New EMTBer with some rear shock questions….

KingDingAling

Feb 10, 2023
Wiltshire, UK
Hi all,

I have transitioned from road to EMTB and I have a 2023 Trek Rail 9.5 and have no experience with modern full suspension bikes. I’m an engineer so I understand the theory and have a lot of options in regards to upgrading the rear shock but I just don’t have enough experience to choose between air or coil (I prefer the look of coil but that’s not everything, I know) Im mainly going to be riding trails so nothing mental so I’m looking for the right product for the job - I don’t want to chuck a load of money at the problem when a cheaper product will do the job.

I love a couple of miles from TF Tuned so my options are endless so once I know roughly what I need I’ll pay them a visit.

Thanks all
Danny

KnollyBro

E*POWAH Elite
Dec 3, 2020
Vancouver
Hi all,

I have transitioned from road to EMTB and I have a 2023 Trek Rail 9.5 and have no experience with modern full suspension bikes. I’m an engineer so I understand the theory and have a lot of options in regards to upgrading the rear shock but I just don’t have enough experience to choose between air or coil (I prefer the look of coil but that’s not everything, I know) Im mainly going to be riding trails so nothing mental so I’m looking for the right product for the job - I don’t want to chuck a load of money at the problem when a cheaper product will do the job.

I love a couple of miles from TF Tuned so my options are endless so once I know roughly what I need I’ll pay them a visit.

Thanks all
Danny
Do you have a particular reason why you don't like the shock that is on the bike? If you are going to upgrade a shock to something that is better than the one that is already on the bike, it will cost you over $500-1000+ so check out some youtube channels like this one to get a better understanding. BTW, bike are a money pit. You can't just change one component. Most rider start with the fork as it usually under spec'd.

KingDingAling

Feb 10, 2023
Wiltshire, UK
Thank for your reply! The rear shock is a RockShox Deluxe Select+ and it just doesn’t feel great and I read that it’s the most under spec’d part of the bike. The forks are Rockshox 35 gold and I’ll be likely replacing them to as I was a more reactive feel on the top.

I have come from road cycling with a completely carbon fibre bike so I’m fully aware of the “money pit” part of the sport. I’m happy to spend the money, I just want to spend it once on the right thing. For the price of the bike I think the shock is a bit budget

KnollyBro

E*POWAH Elite
Dec 3, 2020
Vancouver
Thank for your reply! The rear shock is a RockShox Deluxe Select+ and it just doesn’t feel great and I read that it’s the most under spec’d part of the bike. The forks are Rockshox 35 gold and I’ll be likely replacing them to as I was a more reactive feel on the top.

I have come from road cycling with a completely carbon fibre bike so I’m fully aware of the “money pit” part of the sport. I’m happy to spend the money, I just want to spend it once on the right thing. For the price of the bike I think the shock is a bit budget
Alright then! I run an Ohlins TTX22m coil shock with an Ohlins RXF36 M.2 air. My wife and I run this setup on our Levo SLs and on a Kenevo SL I have a Fox 38 Factory fork. You might as well start with some of the best and then you can save your money by not making incremental steps! Being an engineer, you might enjoy all the knobs you will get to adjust too :)

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
@KingDingAling Welcome to the Forum. :)

Before changing any suspension component on my bike, I always live with it for a while and make sure that I have got the best out of it before changing it in any way. That could be by upgrading it (substantially cheaper) or replacing and selling the old one.
Are you sure that you have got the best out of the shock that you have? It is easy to get a below standard set up. There is lots on YouTube to help. The most likely set up problem that people miss is not inflating the shock properly. Instead of inflating all the way to your target pressure, it should be inflated in steps, pausing to cycle the shock through its travel a few times before adding more air. The Rockshox website for your shock should be helpful here.

In terms of general suspension set up guides there is an excellent thread on here:

irie

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
May 2, 2022
Chichester, W.Sussex, UK
Hi all,

Thanks all
Danny
I have a 2022 Rail 5 (Alloy).

Used to have a Trek Fuel EX upgraded with Rockshox Pike Ultimate forks which I bought from TF Tuned. Bought a Rail then moved these forks onto the Rail (upgraded them from 150mm to 160m travel). The Rail had a Rockshox Select+ shock which really wasn't anything like as good as the forks. I upgraded the shock with MegNeg which made it work much better with the Pike Ultimate forks, but the forks were still much better than the shock (the shock caused the bike to pitch and interfered with the forks). So bought Ohlins TTX22m.2 from TF Tuned and the back end worked really nicely. I could now hit stuff harder but ... the front now wasn't as good as the back! So I bought Rockshox ZEB Ultimate Charger 3 forks (MY23) 160mm. Both ends of the bike are now better than me. Took me a year to do that stuff. 👍

Edit: wife also has a 2022 Rail 5 so moved the Pike Ultimates to her bike replacing her Rockshox 35 Gold RL forks.

Last edited:

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
sadly both the fork and shock on your bike are quite basic. If you are mainly doing trail riding there is no need to go mad with spec. I had the same shock and the a similar fork ( RS Rev 35) on a Levo Comp......the fork most definitely worse than the shock! I changed to a Fox DPS shock and Lyric Ultimate Fork and together they transformed the bike making it possible on both to get a plush initial stroke with good ramp up. The bike also became a lot more capable. Neither change is low cost however!!

Paulquattro

E*POWAH Elite
May 7, 2020
The Darkside
Hi welcome
Rail owner here too
I run a coil Fox DHX2 great but rides better with a progressive spring on the rail if your going to hit some good jumps
I ran a 180 zeb ultimate upfront for a while but have since changed to a Different fork which is way over the top for general trail riding thats all im saying on that
The stock shock and fork do let the lesser models down and are a worthwhile upgrade .

KingDingAling

Feb 10, 2023
Wiltshire, UK
Thanks for the sensible and helpful comments. I have seen how some threads can get so I appreciate you all taking the time to reply positively. My budget is better than my ability (not hard tbf) but that said, £2k for front and rear will be wasted on me so I’m just looking for something to allow me to get better without them being a hinderance. By the sounds of it the front is the place to start which leads me to ask - what the options are in that £500-700 range? And if it worth just spending the little bit more and going all out regardless? Ohlins I love but it’s a bit much for what I need really. I like Fox as I have history with them and always found them to be very serviceable and reliable (20 years ago so it’s an assumption) I have read good things about the Fox 34’s? And I also like the DVO stuff but I have no reference on that, just like the look of it.

I’m assuming there are adaptors to allow traditional steerers to fit the 1.8“ headset?

Thanks again

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Yes, I would start with some decent forks and go from there. To keep the expense down you need to look for some deals and I think it is more likely you will find better deals with Rockshox than Fox currently. I have seen some really good deals on RS Lyric forks and you certainly would not be disappointed with something like a Lyric Ultimate 2021 or 2022 which is when they were fitted with the Debonair air spring. I only have experience of the Fox 38 in the Fox range but pretty sre a Fox 36 would also be a good option if you can find a deal.

See for sale post on here by @Dave_B.........might be just what you are looking for.

Or.........
e.g.

Last edited:

Shjay

Apr 30, 2019
Kent
I am running one of these in a Yari RC fork, it’s very good. Was tuned for my weight & bike, Orbea Rise. Will work on the 35 gold but know the forks very basic. I have smashed a few PBs on local trials with this fork

irie

Subscriber
May 2, 2022
Chichester, W.Sussex, UK
Thanks for the sensible and helpful comments. I have seen how some threads can get so I appreciate you all taking the time to reply positively. My budget is better than my ability (not hard tbf) but that said, £2k for front and rear will be wasted on me so I’m just looking for something to allow me to get better without them being a hinderance. By the sounds of it the front is the place to start which leads me to ask - what the options are in that £500-700 range? And if it worth just spending the little bit more and going all out regardless? Ohlins I love but it’s a bit much for what I need really. I like Fox as I have history with them and always found them to be very serviceable and reliable (20 years ago so it’s an assumption) I have read good things about the Fox 34’s? And I also like the DVO stuff but I have no reference on that, just like the look of it.

I’m assuming there are adaptors to allow traditional steerers to fit the 1.8“ headset?

Thanks again
For £500‐700 I'd get a Megneg for the Select+ shock and £what's left on Rockshox (xxx) Ultimate 160mm forks. Rockshox is self maintainable. Have a word with TF Tuned perhaps ...

RustyIron

Subscriber
Jun 5, 2021
La Habra, California
I’m an engineer so I understand the theory and have a lot of options in regards to upgrading the rear shock but I just don’t have enough experience to choose between air or coil

Hey, Danny.
As an engineer, you can probably do the math. Sometimes the numbers suggest that a particular frame is better suited to an air shock. Other times, a coil shock might be better. I don't know anything about your Rail, but the manufacturer does, and so would a suspension expert. But like Steve was saying, you might want to ride the bike first. It's set up the way Trek wants it to run. If you go changing stuff around now, you won't know if your new shock is an actual improvement.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles