New vs old

Kernow

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall uk
Has anyone upgraded from the older model meta power to the new one .or perhaps chosen the trail
love to hear some honest comparisons.
i felt my old meta power 27.5 was a good all rounder , now they seem to have divided the choice between a more downhill heavier power and a trail that is almost the same as the old power .
looking at the amazing prices on the outgoing power 29er and the new trail where there seems to be little difference in the geo .
thinking the new power may just feel heavier and less lively on trail type riding which I mostly do

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
The newer internal battery meta power 29s feel quite a bit heavier than your previous version when ridden. and they weren't exactly light.
I've ridden a couple and really didn't enjoy them as much as my far lighter, smaller Vitus.
I'd try and get a ride of one to judge for yourself.

FWIW If riding a 29er I do actually prefer a longer bike than my vitus (roughly one size larger) and with the heavier Meta this just amplifies the loss in maneuverability/nimbleness/playfulness.

Kernow

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall uk
That’s the problem no chance of trying any of them unless I go to Andorra .
That older model is tempting but I want to update on motor as well really having done a few more hours of research I think Iam heading towards a new bosch gen 4 bike probably trek rail which is actually cheaper than commencal and with local dealer backup
commencal just sent out an email with a long tough luck story of how everything is in short supply and costing so much more hence their higher prices etc
it’s the same for all so they are shooting them-self in the foot with that I think

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Yes the new Commencal's are too expensive for me - I am a big fan of the brand and like the bikes, but they are still fairly rough and ready bikes to be paying big money for in terms of the little touches and quality of detail you would expect to find.

I would check out the Whyte's too, only issue with them is that they battery whilst technically removable is a far to do so, so really need to be charged up where you keep the bike.

Kernow

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall uk
Yes the new Commencal's are too expensive for me - I am a big fan of the brand and like the bikes, but they are still fairly rough and ready bikes to be paying big money for in terms of the little touches and quality of detail you would expect to find.

I would check out the Whyte's too, only issue with them is that they battery whilst technically removable is a far to do so, so really need to be charged up where you keep the bike.
Well It’s come down to the whyte or trek , I had a whyte 129 which I loved but the trek just pips it on a few points and features and looks for me
so trek rail 9 here we come hopefully .

skeet103

May 24, 2020
usa
Any other opinions? I've ridden the 2020 in a medium and loved it (I'm only 5'6") so I fall right in between a small and a medium. Most of you probably havent ridden a small frame but they are just that SMALL clearance can be an issue with bottom bracket, especially in rocky New England. I kinda love the 2020 medium but when looking at the 2021 I've heard to size down and that its a little unbalanced and a bit of a pig. Anyone out ripping on a 2021 yet have an opinion that has ridden the 2021. I guess I am leaning towards a Levo as I do know of 1 available but I just feel its a little overpriced for the components, maybe as @Kernow said I'll give the trek another look...

Thanks for any other info for someone just drooling over bikes and needing to order one before its too late!

Kernow

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall uk
Any other opinions? I've ridden the 2020 in a medium and loved it (I'm only 5'6") so I fall right in between a small and a medium. Most of you probably havent ridden a small frame but they are just that SMALL clearance can be an issue with bottom bracket, especially in rocky New England. I kinda love the 2020 medium but when looking at the 2021 I've heard to size down and that its a little unbalanced and a bit of a pig. Anyone out ripping on a 2021 yet have an opinion that has ridden the 2021. I guess I am leaning towards a Levo as I do know of 1 available but I just feel its a little overpriced for the components, maybe as @Kernow said I'll give the trek another look...

Thanks for any other info for someone just drooling over bikes and needing to order one before its too late!
I usually head for the larger if in doubt , but at 5’8 Iam always medium , however my wife is same height but much longer leg than me is happy on a large One thing I would say , many bike shops will push you into the size they have in stock , so its good if they have both sizes you may require . went to a bike shop last week who would happily have sold my wife a small with her kneees touching the bars as she turned round on the test , they just wanted the sale .

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles