Levo Gen 2 New Motor, different support power mapping?

jsharpe

May 15, 2019
USA
I just had the motor replaced in my 2020 comp because of a sprig clutch failure. The build date of the old motor was last October and the new one is April 23 of this year. The LBS where I purchased the bike did the swap and made sure the motor firmware was updated. It’s smooth and quiet again which is good. However, there seems to be a noticeable difference in the assist mode power for a given setting.

With my original motor, I had tried a bunch of different settings but found I could ride pretty much everything and had plenty of battery in trail mode at 25/100. With the new motor, that same 25/100 seems more like 15/100 or 20/100 did before the swap. E.g. trail mode feels like eco. I’m wondering if maybe there is a different support mode mapping now. I haven’t done enough different rides to find the new support mode setting that most closely matches what I got with the old motor but if I had to guess it’s probably something like 30/100 or 40/100.

I did go back and reread the thread about lower power after a motor update but don’t think that’s relevant to my case. I do seem to have the latest firmware but more importantly, the peak power of the bike is the same as it was before. I.e. according to the Mission Control app it can pull the full 20A rather than hitting the 15A limit of the Brose/non-Specialized firmware, and showed a max motor power of 774w in Blevo.

So the bottom line is that while peak power is the same between the old and new motors, the available support power of the new motor seems lower than the old motor at the same setting. Has anyone else who has received one of the newest version motors experienced something similar?

wepn

The Barking Owl ?
Jul 18, 2019
AU
With my original motor, I had tried a bunch of different settings but found I could ride pretty much everything and had plenty of battery in trail mode at 25/100. With the new motor, that same 25/100 seems more like 15/100 or 20/100 did before the swap. E.g. trail mode feels like eco. I’m wondering if maybe there is a different support mode mapping now. I haven’t done enough different rides to find the new support mode setting that most closely matches what I got with the old motor but if I had to guess it’s probably something like 30/100 or 40/100.
Are you able to adjust & match the levels of your old motor using BLEvo?

Screen Shot 2020-07-14 at 12.09.16 pm.png

57.5 km/h :) not mine it's from the manual

jsharpe

May 15, 2019
USA
Are you able to adjust & match the levels of your old motor using BLEvo?

View attachment 35863
57.5 km/h :) not mine it's from the manual
Yes, and I was able to set each of the values for support/peak in both mission control and BLEvo. I even tried temporarily setting them to a different value and then setting them back to see if the value stored in the bike might be somehow unexpectedly different.

Screenshot_20200714-053255.png

IMG_8203.PNG

jsharpe

May 15, 2019
USA
I don’t think it’s newer version , rather I think it’s just a new motor. Mine is significantly better after much use.
According to other threads motors manufactured after Jan this year have a different belt with more reinforcing threads. I'm guessing that might help for belt failures, but apparently the sprag clutch is still the same.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles