New wheels, how about these?

nickd164

Jan 7, 2020
sheffield
Hi,

I'm looking for a new wheel set to replace my Roval Traverse. I have a £500 ish budget and wonder if anyone has bought these yet?

2.6Kg though, not that my bike is exactly light but they do seem quite heavy, look tough though. Any thoughts?

Cheers
Nick

apac

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Aug 14, 2019
S.Wales
Hi,

I'm looking for a new wheel set to replace my Roval Traverse. I have a £500 ish budget and wonder if anyone has bought these yet?

2.6Kg though, not that my bike is exactly light but they do seem quite heavy, look tough though. Any thoughts?

Cheers
Nick
They are heavy.. why do You need such wide internal width?

nickd164

Jan 7, 2020
sheffield
Not sure I do.... I had an online chat and they were recommended. I thought the Trail Wide V2 would be ok, but I was told not strong enough for eMTB.

Aug 7, 2020
West Midland, UK
Have a look at the Spank 359’s, I’ve had them on my Rail for a while and they have been solid. Cost around £500 on wiggle at the time, not sure if there still the same price but was a bargain. Before the Rail I had a Levo with Rovals and I buckled the back within 2 weeks. Changed them to the DT EX511 with hope 4’s. They worked really well and I never had a problem with them either. Spanks was cheaper though and I do prefer them now as they just seem better quality.

Astom22

Jan 11, 2020
Celina, TX
Not sure I do.... I had an online chat and they were recommended. I thought the Trail Wide V2 would be ok, but I was told not strong enough for eMTB.
Well, you sold me on them. I was looking at having some built by Pro Wheel Builder, but wouldn't have had any for a month or more, so I ordered these.

Not worried about weight as much as durability. The stock e13 rims that came on my YT Decoy are cracking at the nipple holes, so I needed something new. Still riding the old rims for now, but I'm in the mountains and don't have any other choice. Can't wait for these rims to meet me at home.

I will say, I'm super impressed by their customer service so far. We had a mix up on the rear hub and they told me I needed Shimano/Sram HG and I figured out I needed microspline. They are sending me the microspline for my rear hub free of charge.

nickd164

Jan 7, 2020
sheffield
Well, you sold me on them. I was looking at having some built by Pro Wheel Builder, but wouldn't have had any for a month or more, so I ordered these.

Not worried about weight as much as durability. The stock e13 rims that came on my YT Decoy are cracking at the nipple holes, so I needed something new. Still riding the old rims for now, but I'm in the mountains and don't have any other choice. Can't wait for these rims to meet me at home.

I will say, I'm super impressed by their customer service so far. We had a mix up on the rear hub and they told me I needed Shimano/Sram HG and I figured out I needed microspline. They are sending me the microspline for my rear hub free of charge.
Do you mean you bought some of the Hunt wheels?

nickd164

Jan 7, 2020
sheffield
Have a look at the Spank 359’s, I’ve had them on my Rail for a while and they have been solid. Cost around £500 on wiggle at the time, not sure if there still the same price but was a bargain. Before the Rail I had a Levo with Rovals and I buckled the back within 2 weeks. Changed them to the DT EX511 with hope 4’s. They worked really well and I never had a problem with them either. Spanks was cheaper though and I do prefer them now as they just seem better quality.
Thanks , I will be having a look over these and availability

Astom22

Jan 11, 2020
Celina, TX
Do you mean you bought some of the Hunt wheels?
Yes, the original wheels you posted about.

They are the only ones I can get soon enough to ride more of the summer before work resumes, so why not. Plus, while a little heavy, their weight will be the least of my problems.

I was going to go with the 395+ Spanks that are on my other acoustic bike, they have been bomb proof, but would not have had them until August or later.

Last edited:

Astom22

Jan 11, 2020
Celina, TX
Hi,

Cheers
Nick
I must say Hunts customer service is top notch. We had some issues with one Rep telling me I didn't need a microspline hub, then I found I did for sure, they upgraded me free of charge.

The wheels are very nice, don't seem any heavier than the e13's I took off, yet the quality feel is much better. The rear hub locks up very fast and isn't overly buzzy, actually quieter than the originals.

Didn't have a scale to weight compare, but there wasn't a noticeable difference in weight to me.

Favorite feature, may or may not matter, is the cooling fins behind the disc to keep disc heat from ever reaching the hub body. It's unique and seems like it should work to my untrained non-engineer eye. It's hard to explain, but when you see it, it makes sense and wonder why it isn't on other hubs.

lumpy

🚁 CHOPPER 🚁
Nov 26, 2018
SF Bay Area
I just received my set of hunt E-Enduro wides and they're beautiful. Seem very well made, I like the wider internal width and don't care about their weight

Astom22

Jan 11, 2020
Celina, TX
I just received my set of hunt E-Enduro wides and they're beautiful. Seem very well made, I like the wider internal width and don't care about their weight
I was shocked to see they weren't much wider internally than my e13 stock rims, but the fit and finish and feel are entirely different.

The weight of my wheels or my bike for that matter is the least of my issues until I shed another 30lbs or so, but I'll still be the heaviest part of my set up.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles