New to both Emtbs and the forum - Hi.

Twonks

Apr 16, 2022
Midlands
Hi all.

Some may know the user name from a few other forums and SingletrackWord in particular but thought I'd introduce myself here properly as a newb both to the forum and emtb's.

After 30+ years of riding non electric bikes (sorry, I refuse to call them analogue 😂 ), at the age of 50 and with some disposable income I thought I'd finally see what all the fuss is about.

My main riding is all mountain biking, mainly trail centres (Cannock is the closest) and the peaks / North Wales once or twice a year.

During the last 10 years or so I have slowed down, got erm.. fatter and generally become a bit rubbish at any distance or time over a couple of hours on a bike. In a breath my good wife said 'Why don't you get an ebike?', so that was it - touch paper lit.

Today I've just come back from my second proper ride on a 2022 Giant Trance XE Pro 0 (think it is, the orange one). Have to say the thing is amazing. Not got past mode 3 yet and am genuinely astonished just how effective the motor and more so the controller is with the ever changing demand a rider puts on it.

The one thing I wasn't expecting is when the assistance mode increases, the riding (on trail centres anyway) actually gets harder. I found myself pushing harder to keep the increased speed and flow up, then the mental aptitude needed to avoid crashing jumps up substantially in comparison with a normal bike.

Overall of course it is easier or else I wouldn't have just been out for 3 hours and 3500ft of climbing but, if anybody says they are 'cheating', now I'd have to question what they mean by cheating!

I'm keeping my other bikes as I love riding them still, although already I am looking for my next ebike ride.

Thant's my initial rambling and hopefully I'll become useful in some way shape or form :)

Cheers.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles