NO Cycling in the woods Henley on Thames !!!

nickthebee

Oct 16, 2018
henley
This is only going to get worse as E bike sales grow this is Lambridge wood very common route , what is the law re footpaths does anyone know pls post

X82YjabUSy+HR4DMYX10Mw.jpg

Op0cgG9UQhuXiwhp+GWYbw.jpg

nickthebee

Oct 16, 2018
henley
So i own a foot path on my land can i stop Cycling NO its a muddy mess and that all that can be done , and no would not stop any Cycling at ever ..

Northumbrian

Sep 3, 2018
Rothbury
Naughty naughty....... you must have other places-to go play?
To be honest where is the fun in riding where people walk dogs etc....why not .go find a trail centre or head to the back of beyond for some e venturing....?

BILLYP2000

Aug 28, 2018
Hull
Naughty naughty....... you must have other places-to go play?
To be honest where is the fun in riding where people walk dogs etc....why not .go find a trail centre or head to the back of beyond for some e venturing....?
With all due respect this is a bit narrow minded. We all need local trails due to time constraints and YES there's valid arguments for us not to ride footpaths but at the same time depending on you're location, I don't see the harm in sharing quiet country footpaths and enjoying them alongside walkers. It works for Scotland and the rest of Europe so why should it be different in England?

Albez

Sep 14, 2018
United Kingdom
I can understand why they wanna ban horses as they take up too much room and don't clear up their poop but to ban cyclists is bit much. Let's face it walkers are generally a miserable bunch.

BILLYP2000

Aug 28, 2018
Hull
I can understand why they wanna ban horses as they take up too much room and don't clear up their poop but to ban cyclists is bit much. Let's face it walkers are generally a miserable bunch.
In all fairness horses have as much, if not more right to be there as we do. I'd say there are select groups (and plenty of them) who are miserable and in my experience it tends to be the older, more set in their ways types that don't approve. I've always found if you're pleasant to people then it's hard for them not to be polite back. There are exceptions though and the best thing is to just bite your lip and ride off with a smile on your face.

OldBean

E*POWAH Elite
Patreon
Apr 28, 2018
East anglia
Really advise avoiding "popular" footpaths....The law prevents bikes of any kind using them.
Please realise if lots of MTBrs get up the noses of the Rambler brigade they can get very vociferous and muck it up for all of us.
Just be respectful.:unsure:

Reactions: Dax

Northumbrian

Sep 3, 2018
Rothbury
What’s the fun in riding on a path that has loads of people using it on foot, Apart from them “ kicking off”.... ( and rightfully so)you end up having to watch for children and dogs running under your wheels.....no fun IMO
And how do you make out that horses have a right to ride on paths? FFS....they are down right dangerous ( and you don’t see the owners taking their sh*t home in a black bag...)

BILLYP2000

Aug 28, 2018
Hull
This has always been the law in the UK and I've been riding footpaths for the past 30 years with very little reaction from either landowner or fellow trail users. The difference now is the number of bikers using these trails. When I was a lad and used to ride locally you would never see or pass another biker. These days I'll pass 3,4,5 groups out enjoying the same trails. I love to ride wild, steep crazy trails but when I'm local I ride responsibly because the last thing I need on my conscience is colliding with someone's dog or a fellow walker. Without doubt there is a conflict between bike, horse and walker and there will always be the small majority that tarnish our reputation which ultimately loads the argument for keeping the byway legislation as it is. I'm sure in time (probably not mine) we'll follow the common sense approach that Scotland adopt. Wales looks like falling first and I hope we're not far behind.

Last edited:

Norange

Jul 29, 2018
Wiltshire
Ride happily where I want, respect other people using the trails and have encountered no issues, bar two people objecting to me on a bridleway. There is no reason why you can't share a path with someone walking. Quite clearly you'd be an idiot to be pinning it on busy paths, but there is absolutely no difference should that be a footpath or a bridleway, you'd still be a twat.

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
Except that by riding on footpaths you’re always a twat.

Northumbrian

Sep 3, 2018
Rothbury
This has always been the law in the UK and I've been riding footpaths for the past 30 years with very little reaction from either landowner or fellow trail users. The difference now is the number of bikers using these trails. When I was a lad and used to ride locally you would never see or pass another biker. These days I'll pass 3,4,5 groups out enjoying the same trails. I love to ride wild, steep crazy trails but when I'm local I ride resposibly because the last thing I need on my coincidence is colliding with someone's dog or a fellow walker. Without doubt there is a conflict between bike, horse and walker and there will always be the small majority that tarnish our reputation which ultimatum loads the argument for keeping the byway legislation as it is. I'm sure in time (probably not mine) we'll follow the common sense approach that Scotland adopt. Wales looks like falling first and I hope we're not far behind.
Agree with you here....it’s similar to motorcycle trail riding, it’s legal to ride some places (RUPP’s)... but then you get idiots on Mx bikes, full blown enduro bikes ripping the place up.....then all motorcyclists are branded as tw*ts

Norange

Jul 29, 2018
Wiltshire
Except that by riding on footpaths you’re always a twat.

Personally, I'm proving that biking can co-exist with walkers, dogs and horses, without reference to archaic and somewhat arbitrary classifications of appropriate land use. Carry on with the insults though, they're funny :LOL:

Dax

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 25, 2018
FoD
The problem is the walkers won't see that you are proving that walkers and cyclists can coexist, they will see that all cyclists ride where they are not allowed to and all cyclists must be punished.

Besides, lifting bikes over styles is a pita. Mate of mine decided to try and cycle around the world, offroad. Made it about 5 miles away from his mums house in Northampton before he realised that lifting his bike and trailer over styles was bloody hard work. Fucking idiot.

nickthebee

Oct 16, 2018
henley
Agree with you here....it’s similar to motorcycle trail riding, it’s legal to ride some places (RUPP’s)... but then you get idiots on Mx bikes, full blown enduro bikes ripping the place up.....then all motorcyclists are branded as tw*ts
we don't have the problem that wales has i ride horses as well , i cannot see why i can't use the same bridle way for my bike ,

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Henley on Thames has alwas had it's fair share of controversy regarding obnoxious mtbers

And long may the tradition continue I say
;)

Ps. @20sec in it looks like the same nimby as in the article above giving Warner a dirty look from the side of the street, This was back in 2005. some folk never change.

Last edited:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles