New Vitus e-Sommet VR from Wiggle

Trickster

Apr 10, 2020
South England
Just come back from my first e-ride with mixed impressions. I have to do 3 miles of flat road to get to the Downs for MTB and the speed restriction is limiting compared to my normally aspirated bike. I found gear usage is critical to riding these bikes and getting the most out of them. The Torque power difference between trail and boost seems a bit too brutal and I might try and smooth this out (any suggestions welcome) - also the torque drag when pedalling faster than the engine feels a bit annoying - not sure there is anything I can do about this.

On the plus side I rode for 23 miles and sessioned my jump runs four times (they are quite long runs) and effortlessly climbed our ‘Cardiac’ hill... Shock tuning is work in progress - front is poppier than the rear on table tops and getting used to the weight will take a bit more practice.

The construction from Wiggle was pretty awful - loose bolts, odd handlebar configurations, seat not straight etc, etc. However all sorted and it goes very quickly on the more technical stuff - love using the trail mode on downhill runs to accelerate round corners etc.

So a great addition to the bike garage but will take the bio bike in preference for a while I think....

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
a whole 17 off road miles eh?

You might want to ride it a bit more before coming to those conclusions.

eg.
The Torque power difference between trail and boost seems a bit too brutal and I might try and smooth this out (any suggestions welcome)
The max torque is exactly the same in Boost or trail. at 70nm
if you want them to be closer in feel, set Boost to low, Trail to High in the App.

torque drag when pedalling faster than the engine feels a bit annoying - not sure there is anything I can do about this.
There isn't any noticable drag pedalling past the assist limit or pedalling at a low enough cadence that the freehub isn't turning the rear wheel.
what you are actually feeling is the drag from stupidly soft compound tyres and the downsides of the extra weight.
fit faster rolling tyres and your ride will be far less draggy, Acceleration will still be worse than your NORMAL bike due to it's far lighter weight.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles