Newer Than A Newbie!

Burnsey

Aug 27, 2021
North West UK
Hello all, just joined being completely new to all this mountain biking malarky!

I am proper green, never really being into bikes at all, but need to get fitter, so decided an eMTB was the way to go.

Bought a Nukeproof Megawatt Elite, which arrived badly damaged and faulty, so after a boring returns process, did more research and ordered a YT Decoy 29 Core 4. The expected delivery was pushed back and I wanted a bike, but really wanted a 'real shop' so made the trip to Leisure Lakes to see if they could guide me in the right direction.

Ended up going for the Whyte E-180 RS, which only took days, had it wrapped and collected today. It's now on charge and the alarm is set for an early ride out tomorrow.

I shall keep you posted...
1 copy.jpg

Last edited:

Gyre

Jan 25, 2021
Pasadena, CA
Hello and welcome! Gorgeous ride there.

That's going to need a certain amount of skill to use it in its intended element without pranging it or yourself. Be sure to sign up for a skills class as soon as you can.

Burnsey

Aug 27, 2021
North West UK
Hello and welcome! Gorgeous ride there.

That's going to need a certain amount of skill to use it in its intended element without pranging it or yourself. Be sure to sign up for a skills class as soon as you can.

Thanks and yes, a bit of basic riding to up fitness and get used to the basics. I've some good trails nearby, but intend taking it pretty easy at first.

The Hodge

Mystic Meg
Subscriber
Sep 9, 2020
North West Northumberland
That really is all the bike you will ever need ..I dont subscribe to the theory that you can be " overbiked " ..but that will make you feel like you are a better rider than you really are on the gnarly stuff ( My e160rs does after 25 years of riding mtb's ) ..so Gyre's (sound) advice of booking yourself on a skills course will pay dividends..
Welcome to the forum ..lets know how big that grin was after your first ride..?

Tonybro

🦾 The Bionic Man 🦿
Subscriber
Jan 15, 2021
Lancashire
Thanks and yes, a bit of basic riding to up fitness and get used to the basics. I've some good trails nearby, but intend taking it pretty easy at first.
Whereabouts in the NW? We do have some good trails nearby... I'm in Chorley...

Burnsey

Aug 27, 2021
North West UK
Whereabouts in the NW? We do have some good trails nearby... I'm in Chorley...

I'm in Warrington and a friend is an avid mountain biker, plus he has a van ;) and knows all the trails, so he's leaving me to get used to the basics and then we'll be off.

The days plans have been pushed back a little due to a commitment I'd forgotten about, so if my son gets here, we will go out today, or have an early one tomorrow. I'd rather be out early, as I do want to do a mix of road, tow paths, green lanes and some tracks we know of and prefer not to bump into anyone.

jeanmarc

Mar 2, 2021
Canada
Nice Ride!
I second the advices for a bit of training help. Speed can be intoxicating especially in trails. You'll find the bike quickly picks up speed on the descents... Congrats on your purchase and enjoy! ?

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
@Burnsey I third the advice given by @Gyre and @The Hodge. Riding a mountain bike is different to riding the sort of bike you probably rode as a youth. There is extra stuff to learn that is not intuitive and will save you learning by bleeding. I urge you to attend an introductory MTB skills course.

There are very experienced bikers on here who get injured, I was riding the other day with a guy carrying a broken collar bone. A few weeks ago, one of my riding buddies damaged his ribs so badly that he was off work. Ten weeks ago, on a rideout, one rider made a very tricky descent look so easy that another rider had a go and tore his hamstring at both ends, he was laid up for weeks. There are many such incidents reported on here, but usually only the serious ones. Badly grazed knees & elbows, cuts and lacerations don't get a mention.

If you are resistant to a bike skills course, then make sure that you wear a helmet, specs, gloves, elbow and knee guards as a minimum!

Burnsey

Aug 27, 2021
North West UK
@Burnsey I third the advice given by @Gyre and @The Hodge. Riding a mountain bike is different to riding the sort of bike you probably rode as a youth. There is extra stuff to learn that is not intuitive and will save you learning by bleeding. I urge you to attend an introductory MTB skills course.

There are very experienced bikers on here who get injured, I was riding the other day with a guy carrying a broken collar bone. A few weeks ago, one of my riding buddies damaged his ribs so badly that he was off work. Ten weeks ago, on a rideout, one rider made a very tricky descent look so easy that another rider had a go and tore his hamstring at both ends, he was laid up for weeks. There are many such incidents reported on here, but usually only the serious ones. Badly grazed knees & elbows, cuts and lacerations don't get a mention.

If you are resistant to a bike skills course, then make sure that you wear a helmet, specs, gloves, elbow and knee guards as a minimum!

I'm a motorcyclist, road and trail and despite many mates thinking I'm a bore, I'm a RoSPA member and test holder, so accept training is essential, as is riding within my capabilities.

I also accept the two disciplines are different, but certain skills will pass over. The first aspect is to just see what the bike can do and a quick blast today tells me that is A LOT! just messing with balance and understanding the various modes on the bike etc.

Thanks all.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles