New Member from Ketchum, ID with Intense Tracer 2 BBSO2 and Specialized Demo 8 BBSHD, Intense M9 BBSHD in the works.

James Brown

Apr 8, 2021
Sun Valley, ID USA
Hi, I am excited to be able to share info on here. I have done two builds BBS02 Intense Tracer 2 and BBSHD Specialized Demo 8 that are rideable but not finished (ordered Lekkei parts to help with the chainline issues and cranks also that just arrived). I am trying to outfit the whole family am now working on a third an Intense M9 that requires some frame modification to get the BBSHD to fit. Here are pictures of the first two and the BB and frame clearance issues on the 3rd.
I am running backpacks for the batteries and curious if anyone does anything to protect against fire of explosion as I have seen some options for sale on Amazon and wouldn't want a fire or worse on my back?

image_50452737.JPG

image_50745345.JPG

image_50461953.JPG

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
I am running backpacks for the batteries and curious if anyone does anything to protect against fire of explosion as I have seen some options for sale on Amazon and wouldn't want a fire or worse on my back?
I'd imagine your first and most important option is to make sure he backpack has quick release clips, so you can click them and it drops off so you're not fumbling around with an exploding fireworks factory on your back.

Then in the pack a nomex sheath maybe ?

Maybe an armoured panel too ? Some of the bike backpacks have flexible armour built in (evoc/camelbak), they'd probably do a fairly good job of deflecting high speed exploding cells. I wonder if you'd want a spall liner in there too between the batteries and the pack armour.

Or a sheet of aluminium. If you know anyone in IT who works with Compaq server racks, they always come with several aluminium blanking plates of different sizes which end up spare. They'll stop a 357 magnum at 20 meters - they bend - but it doesn't penetrate.

@BAMBAMODA might be a good source of ideas ?

DtEW

Dec 8, 2020
Bay Area, California
If your kit vehicle carries what you apparently feel is a non-insignificant risk of fire/explosions, why are you and your family wearing the potentially incendiary/explosive bits on yourselves and taking the whole shebang onto the trails?

I was telling my real estate agent yesterday about my nervousness in flying my drone over a densely-populated area for the purpose of shooting photos to sell my property. She chimed in with her own story about her neighbor (nearly) losing his $1.2k drone in a tree, and how she was able to save it for him. I added with the perspective that the drone is nothing, even a $30k commercial hexacopter (esp. if insured). It's what it might fall on that is what makes me pucker up.

An off-the-shelf eMTB with un-modified electro-mechanical bits will lay the bulk of liability at the feet of the OEMs, esp. when you are using it in the way they have represented said product is supposed to be good for. And so they will do whatever is in their power to defray such catastrophic risks, including lots of little engineered fail-safes that total to a lot.

Last edited:

James Brown

Apr 8, 2021
Sun Valley, ID USA
Here is what the manufacturer lunacycle.com replied when asked about the safety of of using their batteries in a backpack.

• I bought batteries Wolf and Direwolf and was planning to use backpacks to carry them but am worried about potential failures and having the battery strapped to a body. Is this prudent?
    10:24 AM
  • Nah, you're okay. Those packs are solid potted. Even if something happened, it would be heavily contained within the unit
    But rarely do battery fires ever happen, when they do, it's usually because of something external like water exposure or bad wiring

• it's entirely solid, we poured a very strong resin into the pack until full and allowed it to cure
    everything is completely solid end to end as a single block, no space inside at all and if a fire were to start, it would just burn inside the resin and eventually extinguish itself from the resin collapsing in

Here is a link to the two batteries Battery - 18650 Ebike Battery Pack - Luna Cycle
    Made with top grade LG MJ-1 18650 cells
    • 52v 21ah 14s6p - 84 cells
    And:
    • your choice of top grade Samsung or LG 18650 Cells
    • 52v 12ah or 52v 13.5ah (Depending on Cell Choice)

I am very new to and excited about battery operated motors about learning, and I do not want to take any unnecessary risks. It would be hard to mount such big batteries onto the bike and so unless I buy different batteries I would like to still use backpacks if it can be done safely. Do solid potted battery packs have enough protection built into the resin and lack of oxygen to make it safe enough in others' opinions also?

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
We're all different and there will be swings and roundabouts about weight on the bike and off the bike. However, for your main power source, I can't help but think you'd be a lot more comfortable if you can mount it on the bike. I think @michael.kozera who've you've already spoken with has quite an impressive setup.

Corfy19

Nov 13, 2023
Vancouver Island
Hi, I am excited to be able to share info on here. I have done two builds BBS02 Intense Tracer 2 and BBSHD Specialized Demo 8 that are rideable but not finished (ordered Lekkei parts to help with the chainline issues and cranks also that just arrived). I am trying to outfit the whole family am now working on a third an Intense M9 that requires some frame modification to get the BBSHD to fit. Here are pictures of the first two and the BB and frame clearance issues on the 3rd.

View attachment 58009

View attachment 58010

View attachment 58011
Hey any luck fitting the BBSHD on this frame?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles