Newbie from South Oxfordshire UK

LFB01

Jan 23, 2020
South Oxon
Hello Everyone

Just joined , i found the site via Rob's reviews etc on Youtube

I have been a long term analog mtb,er and owner a myriad of bikes from XC to Dirt Jump to DH. I have had a 7 year hiatus from ridding and the scene due to the arrival of 2 kids, costly and lengthy house building work and setting up my own business.

In a attempt to get back out there and get some fitness back, plus help with the general state of my mind i have been contemplating getting a ebike, to hopefully make the entry back into the scene slightly easier and a lot mote fun. I rode at Afan last may and hired a cannondale moterra which was a complete revelation and dam good fun.

I have been looking at the Levo expert (I went into Berkshire cycles, Crowthorne and had quick spin round the block on a large and medium today) the Trek Rail (not that i have seen one in person yet). I am hopping to take a Levo out for a proper ride this week end. Is there any other bikes i should consider?

looking forward to reading all the post to catch up.

Cheers Tom LFB01 ( lazy fat bas~&$d 01)!

MinusPrevious

Sep 5, 2019
So.Cal
Hi Tom

Great story & welcome to the group

Im a Giant Trance rider so cant comment too much on the LEVO other than its our most widely owned bike on this forum. Read the Specialized forum posts before deciding

Cheers, Joe

LFB01

Jan 23, 2020
South Oxon
Hi Tom

Great story & welcome to the group

Im a Giant Trance rider so cant comment too much on the LEVO other than its our most widely owned bike on this forum. Read the Specialized forum posts before deciding

Cheers, Joe

Thanks Joe, yes it seemed like i was summing up my last 10 years in a couple of paragraphs!
what giant do you have any good?

MinusPrevious

Sep 5, 2019
So.Cal
Tom

On a 2019 Trance 2 & have logged 530 miles since Aug 2019. Its been a blast for sure.

Dont let the weight issue be your deciding factor. Giants are heavy but handle so well & the motor takes away any minor weight differences between bikes.

Check out motor reliability before deciding. So far, the Yamaha motors seem super robust!

LFB01

Jan 23, 2020
South Oxon
Tom

On a 2019 Trance 2 & have logged 530 miles since Aug 2019. Its been a blast for sure.

Dont let the weight issue be your deciding factor. Giants are heavy but handle so well & the motor takes away any minor weight differences between bikes.

Check out motor reliability before deciding. So far, the Yamaha motors seem super robust!
Ok thanks for the info/advise

ImSundee

Jan 20, 2020
Oxford
Hey Tom!

I'm from Oxford, and currently in the same situation as you trying to work out what to get, I think I'm pretty muhc decided on the Levo Comp tho. Wont be getting one for a month or so tho, dont want to spend the money if I wont use it - I'm comming back from a few years of downtime due to injury!

Jim25

Jan 23, 2020
London
Hey, I demo'd a trek rail yesterday down in Peaslake.
Was really impressed with how it rides on the downs, first time on a 29er and was surprised how well in handles.
The Trek seems much better price wise compared to the Levo that I'm not going to bother trying the Levo at all!
I'm interested in an Orbea wild fs as well.

LFB01

Jan 23, 2020
South Oxon
Hey Tom!

I'm from Oxford, and currently in the same situation as you trying to work out what to get, I think I'm pretty muhc decided on the Levo Comp tho. Wont be getting one for a month or so tho, dont want to spend the money if I wont use it - I'm comming back from a few years of downtime due to injury!
Hi ImSundee
It is good to know that there is some one else in the same situation as me in the same area. It’s a mine feild of trying to work out what is best/test riding. Where abouts in Ox are you? The Levos I test rode today where amazing it was like riding (what I recall/remember) a DH bike used to be like. It rode some much Better than my original nomad I brought in early 2000’s.

ImSundee

Jan 20, 2020
Oxford
Hi ImSundee
It is good to know that there is some one else in the same situation as me in the same area. It’s a mine feild of trying to work out what is best/test riding. Where abouts in Ox are you? The Levos I test rode today where amazing it was like riding (what I recall/remember) a DH bike used to be like. It rode some much Better than my original nomad I brought in early 2000’s.

I'm actually in Oxford - close to the base of Shotover.

I've been into Beeline On Cowley road and sat on the Levo, and It really reminded me of my Old Demo 8 - which I think sold me even more. I've heard nothing but amazing stories on the Levo, and people that ride alot of biles seem to heavily rate it - Looking at your Rob.

LFB01

Jan 23, 2020
South Oxon
I went out on this yesterday (Levo come medoum) and did 22ish miles on, off and sound the mud clogging ridgeway, it was great fun. I only used four bars of the battery, you must be able to get some crazy mileage out of these! It felt like riding a DH bike on Xc trails. I mainly found it in the first and second setting and turned it of fir the first mile to warm up. I am not keen on how long the new design of bikes seem to be, it feels a lot less playable but this may come with time and confidence on the bike. You seem to have to let the bike do it’s own thing whilst you put in some effort to make it move where you want it to go. Getting it off the ground took quiet a lot of speed, but when it does, it flys well!! I am going to do another 20/25 this afternoon, then hopefully take a trek rail out next weekend to try to get a good comparison.

79D036AF-F52A-4693-BFC0-71A859CDD17F.jpeg

94D781CE-7918-4B90-998B-36B684BA22A5.jpeg

Sep 21, 2019
Oxfordshire England
I was at Forest of Dean yesterday on my 2020 Levo Comp. 2500ft of climbing over 18 miles and 54 % battery remaining which is excellent. Worth a look at Specialized Concept Store in Newbury and there sister shop next door Banjo cycles. They have a good range of e bikes between them. Service is excellent

LFB01

Jan 23, 2020
South Oxon
I was at Forest of Dean yesterday on my 2020 Levo Comp. 2500ft of climbing over 18 miles and 54 % battery remaining which is excellent. Worth a look at Specialized Concept Store in Newbury and there sister shop next door Banjo cycles. They have a good range of e bikes between them. Service is excellent
HI Ridgeway rider, The Demo bike is from The Concept store in Newbury. It’s a good 20/30 min closer to me than Berkshire Cycles so way more convient than Crowthorne but it may be a toss up between conviency/knowledge and or helpfulness, not sure yet as my shop experience limited as of yet. What brands if Ebikes do they have in Banjo? Is that where you got yours from, did you get a good deal on yours? Berkshire cycles are doing good deals on new ones. Given your name you must be localish?

Sep 21, 2019
Oxfordshire England
HI Ridgeway rider, The Demo bike is from The Concept store in Newbury. It’s a good 20/30 min closer to me than Berkshire Cycles so way more convient than Crowthorne but it may be a toss up between conviency/knowledge and or helpfulness, not sure yet as my shop experience limited as of yet. What brands if Ebikes do they have in Banjo? Is that where you got yours from, did you get a good deal on yours? Berkshire cycles are doing good deals on new ones. Given your name you must be localish?

Sep 21, 2019
Oxfordshire England
I bought mine from Specialized Newbury but also considered Crowthorne. Newbury gave me a good deal so went with them and no regrets. Specialized have a good warranty so your pretty safe either way. From memory Banjo had Whyte and Giant and maybe another. If your interested in Trek then I highly recommend Ridgeway cycles in Wantage who are Trek dealers. I know for a fact they provide excellent service as my mate is a bike wrecker and they have always sorted him out on warranty.

ImSundee

Jan 20, 2020
Oxford
I went out on this yesterday (Levo come medoum) and did 22ish miles on, off and sound the mud clogging ridgeway, it was great fun. I only used four bars of the battery, you must be able to get some crazy mileage out of these! It felt like riding a DH bike on Xc trails. I mainly found it in the first and second setting and turned it of fir the first mile to warm up. I am not keen on how long the new design of bikes seem to be, it feels a lot less playable but this may come with time and confidence on the bike. You seem to have to let the bike do it’s own thing whilst you put in some effort to make it move where you want it to go. Getting it off the ground took quiet a lot of speed, but when it does, it flys well!! I am going to do another 20/25 this afternoon, then hopefully take a trek rail out next weekend to try to get a good comparison.

Thats really good! Didn't know about the speciailized store there. Did they charge you much for the hire/loan?

LFB01

Jan 23, 2020
South Oxon
Thats really good! Didn't know about the speciailized store there. Did they charge you much for the hire/loan?
Hi ImSundee it was £50 deposit for the weekend and I should get that back if bike is the same condition as it was when taken. They even said I could take it to wales for w/e if I wanted!

ImSundee

Jan 20, 2020
Oxford
Hi ImSundee it was £50 deposit for the weekend and I should get that back if bike is the same condition as it was when taken. They even said I could take it to wales for w/e if I wanted!

Wow that is pretty good! Will def have to do that for a weekend before I purchase one.

LFB01

Jan 23, 2020
South Oxon
I bought mine from Specialized Newbury but also considered Crowthorne. Newbury gave me a good deal so went with them and no regrets. Specialized have a good warranty so your pretty safe either way. From memory Banjo had Whyte and Giant and maybe another. If your interested in Trek then I highly recommend Ridgeway cycles in Wantage who are Trek dealers. I know for a fact they provide excellent service as my mate is a bike wrecker and they have always sorted him out on warranty.

Ha ha, I used to work part time at Ridgeway cycles many many years ago!! I was speaking to the owner last night about demoing then rail soon. Unfortunately I am like your mate, I seem to get through parts/bikeS quicker than average ride which is part of my worry when buying a expensive ebike!

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles