New Tires?

Lowrance

Sep 23, 2020
So Cal
Having issues with the Michelin E -wilds and am trying to source some new tread. About the only thing I can find is Schwalbe Eddy Currents. Anyone have any feedback on these tires?

I live in So Cal and most trails I ride are loose over hard with plenty of sharp rocks.

Thanks in advance.

Cheers

Lowrance

Sep 23, 2020
So Cal
I bought the Eddy Currents...no other options really. The only draw back appears to be weight due to 5 layer construction. Would rather deal with a little extra weight than punctures.

Will provide opinion once I've had a chance to do a couple of rips on them.

Cheers

Lowrance

Sep 23, 2020
So Cal
I am tubless on the E-Wilds. Have lots of sealant seeping through sidewall of the front tire and a strange noise from the rear like a rock stuck between knobs. Could be a spoke I guess but doesn't appear to be drive train related. Doesn't inspire a lot of confidence while pushing. Tires seem to be performing okay but split beads of others and issues I've seen always in back of mind.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
I see. There is nothing worse than having no confidence in your tyres, especially the front one! You have to buy some different ones! :)

I have never ridden an Eddy Current, so I cannot give any experienced-based advice. But I have only read good stuff about the ECs. However, based upon my own experience I suspect that the exact spec is very important.

Last edited:

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
I loved the Eddie Current i had it on front and got a couple of years out of it. Still hanging in shed so it will be used again. Never got another as the last time I looked they were £70.

Singletrackmind

Sep 17, 2020
San Diego, CA
Having issues with the Michelin E -wilds and am trying to source some new tread. About the only thing I can find is Schwalbe Eddy Currents. Anyone have any feedback on these tires?

I live in So Cal and most trails I ride are loose over hard with plenty of sharp rocks.

Thanks in advance.

Cheers
Ridden both sets of tires and still have them on my emtbs. E-wilds are much more suited for the dh aspect and Eddy Currents are an all-round beast and me, have them on my All-Mountain emtb (Orbea Wild). Rock the Wilds on my YT Decoy and toggle back with Swalbe Magic Mary/Big Betty set-up. The EC's are not the best when it comes to rolling resistance, but they last for ever and never had a flat with them. Guess it depends on what type of riding you do most. The EC's will definitely eat up your battery life, so you may want to factor that in.

Downhillr

Jul 2, 2021
SF Bay, California

Thanks in advance.

Cheers
Plenty of choices with Maxxis brand, most shops (including Worldwide in SoCal) carry ‘em.
As SoCal riders those guys at WW can offer advice too.

Bac

Sep 13, 2021
New Zealand
Go with Conti Krypotal DH or Michelin DH 22/34. I was destroying all the other brands , models in no time, until running either of these options. Prefer the Contis as taller profile and the extra strength

Lowrance

Sep 23, 2020
So Cal
Thanks for the reply. WWC did not have any 29x2.6 in EXO+ or DD, just EXO. No rears in 27.5x2.8 (or 2.6) in DD.

Slim pickings out there right now!

Bac

Sep 13, 2021
New Zealand
Thanks for the reply. WWC did not have any 29x2.6 in EXO+ or DD, just EXO. No rears in 27.5x2.8 (or 2.6) in DD.

Slim pickings out there right now!
Suggest going 2.4 front and back and downhill casing if you want to put the issue to bed for good. From my bad experience, I tried the 2.5's, 2.6's, 2.8's, and in all the casing variants in search of a tyre that would last with not much luck. I was ripping side walls off the bead, casings would leak like a sieve, etc and could only get just 200-250kms before they were stuffed. Tried all the Maxxis variants including their DH casings and Vittoria on recommendation and the same issue. I got recommended Michelin DH22/34 and Pirelli (I wasn't a fan of the Pirelli tread design - so didn't try those), the Michy's were great, was getting 800-850km/set and up to around 500km's I only needed to inflate once or twice prior to a ride. My bro ended up going the Conti way, and had a great run, now I've switched to Conti and they've been excellent so far, I prefer the higher profile of the Conti compared to the Michy's. Trust this is of use

Downhillr

Jul 2, 2021
SF Bay, California
Does anyone have any experience on the newer tires by Continental?
The Xynotol, the Argotal or the Kryptotal?
They sure look like the type of tire I prefer.
I’m running the new Kryptotal 27.5” x 2.6 rear (Enduro, Soft) tire on my Bullit to replace the stock Maxxis DHR II 2.4. I like the Maxxis but wanted a little more tire on the ground and they don't offer a 27.5” x 2.5, that being said the Conti has worked out well with a very similar tread to DHRII with good, predictable performance.

Shjay

Apr 30, 2019
Kent
I like the Conti tyres have moved from Schwalbe. Been running the trails Kryptotal on the Rise & the Mega, just ordered a Kryptotal Enduro for the front with trail on rear with an insert

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles