Newbie from Neath, South Wales

notfub

Apr 20, 2019
South Wales
Hi All,
I'm in the process of selling my Cannondale Trigger 2 Carbon in order to buy my first e-mtb, but will keep an old 2012 Trek Superfly for rides out with the Mrs.

I'm nearly 50 and suffer from a dodgy knee (cartilage slowly disappearing) so have been thinking about making the switch before my knee finally cries enough and I have to have a partial knee replacement.

For riding, I do a lot of XC stuff, with the odd blast up Afan and more recently the Forest of Dean. I have also recently taken part in the Battle on the Beach down Pembrey (much tougher than I thought).

As for bikes, I've been looking at what's affordable (ideally sub £4k) and what could cope with the type of riding I'll be aiming to do. My shortlist so far includes;
  1. Commencal Meta Power 27 & 29
  2. Canyon Spectral/Neuron ON:7
  3. Vitus e-sommet VR
A mate of mine has recently made the switch to a Cube E-MTB and I has a quick blast on it. Huge fun if a little bit heavy, but it's certainly made me think of what's important......having a damn good laugh.

Last edited:

dathers

May 6, 2019
Cumbria
I've just turned 60, have no lateral cartilage in my right knee at all, just bought a 2nd hand cube e-mtb and its absolutely brilliant. I live in Cumbria so the trails are good here too, I'd say just do it. BTW can't find a VR for love nor money before Nov/Dec

notfub

Apr 20, 2019
South Wales
I've just turned 60, have no lateral cartilage in my right knee at all, just bought a 2nd hand cube e-mtb and its absolutely brilliant. I live in Cumbria so the trails are good here too, I'd say just do it. BTW can't find a VR for love nor money before Nov/Dec
Wow! How do you manage with your knee? I want to avoid surgery for as long as possible.
Glad that you are enjoying your riding at 60, keep it up(y)

dathers

May 6, 2019
Cumbria
dunno, was told at 40 i'd need a new one by the time i was 50, but to keep working with it etc, anyway guess i'm lucky in some respects, massive difference between left and right leg quads, but just keep plugging on. mind over matter lol

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles