battery, or SL with 430w. Shop said estimated delivery was in August for anything new, and I'm not a patient person. So instead I put a deposit on a Pivot Shuttle SL. The shuttle was over $1k cheaper, doesn't have headset routing, and the fazua still felt quieter and more natural than the EP801. The Shuttle SL is replacing a Trek Fuel EXe. The TQ is great, but easily hits thermal limits for me and my weight. For a lighter rider, I think the TQ makes a lot of sense. No pictures yet, but excited to share the news with anyone who won't crap on ebikes :).

gmoss

Mar 21, 2024
Hickory, NC
Be interested to hear your comparison of the fazua vs TQ on the trail. I have been quite pleased with Fuel so far, but I don't use full power much, but am considered a heavier rider, though I am fairly average weight for my size at 210 lbs.

ahnorama

May 7, 2024
Irvine, CA
I weigh 250lbs and generally output 250-350 watts sustained. So any incline I’m basically maxing out the motor at the “continuous” 250w. The watts outputted by the motor drops from 250 to under 150w after 15-20 minutes, then needs a cool down every 5-7 minutes of climbing. Trek is warrantying the motor but I demoed a brand new EXe and it still overheated and throttled the power. The main difference is that the throttling happened after 40 minutes of riding, and every 15-20 minutes thereafter. So i’m convinced the motor isn’t really designed for 250w continuous. Kinda makes sense since the factory setting is 220w max on trail mode. That said, 220w and 50nm isn’t cutting it for me on my local trails.

I demoed a heckler with the fauza 60 and it sustained the turbo mode for an hour+. Didn’t like the VPP suspension but that sealed the deal with me for the fauza 60. The motor is definitely louder and doesn’t feel as natural as the TQ, but the torque comes on stronger at a lower cadence and the extra 10nm makes a big difference. For example, my local “dreaded” climb takes 18-19 minutes on my trek, mainly due to the power throttling. Takes 14 minutes on the older rise (EP800 rs), and 12 minutes on the fauza. I’m guessing the new EP801 RS can smash the time to under 10 minutes, but i’m happy with the fauza.

gmoss

Mar 21, 2024
Hickory, NC
I weigh 250lbs and generally output 250-350 watts sustained. So any incline I’m basically maxing out the motor at the “continuous” 250w. The watts outputted by the motor drops from 250 to under 150w after 15-20 minutes, then needs a cool down every 5-7 minutes of climbing. Trek is warrantying the motor but I demoed a brand new EXe and it still overheated and throttled the power. The main difference is that the throttling happened after 40 minutes of riding, and every 15-20 minutes thereafter. So i’m convinced the motor isn’t really designed for 250w continuous. Kinda makes sense since the factory setting is 220w max on trail mode. That said, 220w and 50nm isn’t cutting it for me on my local trails.

I demoed a heckler with the fauza 60 and it sustained the turbo mode for an hour+. Didn’t like the VPP suspension but that sealed the deal with me for the fauza 60. The motor is definitely louder and doesn’t feel as natural as the TQ, but the torque comes on stronger at a lower cadence and the extra 10nm makes a big difference. For example, my local “dreaded” climb takes 18-19 minutes on my trek, mainly due to the power throttling. Takes 14 minutes on the older rise (EP800 rs), and 12 minutes on the fauza. I’m guessing the new EP801 RS can smash the time to under 10 minutes, but i’m happy with the fauza.

Thanks. I made the right decision then. I don't ride at full power, usually on lowest turned all the way down. Then, maybe another lap on mid level, highest for some climbs when tired.

Dax

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 25, 2018
FoD
How much drag is there on the pivot with the motor off? Does it feel like riding a normal bike?

I loved the Shuttle SL when I demoed it, by far the best trial bike I’ve ridden, the frame just felt fantastic. I thought it was let down by the motor drag and the lack of AXS, considering the £11.5k (US$14.4k) price tag, but given the choice between that and a rise, there’s no contest.

ahnorama

May 7, 2024
Irvine, CA
Definitely more drag on the Fazua than the TQ motor. Doesn't feel like riding a normal bike, but that's also because the fazua ratchets. The TQ had much less drag, but I never ride without the motor on. I feel like eco mode at 150w assist is the most "off" for me.

• Helpful
Reactions: Dax

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles