Newbie in late 40s, Feeling excited bout Emtbiking!

WillowPPG

Jun 5, 2020
Cookridge, Leeds W.Yorks
Ive just recently been introduced to the Emtb scene and i love it already!
Im 48, not in the best shape, seriously unfit, and sporting many knee,shoulder,back and hip problems
that i thought my Mtb days were long behind me. My old trusty Landrover G4 challenge full sus mtb
languishing in its sheddy tomb at the bottom of my garden, as it had done for many years, only being
brought back to life for a uneventful flat trip around Roundhay Park lake every once in a blue moon and
that was about as much as this short sad fat body could handle that was until my mate Paul invited
me out on a ride to Leeds Bike park at Middleton and then the next day out into the wilds above
Bradford & Halifax on his spare Giant Emtb.
I couldn't believe how this combination of old familiar engineering combined with modern tech just
peeled back the years and about 5 stone in weight! I felt like a kid again with the wind in my face and a
smile so wide, even my portly head struggled to contain it within its circumference.
So...
That was 2 weeks ago, and all ive thought about is buying a bike and getting back on it
I've got a few bikes on my wish list Cube stereo hybrid 160, Haibike Xduro Nduro 2.0 & 5.0, Render 9.0,
Specialized turbo levo comp etc etc
I'm looking to buy a new bike, ( especially if there are discounts for Key workers or even take advantage of the
Mrs's unidays id for student discounts...does anybody know of any? i seen one place offering 15%!)
but wouldn't dismiss 2nd hand, especially since the Mrs quite likes the idea of Emtbiking so i can see this
getting expensive...as these things do
Looking for a 500Batt and over and at least 150mm of travel front n rear, dropper post etc
Anyway,
Thankyou for reading the above, sorry if my Emtb terminology isnt up to speed just yet (it's work in progress)
and if anyone has any tips to find new/2nd or deals etc please let me know
and thank you admin for adding me to the group
Cheers
Andi "Willow" Hudson

HenBogan

Jun 2, 2020
Sheffield
Hi Andi,

I am mid 40s and recently bought a new E-bike; I went for the Focus Jam2 with the new Bosch motor (4th gen) and 625wh battery and I absolutely love it.

I rode the other day and did just under 30 miles, mainly in turbo and only used 2 bars (of 5).

My Budget was £4k and the bikes I considered were the YT Decoy, Focus Sam2, Jam2 and the Orbea Wild FS H25.

There are so many brilliant bikes to choose from; I am sure you will make a great choice.

WillowPPG

Jun 5, 2020
Cookridge, Leeds W.Yorks
Hi Andi,

I am mid 40s and recently bought a new E-bike; I went for the Focus Jam2 with the new Bosch motor (4th gen) and 625wh battery and I absolutely love it.

I rode the other day and did just under 30 miles, mainly in turbo and only used 2 bars (of 5).

My Budget was £4k and the bikes I considered were the YT Decoy, Focus Sam2, Jam2 and the Orbea Wild FS H25.

There are so many brilliant bikes to choose from; I am sure you will make a great choice.

Thanks for the reply
The focus bikes are on my list too, as you say there are so many, the competition between all these companies means that
it is US the consumers who are just spoiled for choice with Emtbs that are fully loaded with great features,
the hard bit literally is trying to work out which of these many combinations works or appeals on a personal level, which is why i think
a great deal of the time from what ive seen on Youtube and read , it comes down to what you like the look of the most (y):)?‍♂️

Keggie

Mar 12, 2019
Suffolk
Im 48, not in the best shape, seriously unfit, and sporting many knee,shoulder,back and hip problems
that i thought my Mtb days were long behind me. My old trusty Landrover G4 challenge full sus mtb
languishing in its sheddy tomb at the bottom of my garden, as it had done for many years, only being
brought back to life for a uneventful flat trip around Roundhay Park lake every once in a blue moon and
that was about as much as this short sad fat body could handle that was until my mate Paul invited
me out on a ride to Leeds Bike park at Middleton and then the next day out into the wilds above
I couldn't believe how this combination of old familiar engineering combined with modern tech just
peeled back the years and about 5 stone in weight! I felt like a kid again with the wind in my face and a
smile so wide, even my portly head struggled to contain it within its circumference.
So...
That was 2 weeks ago, and all ive thought about is buying a bike and getting back on it
I've got a few bikes on my wish list Cube stereo hybrid 160, Haibike Xduro Nduro 2.0 & 5.0, Render 9.0,
I'm looking to buy a new bike, ( especially if there are discounts for Key workers or even take advantage of the
Mrs's unidays id for student discounts...does anybody know of any? i seen one place offering 15%!)
but wouldn't dismiss 2nd hand, especially since the Mrs quite likes the idea of Emtbiking so i can see this
Looking for a 500Batt and over and at least 150mm of travel front n rear, dropper post etc
Anyway,
Thankyou for reading the above, sorry if my Emtb terminology isnt up to speed just yet (it's work in progress)
Cheers
Andi "Willow" Hudson
image.jpg
Hi Andy
I’m 47 with the usual age related ailments and 7years on from a heart attack, best hobby I’ve found ,a year into emtb And lovin it , Ebikes should be put on prescription . It’s not the prettiest but what a load of fun, Got the bug I can’t help treating it to upgrades.

WillowPPG

Jun 5, 2020
Cookridge, Leeds W.Yorks
Hi Andy
I’m 47 with the usual age related ailments and 7years on from a heart attack, best hobby I’ve found ,a year into emtb And lovin it , Ebikes should be put on prescription . It’s not the prettiest but what a load of fun, Got the bug I can’t help treating it to upgrades.

Go you! Love the prescription comment, its so true
& hey you've had a brush with the Reaper to know you cant take the cash with you, so why not
treat yourself & your bike to a few upgrades!
More Epowah to ya my friend (y) ?‍♂️ ⚡:)

Keggie

Mar 12, 2019
Suffolk
Go you! Love the prescription comment, its so true
& hey you've had a brush with the Reaper to know you cant take the cash with you, so why not
treat yourself & your bike to a few upgrades!
More Epowah to ya my friend (y) ?‍♂️ ⚡:)
I’ve upgraded the hell out of my Nduro 2.0 ,hope to order a Orange Phase next February .

Keggie

Mar 12, 2019
Suffolk
So...
Anyway,
Cheers
Andi "Willow" Hudson
I’ve upgraded the hell out of my Nduro 2.0 ,hope to order a Orange Phase next February .
Andi my advice when choosing a bike is to Test ride as many As you can , my brother was ebike sceptic until March this year when he took himself off to his lbs in Bangor and came back with a cube katmando hybrid for his 25mile a day commute, he’s enjoyed it so much he is now waiting for his cube stereo 140 625 tm weekend bike to arrive. I bought my without riding it not the best idea but got it for just over 3k the upgrades have cost about 1.1k Won’t bother replacing th NX 11speed unless I smash it off on a ride it’s reasonably bullet proof ,I could tidy up the cockpit but then that will require a GX shifter a replacement dropper post lever and then a pair of problem solver adapters a bit of faf for looks . Anyway I digress,Good luck Andi you won’t regret it .

TrailBoB

Apr 27, 2020
Scotland
So...
Anyway,
Cheers
Andi "Willow" Hudson

Andi
Welcome to emtb not been on too long myself. Mid 50's need a bit of fitness in my life, had a heart attack 5 years since so need to keep on top of things. I had a analogue mtb, but just wanted the extra zip needed to get me outmore often. I'm from Yorkshire too like yourself, Barnsley originally but live in Scotland just outside Glasgow. Like a few suggestions made in reply to your post I too bought a Jam 2 in lockdown. 20% off list from Sprockets cycles, nothing like a good deal to make a Yorkshireman happy. Cracking bike to get into emtbing. What you will find whilst looking, is they all have there pitfalls & good points too, it's down to the individual & the type of use it will be put through. Happy shopping. ???

WillowPPG

Jun 5, 2020
Cookridge, Leeds W.Yorks
Andi my advice when choosing a bike is to Test ride as many As you can , my brother was ebike sceptic until March this year when he took himself off to his lbs in Bangor and came back with a cube katmando hybrid for his 25mile a day commute, he’s enjoyed it so much he is now waiting for his cube stereo 140 625 tm weekend bike to arrive. I bought my without riding it not the best idea but got it for just over 3k the upgrades have cost about 1.1k Won’t bother replacing th NX 11speed unless I smash it off on a ride it’s reasonably bullet proof ,I could tidy up the cockpit but then that will require a GX shifter a replacement dropper post lever and then a pair of problem solver adapters a bit of faf for looks . Anyway I digress,Good luck Andi you won’t regret it .

I like the idea of looking at the bikes in the "flesh" so to speak, its how ive always done with purchases, unfortunately not all the bike shops
in my area are open due to the obvious carry on atm.
Im trying to resist the temptation to impulse buy over the tinterweb, but each day i get online, its getting harder to resist!:oops::eek::cool:;):)

WillowPPG

Jun 5, 2020
Cookridge, Leeds W.Yorks
Wow ! its amazing how many of us in just this short thread have had heart attacks!
i have to confess, i too had a heart attack but years ago, in 1994. I caught a virus which gave me
a condition called pericarditis which lead to the attack. I guess growing up in the 70s as much as
from a childhood point of view was great, also the diet choices our parents made for us, probably
weren't always the best :D
Im gonna check out sprockets, see what deals n bikes they have
( like you say, Us Yorkshire folk love a Bargain! )
I think i have realised that it is always gonna be a compromise with the equipment on the various
bikes and makes, but then like Keggie said earlier, it gives us the excuse to buy the upgrades
to build the bike we want (y)?‍♂️:D

Keggie

Mar 12, 2019
Suffolk
I like the idea of looking at the bikes in the "flesh" so to speak, its how ive always done with purchases, unfortunately not all the bike shops
in my area are open due to the obvious carry on atm.
Im trying to resist the temptation to impulse buy over the tinterweb, but each day i get online, its getting harder to resist!:oops::eek::cool:;):)
Yep, don’t I know that

Rich Jones 16

Dec 24, 2020
Essen Germany
So...
Anyway,
Cheers
Andi "Willow" Hudson
Hi Andi - what did you get in the end? In a similar position - over 40 and carry a few too many kg - and looking to increase the amount of riding I do in 2021
Rich

TrailBoB

Apr 27, 2020
Scotland
Hi Andi - what did you get in the end? In a similar position - over 40 and carry a few too many kg - and looking to increase the amount of riding I do in 2021
Rich
Hi Rich. Not too sure what bike Andi got, but from the waiting times for delivery that I’ve heard about on here, if you haven’t got an order in for a bike you’ed be lucky to get one before the 2022 models are announced. Some who’ve ordered Focus bikes last Sept/Oct, have been quoted May & June delivery dates. The demand is so high, also with Covid I dare say production has been hit & I can see brexit having a say in delivery schedules as well. Great to hear that we’re getting a new member the forum though. Good luck?

Rich Jones 16

Dec 24, 2020
Essen Germany
Hi Rich. Not too sure what bike Andi got, but from the waiting times for delivery that I’ve heard about on here, if you haven’t got an order in for a bike you’ed be lucky to get one before the 2022 models are announced. Some who’ve ordered Focus bikes last Sept/Oct, have been quoted May & June delivery dates. The demand is so high, also with Covid I dare say production has been hit & I can see brexit having a say in delivery schedules as well. Great to hear that we’re getting a new member the forum though. Good luck?
Thanks, I am trying to find reasons not to order a radon render 9.0 - I live in Germany so delivery should not be an issue, if there are any to buy. Just going through the alternatives, but the max load of 135kg makes the render a good option for a portly gent ?

TrailBoB

Apr 27, 2020
Scotland
Thanks, I am trying to find reasons not to order a radon render 9.0 - I live in Germany so delivery should not be an issue, if there are any to buy. Just going through the alternatives, but the max load of 135kg makes the render a good option for a portly gent ?
The max load rating on a lot of models is fairly conservative, with about 15-20% wiggle room on some, I’m led to believe. Like you say deliver won’t be affected by brexit in mainland Europe, but do you still have the big lead times, from the time of ordering though.?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles