New Meta SX Bosch UK VAT & Import Duty

Cycledesign89

Jun 26, 2023
London
Hi first post here. I did some searching and saw there was a similar topic but nearly 2 years old so I thought i'd ask.

Apologies for a such a boring topic but it's hard to find answers out there.

I'm considering buying the new commencal meta power SX Bosch. They're not quite out yet but commy are taking pre-orders (in EU) and there's no sign of them yet on the UK commencal store. Under normal circumstances, the UK commencal store is the place to buy them as it negates all the Brexit B*****cks.

However, I'm due a riding holiday this year and I hear Andorra is nice ;-)

If I was to just buy it in store and get their 10% discount. Pay the full price including local VAT in euros how likely am I to get checked driving back through the chunnel or on a ferry?

The second option is do it legit but still collect in store for that sweet 10% discount. Do I then have to pay full list price including tax (-10% discount from commencal). Then pay 20% UK VAT if I declare it at the ferry, then pay (i think) 6% import duty. Is this paid on a percentage of the actual cost you paid for it (so with the discount) or a percentage of the full new list price? Normally if it were a courier, there's also a handling admin/fee but as there isn't in this case, is there nothing else to pay?

Finally, I assume l claim the original VAT back from commencal or the Andorran/French tax office.

I know its sounds like a lot of faff but if i'm going on holiday there anyway. There's the potential to save £££ either way. Its just a question of how many £££ and how much faff is it worth.

Ou812

Jun 26, 2022
Fort William
I’ve bought all but 1 of my bikes in the US from my mate’s shop. I get stuff at cost from him so I’ll line up a new bike purchase with a visit to the US. I’ll do some riding while I’m there visiting family to make it look somewhat used then pack it in my bike bag and head back to the UK. I’ve never been questioned about the bikes from anyone but if anyone asked I’d just say I brought it with me from the UK to ride while on holiday in the US.

Cycledesign89

Jun 26, 2023
London
I’ve bought all but 1 of my bikes in the US from my mate’s shop. I get stuff at cost from him so I’ll line up a new bike purchase with a visit to the US. I’ll do some riding while I’m there visiting family to make it look somewhat used then pack it in my bike bag and head back to the UK. I’ve never been questioned about the bikes from anyone but if anyone asked I’d just say I brought it with me from the UK to ride while on holiday in the US.
Interesting. Sounds like a breeze. Did you take a bike bag out with you with a "dummy bike" in it?

Dax

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 25, 2018
FoD
If I was to just buy it in store and get their 10% discount. Pay the full price including local VAT in euros how likely am I to get checked driving back through the chunnel or on a ferry?

Dusty bike in the back of a dusty car full of sweaty middle aged blokes is basically guaranteed not to have any issues. Brand new bike in a box might.

You’re most likely to get stopped to check you are not bringing back more vino than is permitted after the Glorious People’s Brexit.

tatane

Jun 25, 2023
Southern France
Dusty bike in the back of a dusty car full of sweaty middle aged blokes is basically guaranteed not to have any issues. Brand new bike in a box might.

You’re most likely to get stopped to check you are not bringing back more vino than is permitted after the Glorious People’s Brexit.
This tbh ...

Also, Andorra got way lower taxes then its neighbor countries (both France and Spain), but you might want to get your bike off the box and a bit dirt before going back from there as you will encounter the french or spanish customs first (depending on which way you decide to get back down from Andorra, both also likely mostly interested in how many cigarettes or alcool bottles you're bringing back and drug smugglers then folks getting bikes from a local company). Just a bit of warning that even doing it the legal way might be a bit of a hassle as you'll have to first declare it to either french or spanish customs and then again to UK ones, not sure how it end up working on who you pay these taxes to/get refunds from.

Cycledesign89

Jun 26, 2023
London
Ah balls, i hadn't even considered that there would be any need to declare or sneak through the Andorra/France border. This complicates things.

My loose plan was. Ferry to Saint Marlo, road trip holiday down the west coast of France, bit of surfing maybe, then head to the Pyrenees, pick up the bike, couple of days riding, then drive to Bilbao and ferry home from there. Would be just me and the Mrs.

Picking it up in the showroom won't involve any bike box, I assume its just like picking up a bike in any bike shop. I can go riding and get the bike muddy no problem and it would be wheels off in the back of the car with all our luggage piled on/around it most likely. Would certainly be inconspicuous.

Dax

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 25, 2018
FoD
doing it the legal way might be a bit of a hassle as you'll have to first declare it to either french or spanish customs and then again to UK ones, not sure how it end up working on who you pay these taxes to/get refunds from.

Doing it the legal way is probably much more hassle than throwing a dusty bike in the back of the car and driving home.

Plus it’s a great excuse to ride the bike parks in Andorra, which are firmly on my bucket list

tatane

Jun 25, 2023
Southern France
Ah balls, i hadn't even considered that there would be any need to declare or sneak through the Andorra/France border. This complicates things.

My loose plan was. Ferry to Saint Marlo, road trip holiday down the west coast of France, bit of surfing maybe, then head to the Pyrenees, pick up the bike, couple of days riding, then drive to Bilbao and ferry home from there. Would be just me and the Mrs.

Picking it up in the showroom won't involve any bike box, I assume its just like picking up a bike in any bike shop. I can go riding and get the bike muddy no problem and it would be wheels off in the back of the car with all our luggage piled on/around it most likely. Would certainly be inconspicuous.
Your plan sounds good, also have the advantage that you wouldn't be crossing the same border on your way in and out from Andorra, so they won't be remembering the presence of a bike in your trunk ;)

As said tho, I wouldn't worry too much about it, especially if it isn't in a big box, since they're definitely more looking for cigarettes and alcool that are waaaay cheaper then anywere else in EU, and ppl smuggling drugs from spain to france (so not in the direction you'll be heading ;) )

Ark

Mar 8, 2023
Newcastle Upon Tyne
slap some dog poop on it, guaranteed not to be inspected.
the warranty might be void though by importing? especially if it has some different speed restriction to the UK?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles