Newbie from AZ, USA

shakazulu12

Jan 18, 2024
Phoenix, AZ
Figured I would say "Hi".

Been lurking for a bit. Used to not really care about e-bikes (was never against them), but now I'm in the middle of a "Lightweight vs full fat" internal debate and reading up on everyone's experiences. Hopefully I'll be posting up my new ride in the coming months!

RustyIron

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Jun 5, 2021
La Habra, California
If you like big rides, big hills, and big chunk, a big bike is the way to go. You've got a top-tier manufacturer right across town. They make a lightweight, a heavyweight, and a middleweight.

Last edited:

Kyle_AZ_eMTB

Feb 5, 2021
Arizona
Figured I would say "Hi".

Been lurking for a bit. Used to not really care about e-bikes (was never against them), but now I'm in the middle of a "Lightweight vs full fat" internal debate and reading up on everyone's experiences. Hopefully I'll be posting up my new ride in the coming months!
It really depends on who (or if) you are riding with others, and what they are on. If you anticipate riding solo then test SL, mid and full powered. Pivot has great shuttle options and they are all pretty amazing. Being local you get some super deals compared to their MSRP. Or, go with the rock solid Levo.

shakazulu12

Jan 18, 2024
Phoenix, AZ
It really depends on who (or if) you are riding with others, and what they are on. If you anticipate riding solo then test SL, mid and full powered. Pivot has great shuttle options and they are all pretty amazing. Being local you get some super deals compared to their MSRP. Or, go with the rock solid Levo.

Oh whoa, talk to me about the Pivot deals. I wasn't aware of any special ones.

For me, I tend to ride solo, but I kinda have a different take on how I currently think I'm going to use this. As I won't be giving up riding my regular bike. This will let me ride more days though. My initial thought was a lightweight, but the reality is, I'm planning on using it more as a training tool on recovery days. Yeah I know, I'll probably be singing a different tune a few months in:) I really over-exerted myself last summer and don't want to repeat that disaster for my health. So that made me think full fat for more laps and going up as fast as possible.

I'm bumming rides off friends bikes here shortly, recovering from a broken wrist at the moment but hoping to get some time on trail next week on a couple different bikes.

Kyle_AZ_eMTB

Feb 5, 2021
Arizona

For me, I tend to ride solo, but I kinda have a different take on how I currently think I'm going to use this. As I won't be giving up riding my regular bike. This will let me ride more days though. My initial thought was a lightweight, but the reality is, I'm planning on using it more as a training tool on recovery days. Yeah I know, I'll probably be singing a different tune a few months in:) I really over-exerted myself last summer and don't want to repeat that disaster for my health. So that made me think full fat for more laps and going up as fast as possible.

I'm bumming rides off friends bikes here shortly, recovering from a broken wrist at the moment but hoping to get some time on trail next week on a couple different bikes.
In person, cash deals can be had pretty easily. Try Sonoran Cycles Bike Shop.

TCFlowClyde

Feb 26, 2022
Mesa, AZ
Now that I think about it. The SW field rep for Pivot used to own the bike shop in Portland where I lived before. He built my Spire himself! Forgot he moved down here last year.
The Pivot HQ is in South PHX...I demo rode both Shuttle full and SL last year. They were kind enough to do the Shuttle full after being disappointed of the Fazua 60. $50 (+ T-shirt😁) for half-day demo on their website. If I could afford both that would be key. The SL for solo trail XCish riding and fitness, the Shuttle for full Enduro and group E-mtb riding.

Already had a full and just did a lowered powered, lighter Bafang M820-75Nm/720 Wh Enduro rig (38 forks). Luv'n it. The Pivot SL was nice but needed more power, more battery, and more travel.

Last edited:

Paulquattro

E*POWAH Elite
May 7, 2020
The Darkside
Welcome
Personally I would go full power
Main reason being as I don’t want to be worried about battery range on big rides
If you only do small rides with not as much climbing then this will differ your choice and probably would mine πŸ‘

mike_kelly

Subscriber
Aug 11, 2022
US
To me it is what feel you want. I wanted a MTB with a little assist, not an electric motorcycle. I also wanted light weight so I can throw the bike around on single track not something that wights 55lbs.

Kyle_AZ_eMTB

Feb 5, 2021
Arizona
To me it is what feel you want. I wanted a MTB with a little assist, not an electric motorcycle. I also wanted light weight so I can throw the bike around on single track not something that wights 55lbs.
Shaka.. if you are used to riding a motorcycle than comparing any eMTB to a moto is not helpful advice.

I have owned and pushed dirtbikes, dual purpose, and adventure bikes. I also have owned a mid-powered Orbea Rise, and now own a Levo. A class 1 full powered eMTB since it doesn't have a throttle and is fully dependent upon pedal strokes for forward momentum is still an option for "a MTB with a little assist" as you can dial up, or down the level of support you'd like.

Yup, lots of good suggestions including all that @mike_kelly suggested. Just wanted to offer up some clarity from my experience and perspective. Enjoy whatever you get, and budget to purchase two :cool:

mike_kelly

Subscriber
Aug 11, 2022
US
Yes you need to ride some offerings to get the idea of what people are talking about. Also I agree you have control of the amount of assist and you can tailor the settings in the computer to your taste on many but not all bikes. But you can't change the weight. A full power bike is going to be heavier. If you ride with a group and you want to keep up as your primary requirement then a full power machine is probably required. If you are an enduro rider and want to use the bike to shuttle up all the time then more power is probably required.
If you are a trail rider and ride by yourself then a lightweight lower power bike works well. If you ride epic all day rides then look for the total internal and external battery available.
If you go for short rides after work get a smaller lighter battery rig.

shakazulu12

Jan 18, 2024
Phoenix, AZ
Yeah. I'm fortunate enough to have friends with various flavors of ebikes. So I'll borrow them for a few rides here in the next couple weeks. Somewhat predictably, they all think their decision was the best ever and everyone else is stupid. But at least they will let me ride theirs and form my own.

Kyle, I did previously race motorcycles, so I'm used to throwing around a 420 pound bike with 200hp that's trying to kill you at all times. All mountain bikes feel like toys between my legs to me :)

TCFlowClyde

Feb 26, 2022
Mesa, AZ
Yeah. I'm fortunate enough to have friends with various flavors of ebikes. So I'll borrow them for a few rides here in the next couple weeks. Somewhat predictably, they all think their decision was the best ever and everyone else is stupid. But at least they will let me ride theirs and form my own.

Kyle, I did previously race motorcycles, so I'm used to throwing around a 420 pound bike with 200hp that's trying to kill you at all times. All mountain bikes feel like toys between my legs to me :)
There are so many top 10 emtbs out there! Just a matter of price point, riding style, and preferences.

However, want to see more higher spec, under 5-6k USD. Getting too pricey lately at 12-14k.🀯

Hotrod

Nov 30, 2023
So Cal
AZ has so many opportunities for long rides, I would personally opt for high power. But like it has been said, the only way to know for yourself is testing various bikes. For me cost was a big issue as I had to buy 2 bikes, so finding the best value was a big piece in my decision as well as my age. Whatever you land on, the smile an EMTB brings to your face will make you think twice when selecting what bike you decide to ride that day.

TCFlowClyde

Feb 26, 2022
Mesa, AZ
AZ has so many opportunities for long rides, I would personally opt for high power. But like it has been said, the only way to know for yourself is testing various bikes. For me cost was a big issue as I had to buy 2 bikes, so finding the best value was a big piece in my decision as well as my age. Whatever you land on, the smile an EMTB brings to your face will make you think twice when selecting what bike you decide to ride that day.
Plus, now 3rd party battery extenders are coming online in the last year or so. Especially for the mid-powered rigs.πŸ’ͺ

But I opted to go 900+ Wh upgrade on my full-powered to give a little extra insurance on more epic rides. I previously had two 450 Wh (too small) and pack the other as backup. It worked, but it's sure nice not to have literally hump it on your back when more vital pack supplies are needed on long ones!πŸ‘Š

Last edited:

TCFlowClyde

Feb 26, 2022
Mesa, AZ
" I won't be giving up riding my regular bike."
πŸ˜„πŸ˜†πŸ˜‚
πŸ’―My E-mtb IS my regular bike!πŸ˜‰

Nope to analogue...boring! Sold 'em off to make room for all 3 e's: πŸ‘Š

βœ… mid-powered for solo/fitness
βœ… full-powered for groups/mountains/epic
βœ… fat-full powered for the sand and snow/occasional commuter.🍻

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland

Good luck on riding the regular bike regularly once you have the ebike bug πŸ˜„

shakazulu12

Jan 18, 2024
Phoenix, AZ
Good luck on riding the regular bike regularly once you have the ebike bug πŸ˜„

I mean...........if we get an ebike racing class in the enduro series around here. Then yeah, I could see that happening:ROFLMAO:

I saw that Bootleg Canyon did add an Ebike race. But I regularly ride in areas that aren't Ebike friendly like Sedona. Plus trips to the bike parks etc. I should just get a Crestline to match my Crestline DH bike for vanity's sake, but I'm not quite there in my head that I want to go that far.

shakazulu12

Jan 18, 2024
Phoenix, AZ
I made up my mind.

1710969817745.png

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles