Newbie on a budget.

Tilkian

May 11, 2024
Mount Barker SA
Hey guys, looking at buying my first emtb and am stuck between a rock and a hard place.
I am interested in a mid drive emtb, ideally with dual suspension.
I joined this group because I saw a thread about a fairly new budget e bike called a Valk Titan 9+, there was a good amount of back and forth between the points of view.
So my dilemma is that my budget is $2500 AUD max, 😞 that leaves me with a cheap untested brand with "promise" or what's available in my local second hand market, which isn't a lot.😕
Feel free to eighteen me 😊 but bare in mind that the budget limit has been handed down from the manner herself and nothing will change it. 😅
Cheers guys.

Hobo Mikey

E*POWAH Elite
Subscriber
May 22, 2020
Where ever
Ask her if that budget is every year. If so save for two years and get a better bike. If only for a year you are going to be stuffed if anything needs replacing.
I suggest going for a divorce and with your half of everything you will have a better budget to get a better bike. 👍 😂

NYbiomed

Apr 14, 2024
Hudson Valley, NY
BikesDirect.com has the Motobecane HAL E29 for $2099 US. I have this bike, I like it, I upgraded the fork to a Fox 36 (on sale for $350) and a Shimano XT front hydraulic disc brake ($91). It's not super fancy or the latest and greatest geometry, but it's fun and I have no buyers remorse. Yeah, it's not fancy carbon fiber and weighs 51lbs, but the cost of entry was cheap and really a lot of $6000+ E-bikes also weigh around 50lbs. People get all snobby, but I only get out a couple times a month, so it's hard to justify spending $6k or more, for something that just gonna depreciate year after year. Hey, if your more serious about the sport and get out 2/3x week, then definitely spend what your wallet affords and have fun!
Just my .02 cents.

Last edited:

Tilkian

May 11, 2024
Mount Barker SA
Well I finally got one, managed to get another $500 out of the wife and got a Pedal Titan II from 99 bikes.
It's bottom of the duel suspension emtb range, but you've got to start somewhere right?
Cheers for all of your input, will post more about my experience with it as I go.

IMG20240513200251.jpg

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles