Kenevo SL new/used vs wait for new M23 ?

Dave_B

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Aug 29, 2020
Newquay
My Levo is too much for my local rides, I've been thinking of getting a normal pedal bike, but also considering a Kenevo SL on the basis I would probably ride it more than a normal pedal bike (stumpy Evo would be my choice).

Main aim being to improve fitness and no, I don't just want to turn down the full fat as I think it just becomes a head bike in that guise.

So, do I buy a current version, either new/used/frame only, or is the MY23 going to be another game changer?

there are many available on the used market, all over priced considering the discounts on new from spesh.

I've had a gen1 Levo SL, so I know what the motor is like.

What is the Kenevo SL like at a Mullet? does the BB become too low?

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
I'm a lazy fat fecker and I'd take the discounted new bike unless there is a significant, beneficial, geometry change. There's no doubt the new motor is better, but just what value do you put on that?
What is the Kenevo SL like as a Mullet?
Like Tony the Tiger I think it's Grrrrreat, but I'm also a short arse and was flossing my crack more often than was comfortable on the demo day I did. Others have tried it and gone back to 29.
does the BB become too low?
Depends, do you pedal blindly through everything or read the trail? ;)

Tooks

Subscriber
Mar 29, 2020
Lincs UK
If a Levo is too much (what does that mean to you by the way?), then wouldn’t even the Kenevo SL be more of the same?

The Kenevo SL Comp is, what, around 44lbs? Not a lightweight bike by any means, my Levo Alloy (albeit with my own kit on it and the 500Wh battery) is only just over 50lbs.

What was the reason behind selling the Levo SL you had? Has that reasoning gone now?

Why don’t you just get yourself a decent standard mtb for your local riding, and keep the Levo for wherever you enjoy using it now?

I’d be tempted to wait for all the planned ‘SL’ models from various manufacturers to come out later this year or next, and have another look.

My Levo is my Lake District/Peaks bike, although it’s still fun to hack around the local bridleways or forest, but I also have an old 9 speed non e hardtail that feels like a Lotus 7 in comparison, as well as the Focus Jam2 which is lighter than the Levo and a bit more playful setup as a mullet.

They’re all bikes, and they’re all fun to ride. I’ve seen the Kenevo SL offers, test rode one earlier this year before buying the Levo, perhaps I’m a crap rider (every possibility!) but I didn’t feel the lower weight brought much to the party once actually riding.

irie

Subscriber
May 2, 2022
Chichester, W.Sussex, UK
... I’m a crap rider (every possibility!) but I didn’t feel the lower weight brought much to the party once actually riding.

I'm also a crap rider (grandfather). Once riding my FF Rail (alloy) I only notice the extra weight on slow tech stuff but the big FF benefit is that I can get up steep stuff quickly so have more frequent fun going down. Cross country and trail FF rules, you can get through anything. Have only one bike, for me less is more.

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
I'm also crap, but I definitely notice the weight difference between my Rail and my KSL.

Dave_B

Subscriber
Aug 29, 2020
Newquay
By too much, I suppose I mean I get no cardio and hence fitness is suffering badly.

I think a normal pedal bike is still an option but I would ride an SL more often.

Big days out in Wales with other full fats then the Levo would come with me. Local rides with very fit riders on notmal bikes, I’d use an SL and get some good exercise from the ride.

Sold the Levo SL cause it was no longer needed and gave the money to my Son. It was also too short for me, but fun enough to ride when I did ride it, but if buying an SL for myself, then a longer bike is needed.

I’m not looking at other manufacturers, I have two Spesh shops that are local should I need any support.

Tooks

Subscriber
Mar 29, 2020
Lincs UK
By too much, I suppose I mean I get no cardio and hence fitness is suffering badly.

I think a normal pedal bike is still an option but I would ride an SL more often.

Big days out in Wales with other full fats then the Levo would come with me. Local rides with very fit riders on notmal bikes, I’d use an SL and get some good exercise from the ride.

Sold the Levo SL cause it was no longer needed and gave the money to my Son. It was also too short for me, but fun enough to ride when I did ride it, but if buying an SL for myself, then a longer bike is needed.

I’m not looking at other manufacturers, I have two Spesh shops that are local should I need any support.

Unless you’re firmly in ‘justify a new bike’ mode (and I don’t think anybody should have a problem with that by the way! 😂) then why don’t you at least give the dialing down the Levo support approach a try?

I have my Focus set up with just enough support in Eco to cover the extra weight of the bike, trail is dialed back as well and boost I leave at max for getting up the silly steep hills or if I run out of steam.

I definitely get more of a workout on the Focus set up the way it is over the Levo on its stock settings, but could dial back the latter to be more of a workout if I wanted it. The Focus is about the same weight as a Kenevo SL. Would you need the range extender on a Kenevo SL?

Once your fitness is back, buy a standard bike to shred with your fit ride buddies? I just don’t think that even the Specialized SLs are all that light, even for e-mtbs.

Shjay

Apr 30, 2019
Kent
Is the majority of riding on your own or with mates? If with fit mates then the SL. I have a Rise for riding with fit mates & ff then recently bought mega frame in sales which I predominantly ride on my own as not fit enough to do long 30lm rides with mates on their analogue bikes

Tooks

Subscriber
Mar 29, 2020
Lincs UK
The SL’s are noticeably lighter than full fats.

They are lighter comparing specialized with specialized, of course.

For the thousands you need to spend if you’ve got one versus the other though, is it a massive benefit?

A decent pair of lighter wheels and tyres are the first thing I changed on my Levo, lowers rotational mass and unsprung weight and that makes more difference to how the bike rides versus a modestly lighter frame/motor/battery and other kit, other improvements will come from the rider.

What I’m saying is, even an SL isn’t that light compared to a decent mid-range non e-mtb.

If I read your original post correctly, you’re finding your Levo too powerful and your fitness is suffering, and a slightly lighter lower powered e-bike would mean you could keep up with non e-mtb super fit buddies without suffering too much and helping your fitness?

Turn the Levo power down, doing longer rides, or buying a non e-mtb and getting out there and ride it would do that as well I think. There are other ways to do cardio as well, if that’s your thing.

irie

Subscriber
May 2, 2022
Chichester, W.Sussex, UK
They are lighter comparing specialized with specialized, of course.

For the thousands you need to spend if you’ve got one versus the other though, is it a massive benefit?

A decent pair of lighter wheels and tyres are the first thing I changed on my Levo, lowers rotational mass and unsprung weight and that makes more difference to how the bike rides versus a modestly lighter frame/motor/battery and other kit, other improvements will come from the rider.

Agree, the first thing I did was fit lighter wheels and tyres. Unfortunately rip tyres too often on South Downs flint so now have Assegai DD's (heavy!) front and rear :(
What I’m saying is, even an SL isn’t that light compared to a decent mid-range non e-mtb.

If I read your original post correctly, you’re finding your Levo too powerful and your fitness is suffering, and a slightly lighter lower powered e-bike would mean you could keep up with non e-mtb super fit buddies without suffering too much and helping your fitness?

Turn the Levo power down, doing longer rides, or buying a non e-mtb and getting out there and ride it would do that as well I think. There are other ways to do cardio as well, if that’s your thing.

This ^^^

If it gets too easy just turn the assistance down.

Dave_B

Subscriber
Aug 29, 2020
Newquay
I have thought about lighter tyres, I run Schwalbe Magic Mary and Big Betty but am actually thinking of putting the Butcher and eliminator on, I think they are significantly lighter tyres. I already have light rims (Carbon).

Not sure what eco settings would be recommended to ‘just’ overcome the weight of the bike?

Shjay

Apr 30, 2019
Kent
I have thought about lighter tyres, I run Schwalbe Magic Mary and Big Betty but am actually thinking of putting the Butcher and eliminator on, I think they are significantly lighter tyres. I already have light rims (Carbon).

Not sure what eco settings would be recommended to ‘just’ overcome the weight of the bike?
I run the new Conti in trail format on my Rise have insert in rear they are good tyres not too heavy compared to Schwalbe, they replaced a Mary & Betty

Apr 11, 2023
US
My Levo is too much for my local rides, I've been thinking of getting a normal pedal bike, but also considering a Kenevo SL on the basis I would probably ride it more than a normal pedal bike (stumpy Evo would be my choice).

Main aim being to improve fitness and no, I don't just want to turn down the full fat as I think it just becomes a head bike in that guise.

So, do I buy a current version, either new/used/frame only, or is the MY23 going to be another game changer?

there are many available on the used market, all over priced considering the discounts on new from spesh.

I've had a gen1 Levo SL, so I know what the motor is like.

What is the Kenevo SL like at a Mullet? does the BB become too low?
So a quick observation. I am one ride into mullet (KSL) and it was really noticeable on turns and jumps. the bike really comes alive. it is a very lively bike on 29's but mullet it really responds and no buzz behind. i have yet to take it on steep/tech turns but on mellow switchbacks it is really responsive, much more than 29s, it could be because i am on 5'5" and 150lb on a S2. some have said that shorter/smaller people will bennifit and i agree. we have tech/steep stuff here in northern california (Santa Cruz area) and 29 was manageable but i felt unconfortable on steep/tech turns. this could be because i came from 27.5 and about 2 months ago, i got a great deal this KSL, going from 27.5 (ibis mojo hd) to 29 is a big deal or was for me. but 29 is a great for rolling over so much control, just eats up the chunk. as for BB i swapped 160 and raised to high. I did the change one by one just to see the difference and the 160 really made a big difference its a reassurance no pedal strikes even in the low position, cadence a tad higher but that might be in my head. bike is now mullet with 160 and higher position. i would recommend trying mullet, if you could find a deal like i did you cant go wrong. i found a new roval for $125 and put a maxxis DHR2 2.4 so not too much spent if i didnt like mullet... i guess it comes down to what you ride and how you ride, but i would suggest trying it to see if you like it and if will give you the same results as i found... here is pic with 29s.

mailbox jump.png

unclezz

May 3, 2020
CZ
I was in doubt about more or less the same.
But current prices for “old” Levo SL are a big temptation. I am going for a frameset.

My thinking: having a real low power motor with a lighter bike than a full fat will give no excuse not to exercise more. At the same time it will give that boost to ride a tiny bit more even when you have less time to spend riding.

Let alone it will open the option (like in my case) to ride more with very fit and younger colleagues on analog bikes. Something I am struggling to do so far because the gap is too large between them and me.

Honestly I also love to have a little bit older geometry 😬

Dave_B

Subscriber
Aug 29, 2020
Newquay
Eco most of the time. although I had turned it up a notch.
I am going to try 25/100 on the eco settings. I read a review that this gives a very good trade off and feels really natural.

Ribinrobin

Subscriber
Apr 16, 2021
Berkshire, UK
Eco most of the time. although I had turned it up a notch.
I am going to try 25/100 on the eco settings. I read a review that this gives a very good trade off and feels really natural.
I've played around with my FF levo so much trying to get it feel how i want. I still have it but got a levo sl2 now and spend most my time on that, even my enduro is collecting dust as its such a fun bike to ride.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles