New fork time -focus sam2 2022 model

Lee c

Jan 31, 2022
Uk
Hey guys I currently have a zeb r fitted to my sam2 6.8, but after scratching the stanchions at the weekend I’m thinking good excuse for an upgrade, but when I’m looking there seems to be two standards for steerer tube fitment and I don’t know what I need. Do I need 1.8 tapered or 1.5 ??? Hoping some one can help, I’ll. e looking at putting another zeb on as replacement

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
I scratched one stanchion on my fork and I phoned TF Tuned for advice. They said that they can be DIY repaired if they are not too bad. The main problem is that the edges of the scratch can damage the wiper seals, letting in crap. If the scratch is too bad to repair, the stanchions can be replaced. I believe that TF Tuned provide that service.

I'm certainly not trying to talk you out of a new fork, but you will get a better price for the old fork if it doesn't have scratches on the stanchions.

Lee c

Jan 31, 2022
Uk
Thanks Steve, my plan at the moment is to just keep riding while looking for a good deal on an ultimate, fancied one any way as the current fork has zero adjustment and I like tinkering haha, I just don’t know what steerer I need whether it 1.5 or 1.8 ?? Any ideas?

Lee c

Jan 31, 2022
Uk
I have found the answer using the serial number on the fork, it’s a 1.5” tapered if anyone is law needs to know 👍

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
On the advice of TF Tuned, I used a magnifying glass, a bright light and a very sharp knife. (I used a craft knife).

Take a look at the scratch and with the knife carefully remove any sharp edges from the edge of the scratch. These edges are what do the damage to the wiper seals. I have done that to a few small stone chips to one stanchion on my last bike.

YouTube will demonstrate that scratches can be filled and sanded down without doing further damage to your stanchion. It looked very dodgy to me. TF Tuned will tell you of how many forks have been written off when the filling falls off when below the wiper seal!

Lee c

Jan 31, 2022
Uk
Good shout that mate might have to give it a go and prolong the life a little it’s not awful but I think it will harm the seals eventually, I can feel it with finger nail and it right at the sag point

IMG_3401.jpeg IMG_3402.jpeg

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
If you are considering smoothing off that scratch, DO IT NOW!
Definitely before your next ride. That sharp raised edge on the scratch will damage your seals. :eek:

Lee c

Jan 31, 2022
Uk
If you are considering smoothing off that scratch, DO IT NOW!
Definitely before your next ride. That sharp raised edge on the scratch will damage your seals. :eek:

It’s not awful but bad enough haha now you can see why I’m looking at new forks haha I’ll get a new set in a couple of months so all good

Lee c

Jan 31, 2022
Uk
It happened at bike park wales so has already been ridden hard on trails as I didn’t know I had done it

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles