NO Cycling in the woods Henley on Thames !!!

Norange

Jul 29, 2018
Wiltshire
The problem is the walkers won't see that you are proving that walkers and cyclists can coexist, they will see that all cyclists ride where they are not allowed to and all cyclists must be punished.

Nope, ridden many hundreds of miles on footpaths and not once had that response. Quite the opposite in fact. I am an extremely handsome and likeable chap though, perhaps it's that? I will agree that lifting bikes over stiles is annoying, e-bike even more so!

softtailcruiser

Patreon
Nov 23, 2018
Tamworth
The law is clear on this. Footpaths are footpaths only.

I walk as well as MTB, and when out with my family walking I like the absence of horses and bikes. It keeps things more relaxed.

However, I do agree that the earlier comment about "archaic" and "arbitrary" designations is valid. Many of the footpaths / bridleways and to some extent RUPPs were named thus decades ago, and these designations are no longer fit for purpose or relevant.

The Open MTB organisation is working to challenge some of the distinctions, and get some footpaths upgraded to bridleway, or allow cyclists to use them.

As with all these things, patience and hard work may well pay off, but only in time. Before then. it would be wise not to antagonise landowners and other interest groups such as walkers by using paths which are designated just for those on foot, as much as they may be great for bikes, too.

So, if you care, get involved with open MTB, or write to your MP . If you don't care and are going to ride them anyway, then that seems pretty selfish to both walkers, and other MTBers who will be looked on unfavourably because of your actions.

Hope that is fair and balanced enough. .

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles