Newbie here just visited shop in good ole NYS/ USA and the dealer told me after January 1st bike prices go up 25%.

Basy

Mar 23, 2018
Australia
Australia implemented an ebike tax after stealth had a whinge that imported bikes (literally all good pedal assist bikes) were going to ruin their business. That's what I heard anyway.

Geoff

Aug 21, 2018
Australia
Australia implemented an ebike tax after stealth had a whinge that imported bikes (literally all good pedal assist bikes) were going to ruin their business. That's what I heard anyway.
And Stealth at the time didn't even have a bike in their range that could be legally used anywhere in Australia except on private property. People that buy pedal assist e-bikes (commuter, road, or mtb varieties) are not going to be buying these 40-50kg sudo electric motor bikes. I don't think Stealth's business was ever really under any threat from imported "Legal" pedal assist e-bikes.

Ebike price shock - Bicycle Network Australia

Last edited:

Geoff

Aug 21, 2018
Australia
Has anyone heard this? If so that will certainly slow down any high end home sales here. Guess I waited to long to try to get on E bike wagon.
Ouch, 25% is huge. I thought 5% here in Australia was bad enough. Looks to be true. Multiple articles located via a google search seem to confirm. This new tariff which is supposed to protect, will end up hurting both American consumers and American businesses.

Basy

Mar 23, 2018
Australia
And Stealth at the time didn't even have a bike in their range that could be legally used anywhere in Australia except on private property. People that buy pedal assist e-bikes (commuter, road, or mtb varieties) are not going to be buying these 40-50kg sudo electric motor bikes. I don't think Stealth's business was ever really under any threat from imported "Legal" pedal assist e-bikes.

Ebike price shock - Bicycle Network Australia

Yeah I hate them. Seen one out on the trails once fanging around like a motorbike. Nothing like a MTB.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles