New Whyte E160 s 2023 owner ready to shred (try to)

Redge1992

Jun 7, 2023
Monmouthshire
Heyy, picked up my Whyte E160 s and loving it so far. Only 3 rides down but so addicting! No issues yet other than a rattly sound from motor over real bumpy terrain, be interested to hear of other people who ride Whytes experienced with noisy motors. Cheeers,

Redge

JonnyManc

Apr 18, 2023
Cumbria
Congrats mate

I pick up mine next week (after invisiframing plus some extras) and I can't wait .... Wonder if the missus will notice I'm gone for days on end 🤔

Ark

Mar 8, 2023
Newcastle Upon Tyne
@Jonnymac seems like you've been waiting a long time :O bet your missus will be glad to get rid of you :ROFLMAO:

Heyy, picked up my Whyte E160 s and loving it so far. Only 3 rides down but so addicting! No issues yet other than a rattly sound from motor over real bumpy terrain, be interested to hear of other people who ride Whytes experienced with noisy motors. Cheeers,

Redge

Here's my experiences after 550 miles hat might be helpful for you

I get a rattle noise but only when I hit like 15.5mph sounds almost like rattling metal plates? I'm not sure if it's the motor or the front brake disc though.
my front disc was zinging pretty bad from the store, I had to try and recentre the calliper 3x before it finally went silent but it still rubs ever so slightly. so I don't know if it's the motor or the front disc rattling at high speed.

The chain that comes with the bike lasts for around 550-600 miles I just changed mine at 550 upgrading to an XX1 chain that should last 4x as long.

Jockey wheel bearings still fine at 550miles, repacked the bearings in both with grease but they did look clean anyway ( both jockey wheels are full bearings btw not crappy bushings)
actual jockey wheels looked band new once cleaned, probably only worth checking every 12 months.

chain started jumping around on the cassette at 400 miles ish from chain stretch on the gear cable.
just rotate the barrel adjuster counter clockwise slowly until it goes through the whole gear range again and that is the small sweet spot [only a tiny tension window where it will go from the smallest cog to the tallest]

My tyres are still looking good.

I had a slight knocking sound when lifting the bike up by the top tube just as the rear wheel left the ground, tightened the t25 torx bolts mounting the rear suspension to the frame up to 5nm and it went away.

if you need to raise the dropper post higher out the frame for long legs and it won't pull up then you need to remove the battery as it seems to snag the cable.

Rear maxxle on mine worked it self loose by a few rotations, so keep an eye on both of those.

0 punctures so far running with tubes like the bike came.

btw with the chain off and turning the cranks my motor still feels butter smooth ♥️ Bosch

Last edited:

Redge1992

Jun 7, 2023
Monmouthshire
Cheers @Ark for the helpful tips and I will certainly keep an eye out for these problems you have experienced 😁

@Jonnymac Thats exciting! What model you go for? I did the invisiframing too, bit annoying as i just wanted to ride it haha. But defo worth doing before you take it out on the trails.

JonnyManc

Apr 18, 2023
Cumbria
I went for the e160 s in black, but getting my purple hope tech 3 E4's swapped onto it, new saddle (don't like the stock, so uncomfortable) and invisiframed...... So pretty much a full day booked onto my bike.

I'll post pics when I finally get it.

Got to decide if my old faithful S150 stays or go's on to pastures new....😔

Ark

Mar 8, 2023
Newcastle Upon Tyne
yea the stock saddle ain't the best, I swapped mine out for the Ergon E-MTB saddle which is amazing even to sit on for 4 hours of riding :D really expensive though.
The default saddle that came with the bike started to hurt after about 30-45mins.

I didn't invis my frame and don't feel bad for not doing it... I already scuffed the paint on my top bar from a slow speed fall though.

Offroad bike ain't stayed pristine forever, your gonna get scratches on your cranks and pedals etc anyway

The Hodge

Mystic Meg
Subscriber
Sep 9, 2020
North West Northumberland
I swapped mine out for the Ergon E-MTB saddle which is amazing even to sit on for 4 hours of riding :D really expensive though.
I'm probably going to push the button on this saddle as I've bent the rails on my SDG Bel Air ..(not I hasten to add through any significant weight gain ..but rather an arguement with a tree which it won..the tree that is ..) ..this has been my preferred perch since 2006 ..( I've had three...)
When you say expensive ..I can get one online for £ 75.00 which I think is fairly reasonable ..but I have seen them on some online sites for almost double that price ..

JonnyManc

Apr 18, 2023
Cumbria
I'm probably going to push the button on this saddle as I've bent the rails on my SDG Bel Air ..(not I hasten to add through any significant weight gain ..but rather an arguement with a tree which it won..the tree that is ..) ..this has been my preferred perch since 2006 ..( I've had three...)
When you say expensive ..I can get one online for £ 75.00 which I think is fairly reasonable ..but I have seen them on some online sites for almost double that price ..
Its the one I've gone for too....

Ark

Mar 8, 2023
Newcastle Upon Tyne
I have E-Mountain Core Prime Men which I doubt you can find for under 130

I'm guessing the cheaper saddles they do are just as comfortable though

Oct 26, 2020
Wiltshire

Redge
Yeah I get the same rattle from mine too.
I'm guessing something to do with Bosch motor rather than drive train?

Redge1992

Jun 7, 2023
Monmouthshire
Yeah I get the same rattle from mine too.
I'm guessing something to do with Bosch motor rather than drive train?
Sounds like its a bit hit and miss whether people get this rattle or not. Does it bother you? I'm trying to work out whether it bothers me or the fact I can zoom up hills outweighs it haha

Oct 26, 2020
Wiltshire
Bought my E150RS in 2020 and it rattled from day one. Doesn't particularly bother me as its only occasional and I worked out that trying to solve it probably wasn't worth the hassle.

militantmandy

Jan 18, 2022
Tweed Valley, Scotland
My e160 also rattles a bit. It's not bothering as it doesn't sound bad so I'm assuming it's just the motor. Cannot overstate how much I am loving this bike. I am already close to or faster than I am on my Privateer.

Whitby Chris

Subscriber
Jul 13, 2021
Whitby
As a x whyte owner, enjoy the bike and ignore the sound the motor makes :) it is noticeable at first but you soon start to ignore it :), they are great bikes :)

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles