New owner of a 22 Orbrea Rise H15. Have a few questions.

Apr 4, 2023
United States
I've seen the 2022 Orbea Rise ebikes have the EP800 and the 2023 have the new and improved EP801. Is there any real difference? Is the 2022 compatible with the EP801?

I ordered the bike and the dealer told me the bike should come with four pot brakes. I thought these came stock with only two pot?

Is there anything that needs to be upgraded right off the bat? I've read it's recommended to upgrade the front rotor and rear rotor to 203mm and have the dealer unlock EP8. Anything else?

How waterproof are these bikes? I come from a Giant where just rain has been known to kill the controllers. Are these any better? Curious what I need to do to carry on the back of the truck in a rainstorm. My giant I wrapped in plastic bags to be safe.
RISEH15_900x.jpg

mike_kelly

Subscriber
Aug 11, 2022
US
Whether you need 203mm rotors depends on your weight. If you decide to change the rotors the rear rotor needs to be one that includes a magnet for the cadence sensor. With supply chain problems in 2022 Orbea, like everybody, had to substitute parts for what ever they could get to deliver bikes. The Ep800 and EP801 have the same mount.
I wash my bike with a hose but it has never been soaked for hours.

Apr 4, 2023
United States
Whether you need 203mm rotors depends on your weight. If you decide to change the rotors the rear rotor needs to be one that includes a magnet for the cadence sensor. With supply chain problems in 2022 Orbea, like everybody, had to substitute parts for what ever they could get to deliver bikes. The Ep800 and EP801 have the same mount.
I wash my bike with a hose but it has never been soaked for hours.
Dang Mike you're awesome! Lots of good info! I'm a big boi so bigger brakes will be great. Main reason I wanted the fox 36 over 34.

mike_kelly

Subscriber
Aug 11, 2022
US
I used the Jagwire rear rotor with magnet that worked fine. Also I would recommend, since you mentioned water, to put a bit of simple clear packing tape over the on-off button. Mine gets very dirty given where they put it and that suggestion has paid off for me. I love the bike. I have a 34 on mine but I am a simple trail rider.

cookie70

Mar 23, 2022
Central Coast, Australia
With mine, it came with XT 4 pots on it, I put 203mm rotor on the front before it left the shop. Kept the 180 on the rear as my experience is 203 is unnecessary.
When I finally got the bike, we had literally the worse 6 months of non stop rain here Australia east coast, no issues whatsoever with the bike. I put some 3m tape over the power button was my only "rain" mod (and mudgaurds). I also went up 10mm on the fork with a new airspring.

Depending on your riding, tyres are worth looking at, the recon that came with the bike have 0kms on it :)

Apr 4, 2023
United States
With mine, it came with XT 4 pots on it, I put 203mm rotor on the front before it left the shop. Kept the 180 on the rear as my experience is 203 is unnecessary.
When I finally got the bike, we had literally the worse 6 months of non stop rain here Australia east coast, no issues whatsoever with the bike. I put some 3m tape over the power button was my only "rain" mod (and mudgaurds). I also went up 10mm on the fork with a new airspring.

Depending on your riding, tyres are worth looking at, the recon that came with the bike have 0kms on it :)
Did you order it with 4 pot brakes or was it just a pleasant surprise? I thought the bike comes stock with 2 pot, but the dealer swears it will come with 4 pot... Guess we'll see what it ends up arriving with.

cookie70

Mar 23, 2022
Central Coast, Australia
there were alot of changes from the standard spec that mine had changed, the float shock etc was not standard, brakes etc.. guess they are making do with what they can get!

I love the XT brakes but NOT a fan of the horrible freestroke on the XT brakes. Hence why my other custom built bikes have Hope brakes, but they do the job :D

irie

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
May 2, 2022
Chichester, W.Sussex, UK
there were alot of changes from the standard spec that mine had changed, the float shock etc was not standard, brakes etc.. guess they are making do with what they can get!

I love the XT brakes but NOT a fan of the horrible freestroke on the XT brakes. Hence why my other custom built bikes have Hope brakes, but they do the job :D
I've changed my Shimano m6120 free stroke to exactly what I like by adjusting how far apart the pads are (with the wheel out as described elsewhere on EMTB forums).

irie

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
May 2, 2022
Chichester, W.Sussex, UK
I've tried this with limited success. will look at it again, I'm putting on new rotors as my bike has nearly 4,000k's on it!
Recently put on Swissstop Catalyst Pro 220mm rotors (had Shimano RT76 203mm), quiet stoppers with loads of feel. Previously tried SRAM HS2 220mm rotors but found them really noisy when hot.

BiGJZ74

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Mar 17, 2021
American Canyon, CA
My H15 was stock for about 5 minutes. I'm a huge guy so 223 front, 203 rear rotors, upgraded to xt4-pots from factory which is the only stock part. Upgraded to factory Float X from factory as well, but I also have a DHX2 216x63 which I swap between

BiGJZ74

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Mar 17, 2021
American Canyon, CA
Recently put on Swissstop Catalyst Pro 220mm rotors (had Shimano RT76 203mm), quiet stoppers with loads of feel. Previously tried SRAM HS2 220mm rotors but found them really noisy when hot.
I had HS2's for a bit as well, but swapped to Hope Floating Rotors. HS2's were too noisy, hot or wet

LeeS69

Aug 27, 2022
Yorkshire
New tyres, and put a 203mm rear disc on because it was on offer and I do far more rear brake pads than front on my MTBs....
Just swapped the saddle as the fizik was ripping me a new one and it's a big improvement... Tweaked motor setting in the Shimano app. Other than that no changes, and nothing I'm wanting to do anytime soon. No need for 4 pot brakes so far for me either, not where I ride....

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles