Noob from Hampshire with decisions to make

beanzz

Feb 7, 2023
United Kingdom
Hi,
So a little bit of background. I've been out of the MTB scene for around 2 years due to medical reasons; I was a very active hardtail user and was just beginning to enter local competitions on a calibre bossnut.

I've recently decided to get an ebike because I had a weekend trying one out and fell in love with it(it's also been recommended as a way to gradually improve with my illness)

After doing a bit of research I have decided on either the yt decoy 29 core 10 or the orbea Rise m20 from 2022 . I quite like the idea of the orbea purely because it seems like a bike that is more flexible so to say. However the yt decoy seems like a fantastic bike and if the general consensus that it just isn't worth it to get a lightweight ebike then that will be my choice.
If you have any recommendations for other bikes to consider I would greatly appreciate it.

I would also greatly appreciate any tips for getting started as I've never actually owned an ebike or bike in this price range.

(I read the recent thread about the 2023 orbea rise m20 which was helpful)

Paulquattro

E*POWAH Elite
May 7, 2020
The Darkside
Hi Welcome
And Happy hunting
one thing i will say is see whats most local to you first for warranty issues as unlike a standard bike the electric side of things generally need a visit to the place you bought it from for rectification .

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
So it would be better to find a bike shop ebike then?
A very common piece of advice for the first time emtb buyer (irrespective of skills and riding history) for your first emtb at least, is to buy locally. Define locally? In my view it is as far as you wouldn't object too much to doing two round trips there in one day.

You may be a bike guru when it comes to fixing mechanical things, but emtbs throw up all sorts of problems that cause concern to those new to the technology. In no order of precedence; motors, batteries, chargers, controls, wiring, displays, software, updates. The problems may be electrical, mechanical (inside sealed boxes), software faults, update problems, your lack of comprehension, and no doubt others I can't think of right now. Some problems can be fixed very quickly, or indeed may not be problems but just you! Some problems can be mysterious with at first no apparent pattern. They can take ages to track down. Other problems can be full on warranty issues where a good local LBS will be a godsend. Even simple to fix problems, like a crushed control cable may take ages to fix while the spare cable is on its way from Taiwan. I could go on. But rest assured that your new found buddies on this Forum are here for you! :)

beanzz

Feb 7, 2023
United Kingdom
Okay yeah those are some excellent points in going to find a good lbs cos the onei used got hit with the lockdown and closed sadly. I don't suppose you know if any good way to look for good ones?

Spangoolies

Nov 5, 2022
UK
The UK YT distributor and bike shop is in Guildford. Is that reasonably local enough for you?

Bob88

Jul 29, 2022
Hampshire
It seems like there is a dealership of orbea 40 minutes away from me so that's an idea
Decisions Decisions! Keep the shop as close as possible. I made the mistake of buying from a shop 3hrs away.....if your ever at QECP hit me up for a ride on the red trail!

beanzz

Feb 7, 2023
United Kingdom
Decisions Decisions! Keep the shop as close as possible. I made the mistake of buying from a shop 3hrs away.....if your ever at QECP hit me up for a ride on the red trail!
How is the red nowadays? I haven't ridden on it for awhile because it got into really bad condition and the blue was just more fun

Bob88

Jul 29, 2022
Hampshire
Lovely I am gonna give it a ride :)
There was an article in the latest mtb mag (or its supplement) saying they have secured more funding than ever this year for trail maintenance and a new trail. If you're there and you hear a sound like a toolbox falling down the stairs, you'll know I'm there rippin' on my cube 😆

beanzz

Feb 7, 2023
United Kingdom
saying they have secured more funding than ever this year for trail maintenance and a new trail
Lovelyyyyy if I remember correctly the funding they used to freshen the blue up was from winning the mbuk competition so hopefully this year will hold done interesting developments

Mark24

Sep 16, 2021
Bursledon
Hi,
So a little bit of background. I've been out of the MTB scene for around 2 years due to medical reasons; I was a very active hardtail user and was just beginning to enter local competitions on a calibre bossnut.

I've recently decided to get an ebike because I had a weekend trying one out and fell in love with it(it's also been recommended as a way to gradually improve with my illness)

After doing a bit of research I have decided on either the yt decoy 29 core 10 or the orbea Rise m20 from 2022 . I quite like the idea of the orbea purely because it seems like a bike that is more flexible so to say. However the yt decoy seems like a fantastic bike and if the general consensus that it just isn't worth it to get a lightweight ebike then that will be my choice.
If you have any recommendations for other bikes to consider I would greatly appreciate it.

I would also greatly appreciate any tips for getting started as I've never actually owned an ebike or bike in this price range.

Whereabouts in Hampshire are you

beanzz

Feb 7, 2023
United Kingdom
I think the M20 has quite a small battery, so you may need to factor a range extender into the equation.
The range is actually not much less than other bikes because of the detuned motor and lighter weight but yes I did factor that in and I think I'm getting it for free with my dealer

SteveTTT

Mar 15, 2022
Hampshire, UK
I can recommend Cycle World in Southampton and Portsmouth. They stock Giant, Whyte and Haibike, and are incredibly helpful - just what you want from a LBS.

Timwillows

Jun 6, 2019
Portsmouth
The range is actually not much less than other bikes because of the detuned motor and lighter weight but yes I did factor that in and I think I'm getting it for free with my dealer
I’ve seen that argument before, just not sure I believe it. Total weight of bike and rider will only be a few percent less and the motor is not more efficient, just detuned so for a given level of support it should be much the same. I might have missed something, but my guess is that for a given level of assistance it will use about the same battery

GoJoe

Jul 20, 2022
Connecticut
Hi,

GoJoe

Jul 20, 2022
Connecticut
Get a full powered E bike. I have a YT Decoy and love it, but also have 3 non- e bikes..ride them all. Some of my friends got "lite" e bikes, and then start modifying them for more power and suspension🙁 . The decoy has everything you could want, the lite E bikes don't. Good luck!

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles