Newbie in Scotland

Ou812

Jun 26, 2022
Fort William
Another newbie here, don’t currently own an E-bike but looking to purchase one soon. I’ve had 5 knee surgeries and both knees have developed arthritis, went from riding pretty much every day to once a week with a 4-5 day recovery period. I’m hoping the E-bike will allow me to ride more like I used too.

Any suggestions on what bike to get? I would normally buy Yeti but my buddy (Yeti dealer) told me to avoid any brand that uses Shimano. I’ve been looking around the UK and it seems the only non-shimano bikes I can find in stock are from Specialized.

Rich-EMTB-UK

E*POWAH Master
Aug 11, 2019
UK
Hi, I have the Yeti 160E T1 and it is a superb bike if you like Yeti's you will love this. So far 300 miles and the EP8 and battery have been spot on while using in the Lakes, Peaks, Torridon and Cairngorms have no fear EP8 is fine. Had a Turbo Levo before which was good but the Yeti is truly on another level. £12k well spent in my view - delivery times being the biggest issue ATM.

militantmandy

Jan 18, 2022
Tweed Valley, Scotland
Shimano bikes are absolutely everywhere. They can't be that bad surely!? So far my Decoy has behaved itself. Unfortunately, with supply the way it is, you might end up choosing on availability.

Ou812

Jun 26, 2022
Fort William
Hi, I have the Yeti 160E T1 and it is a superb bike if you like Yeti's you will love this. So far 300 miles and the EP8 and battery have been spot on while using in the Lakes, Peaks, Torridon and Cairngorms have no fear EP8 is fine. Had a Turbo Levo before which was good but the Yeti is truly on another level. £12k well spent in my view - delivery times being the biggest issue ATM.
I’m definitely a yeti fan, been riding them since 2010 when I get my first 575. My wife and I currently have 7 bikes between us, 4 of those are Yetis. Does your motor rattle? I did a demo on the 160 at my buddies shop, the motor rattling drove me crazy! When I brought it up I was told that’s the shimano rattle and they all do it.

I was looking at the Levo Pro or the S-Works frame only, both are in stock in my size. I have a hard time buying bikes in the UK because of the price difference. I’ll usually go back to the US to buy it, ride it a bit there and bring it back with me. The Levo frame only is a few hundred cheaper here though, still haven’t figured that out.

Rich-EMTB-UK

E*POWAH Master
Aug 11, 2019
UK
I’m definitely a yeti fan, been riding them since 2010 when I get my first 575. My wife and I currently have 7 bikes between us, 4 of those are Yetis. Does your motor rattle? I did a demo on the 160 at my buddies shop, the motor rattling drove me crazy! When I brought it up I was told that’s the shimano rattle and they all do it.

I was looking at the Levo Pro or the S-Works frame only, both are in stock in my size. I have a hard time buying bikes in the UK because of the price difference. I’ll usually go back to the US to buy it, ride it a bit there and bring it back with me. The Levo frame only is a few hundred cheaper here though, still haven’t figured that out.
TBH I have never heard the motor rattle that others talk about, might be my hearing, I have listened for it but can't hear it just hear the bike making the usual off road bike noises when rolling down hill etc. So not an issue for me, I do find that the motor is much better when above 15 mph if you happen to pedal it doesn't immediately go into braking mode like the TL did, so with a following wind you can ride well beyond the fixed max speed. All in all the Yeti is everything I hoped an ebike version of a Yeti would be, it's a Yeti with some assistance for when old legs get tired. Be aware that you do have to keep peddling with an ebike so your legs will still ache after 20 miles or so. I must admit when I ride my ARC sometimes I do end up looking down to check if the motor is on or not before I remember it is not an ebike. Both great bikes, range on the 160e with a good amount of ascending probably around 30-40 miles in trail mode, most I have done was 28 miles with around 800m in the Cairngorms and battery down to around 10% after I blasted the last few miles home in boost mode but I think if I had switched down I could of got around 50 miles out of it.
Bike was built Dec 2021 so ST Unlocker tells me, I got it Feb 2022. Ordered the day they came out and mine was off of the first shipment to the UK.
They do pop up of Facebook etc sometimes when a dealer manages to get hold of one. I know 2 wheels only had a Large C1 in Turn last week, now sold. So worth keeping an eye out.

Last edited:

Ou812

Jun 26, 2022
Fort William
TBH I have never heard the motor rattle that others talk about, might be my hearing, I have listened for it but can't hear it just hear the bike making the usual off road bike noises when rolling down hill etc. So not an issue for me, I do find that the motor is much better when above 15 mph if you happen to pedal it doesn't immediately go into braking mode like the TL did, so with a following wind you can ride well beyond the fixed max speed. All in all the Yeti is everything I hoped an ebike version of a Yeti would be, it's a Yeti with some assistance for when old legs get tired. Be aware that you do have to keep peddling with an ebike so your legs will still ache after 20 miles or so. I must admit when I ride my ARC sometimes I do end up looking down to check if the motor is on or not before I remember it is not an ebike. Both great bikes, range on the 160e with a good amount of ascending probably around 30-40 miles in trail mode, most I have done was 28 miles with around 800m in the Cairngorms and battery down to around 10% after I blasted the last few miles home in boost mode but I think if I had switched down I could of got around 50 miles out of it.
Bike was built Dec 2021 so ST Unlocker tells me, I got it Feb 2022. Ordered the day they came out and mine was off of the first shipment to the UK.
They do pop up of Facebook etc sometimes when a dealer manages to get hold of one. I know 2 wheels only had a Large C1 in Turn last week, now sold. So worth keeping an eye out.
Large seems to be the only size being shipped over here. I’m on a small in all the new Yetis, I found the mediums to be a bit too much to handle with the longer reach/wheelbase of the newer geometry. Most of the dealers over here probably won’t even order any smalls, I know a few I checked don’t even list my size.

Ou812

Jun 26, 2022
Fort William
Forget what model bike, your in Scotland so your half way there regardless of bike :)
I've just got back from 2 weeks holiday :( on the Argyle coast . Paradise compared to the midlands canal paths.
The cottage garden.

Roll on next years annual Scottish holiday we booked while away, less remote but maybe more trails at the bottom of Ben Nevis seen below .

[/ur
Sorry for spamming but its a beautiful part of the uk.
I’ve lived here almost 2 years now. I’m just outside of Glencoe Village, basically halfway between Glencoe Mountain Resort and Nevis Range. My wife is from Edinburgh but we ended up in the highlands after moving back here from the Middle East. It’s definitely beautiful up here….everything except for the damn midges!

Reactions: mak

stonedwolf

Mar 13, 2022
Glasgow
Don't be shy about looking at the Decathlon bikes e.g. Stilus. They're cheap and Bosch and (really) made by Lombardo.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles