MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
OK.. It's not much of a thread ! :)

DenyeR

Apr 11, 2019
Santiago, Chile
I emailed Focus about it directly and ofc they denied a new bike coming out, but I'm pretty sure that it's a new sam2 coming with fazua, the link and rear triangle are completely Focus, unless another brand from PON used the suspension design since they are owned by the same parent company as Santa Cruz, Cervelo, Raleigh, Diamondback, Cannondale and GT.
Anyways, here's a pic so you can decide for yourselves.

sam2 sl.png

This is a 100% a Fold link and a one piece rear triangle as all Focus bikes are.

Here's the response from Focus:

Sent: viernes, 15 de julio de 2022 3:55
Re: [Ticket#2022071410006431] Fallback - formulario de contacto

Hi Pietro,

thanks for your message and your interest in our upcoming model range!

Not sure what you mean as there are no plans to release a new Sam², you must have mistaken it for a another bike in that video.

Generally new product families and significant model changes will be released and properly launched throughout the year. It's really exciting and we are sorry that we can't go into more detail as before the launch all information is under embargo.

Were you satisfied with our service (please select)?
🙂
😞

All the best,
Verena.

Peaky Rider

E*POWAH Master
Feb 9, 2019
Derbyshire Dales
Hi everyone, I have heard from a reliable source of a new light e-bike, coming soon, from Focus, does anyone have any news?

They built one four/five years ago (didn't they Steve). The carbon Jam 2, Shimano E8000 with 378 wh battery coming in at around 20kg. You could easily have knocked another kg off this with a few inferior components. I still have the alloy version (although it's in bits yet again) which weighs 21.8 kg. They just didn't make a song and dance about the weight at the time as the eroneous term, 'super light' hadn't been coined and low powered bikes weren't fashionable as the marketing departments had yet to 'focus' on them.

The wierd thing is that they then went a bit heavy with the new Jam 2 which, if memory serves, is around 26 kg.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Most EMTB's from circa 2018 were not particularly heavy compared to current ones, simply because the batteries where smaller. If you look at a lot of the forum threads from back then we would definitely have been shocked to see how heavier weights have become the norm!

The OG Focus Jam 2 was a great bike, and in fact if it wasn't from the now dated geometry it would still make a great bike for someone looking for a lighter full fat.

RustyMTB

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jul 22, 2020
UK
A sam2 doesn't really square with a super light design. If you were to go with something out of the existing portfolio, then the Jam is the obvious candidate.

DenyeR

Apr 11, 2019
Santiago, Chile
A sam2 doesn't really square with a super light design. If you were to go with something out of the existing portfolio, then the Jam is the obvious candidate.

Well... the kenevo SL is a long travel light ebike, loved by many. I definitely see a brawler ebike with low battery+motor weight, more playful and enjoyable than a 26 kilo bike while mantaining aggresive geo and 170mm travel.

Zed

Feb 26, 2019
Brisbane, Australia
Current Jam2 6.8 is 24.2
Current Sam2 6.8 is 25.8

The Jam2 would be high up on my list if it still had the Bosch motor.
I'm thinking Sam2 currently.

DenyeR

Apr 11, 2019
Santiago, Chile
Current Jam2 6.8 is 24.2
Current Sam2 6.8 is 25.8

The Jam2 would be high up on my list if it still had the Bosch motor.
I'm thinking Sam2 currently.

Focus still makes the Jam2 6.9 with bosch; and about the weight, 26kg (without cushcore or pedals) is a lot up or down if you ride in the andes where i live and do hike a bikes to get to the really steep and tight mountains, hell even in my local loop there are parts you literally cannot climb on the bike, I have 2019 and the weight is about perfect for picking it up and manouvering it in hard spots, I mainly use the motor in Trail or Eco so yeah, I'd absolutely love a lighter one with less motor power Ala Fazua or TQ hpr50. Current one has a 378 so if they release it with around 450Wh it's a killer bike.
I guess if you live in more plain terrain it's not that bad, but muscling a heavy bike through tight and steep andean switchbacks with antigrip is an awfully tiring experience.
As my dad always says, Different strokes for different folks. Cheers!

Reactions: Zed

Zed

Feb 26, 2019
Brisbane, Australia
Your use case is very different sounds like the SL would be perfect.
Focus still makes the Jam2 6.9 with bosch
Yeah right I was a bit confused about that, weird huh. I'm not any are available around here right now except for low specs though.

The Jam2 with the Bosch still has the inverted vertical shock and even on the highest spec it's a DPS which I'm not interested in. But with how it fits it looks like there'd be challenges getting piggy back shocks in there, and I don't want to be caught out with that. Not particularly interested in the Fox 36 Rhythm either. I can see the Focus Jam2 6.9 2022 listed here at 25.15 kg. It just makes me think at 25.8 listed for the Sam2, is there really any point in the Jam2 (for me)? It's not going to feel particularly more playful I really don't think.

DenyeR

Apr 11, 2019
Santiago, Chile
Your use case is very different sounds like the SL would be perfect.

Yeah right I was a bit confused about that, weird huh. I'm not any are available around here right now except for low specs though.

The Jam2 with the Bosch still has the inverted vertical shock and even on the highest spec it's a DPS which I'm not interested in. But with how it fits it looks like there'd be challenges getting piggy back shocks in there, and I don't want to be caught out with that. Not particularly interested in the Fox 36 Rhythm either. I can see the Focus Jam2 6.9 2022 listed here at 25.15 kg. It just makes me think at 25.8 listed for the Sam2, is there really any point in the Jam2 (for me)? It's not going to feel particularly more playful I really don't think.

The difference between the bikes is not only about the numbers but how the suspension is tuned, the Jam is not a brawler, it's supposed to be comfy and sporty, and I always say they shouldn't have a trail bike that heavy, but they do.
On the other hand the Sam has that job and it does it quite well; it depends on what are you going to ride, if you only do mellow stuff the sam will be overkill and mute all the terrain making it boring, the jam on the other hand with a it's more moderate geo and travels will make you feel a bit more of what is happening beneath you.
About the build, with all due respect, its nonsense unless you ride really really hard, one of my best friends rides for Cube in Chile and has a fucking 34 and a dps on a 140 ebike, he fucks me every time on every trail i choose by minutes on that "Awful equipment". On my side I had the Dps for more than year and a half and couldn't fault it, only changed it bc I got a really good offer on the shop I work in, and i don't race my bike so I really don't need anything "better" as generally the shock fitted with bikes are tuned to that specific frame; Happened to me, i fitted an Ohlins TTX and it felt like complete utter crap, super harsh and even with custom valving it didn't feel good, ended up going back to the original. When you change it to something off the shelf it may be better but won't feel so as it's not tuned for the bike. So as i said, with all due respect, i think you're just nitpicking unless you're an animal.
The 36 Rhythm is not that bad but I concede it's not the best in the world, you can always change the damper for a Grip2 and basically have a performance elite. I did it from a performance with fit4. best upgrade i've done by far.
And about the piggyback shocks on the Jam, the large frame fits almost every coil shock, except maybe a Push 11.6, EXT and Fast, and i have fitted x2's and superdeluxes on mediums, not sure about smalls as we didn't stock them.

Zed

Feb 26, 2019
Brisbane, Australia
About the build, with all due respect, its nonsense unless you ride really really hard, one of my best friends rides for Cube in Chile and has a fucking 34 and a dps on a 140 ebike
On my side I had the Dps for more than year and a half and couldn't fault it
I dunno man, this'll be my fourth ebike and I've upgraded all of them (plus countless analogs), and I know for a fact a Fox 34 is going to be detrimental to how much I enjoy the ride. I suppose because I'm 95+kg those stiffer stanchions matter. Nice groupsets shift better, nicer brakes work better, piggy backs cope with my weight - I'm going to have to agree to disagree on the build mattering... :) at least to upper-mid level.

I've had a few DPSs on analogs and one on a 2018 Levo, and pumped them all up with reducers and running near the limit on psi - then loved switching to a piggy back - DPX or X2. I firmly believe the DPS is technical XC at best and should not be on an eMTB.

The Sam2 6.8 has a Zeb and Super Deluxe. I'm quite keen on trying those as historically I've always preferred Rockshox forks, and you can swap out the damper and make that Zeb an Ultimate. I've had a Fox 38 Performance, and while it was fine, it wasn't what I'd call supple.

I'm not decided yet. It's funny, 4th ebike and I know all my trails like the back of my hand and I still have trouble deciding on which bike/travel/aggressiveness to choose. I think it's because I really need 2 or 3 bikes :) I've had ebikes with rear travel 135, 140 and 160. And still it's a hard decision :)

I've been thinking about chucking this next bike on the back of the ute and heading down to the mountains. Couple of days drive each way. But if I did it, I'd be very happy for the Sam2. We do have some trails here to really use it - the question is, do I want to just keep riding those? No. And it certainly is overkill for my local. But then a 150mm bike really is too.

I could always get a lightweight later. So many choices. See, this is why I can't decide :)

Last edited:

Zed

Feb 26, 2019
Brisbane, Australia
And about the piggyback shocks on the Jam, the large frame fits almost every coil shock, except maybe a Push 11.6, EXT and Fast, and i have fitted x2's and superdeluxes on mediums, not sure about smalls as we didn't stock them.
The x2 (or DPX2) on a Jam2 is interesting though, I'd be on a Large. And yeah, damper for the fork.

DenyeR

Apr 11, 2019
Santiago, Chile
Sure the weight is quite an important part of the equation about the suspension discussion, I'm 72kg and all my friends are about the same or below 80~ so we all agree on the fact that we really don't need Zebs or 38's as we don't really notice the shift in performance compared to the spending it requires to make the change, when speaking about brakes, there's no discussion, premium brakes all the way, biggest rotors you can get. Shifts on the ebike eeeh idk, i can live with slx/xt and gx but generally use cheaper cassettes as they suffer a lot and everything is getting more expensive. Would love to have enough regular income to buy x01 cassettes as they last a lot, but are over 500$ here.

On the decision on the new bike, I'd recommend waiting a bit as a lot of brands are releasing or announcing new bikes soon (Including the new Sam); or take a look at the Simplon Steamer Pmax, I've been lusting about it a lot as it's basically two bikes in one. Can't get a hold of 'em in Chile though. I'm probably moving to a Cube 160 bc value or a Transition Repeater if i can test it and fall in love bc its so darn expensive here.

Zed

Feb 26, 2019
Brisbane, Australia
Yeah waiting is not really a palatable option sadly as I've ended up in between bikes (long story) and been saving my butt off to get one :) waiting longer than I have to isn't going to happen lol...

Yeah I agree I can live with SLX happily too, and XT is all I'd buy if I was getting it myself - full groupset.

I've been wondering about using Garbaruk cassettes on the emtb, and how much difference the hardened steel would make... I'll probably try that in the near future I think, because they're wonderfully light too.

There is a real shortage of bikes here (Australia), and ones that aren't around have dates mid way through next year. Demo rides pretty much just forget it. Have to decide with thought experiments. Hence going insane.

I might do something different and go for the alloy Rise. I figure it's more like what a Trail eMtb should really be, rather than being 23+ kg. I'm not a huge fan of the EP8 to be honest - but there's trade offs with everything. I could get a heavy hitter next year then if I feel the need.

RustyMTB

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jul 22, 2020
UK
The Jam2 with the Bosch still has the inverted vertical shock and even on the highest spec it's a DPS which I'm not interested in. But with how it fits it looks like there'd be challenges getting piggy back shocks in there, and I don't want to be caught out with that.
Let me help you out there. The six series can easily take a piggy back upgrade if you really can't live with a DPS.

4tRT4spm.jpg

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles