New EMTB options - seems limited at the moment

steve-a

Jan 19, 2021
Hornchurch, Essex
Over the next few weeks I am going to (hopefully) be making a purchase, not sure on exact budget, but looking at full suspension bikes so I am assuming I will have a starting budget of 4k, but more realistically it will be 5k or so.

I have looked at lots and lots of reviews online and there seems a lot of very decent bikes out there that would be ideal, but when i search on-line the choice seems very limited, obviously lots of people have had the same idea as me, but earlier so not as many options to actually chose from as there would be in a normal year.
Can anyone point me in the direction of a decent online retailer, or better yet, a decent bike shop in Essex (possibly Kent) or reasonably close to East / Central London that I could visit to actually look at the goods before laying out that kind of money?
Also, I have always preferred Specialized in the past, had a couple of stumpjumpers in my early years, looking at reviews on-line the specialized seem to be a decent option for my EMTB purchase but some of the comments on said reviews seem to be very scathing, basically over priced, under spec'd, what is the consensus?

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
If it was me I would buy locally. There’s a number of reasons for this that you’ve probably considered. Finding the “right “ bike might mean waiting a few months …maybe 6 months. ☹️

Mabman

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Feb 28, 2018
Oregon USA
An eBike is a learning experience best learned by having an eBike.. If you can find on in your size, color and components that add's up to a price you can afford you had better jump on it. Best as mentioned to buy locally no matter the brand and Spec's aren't that bad or else there wouldn't be a million of them out there. However as well documented production has been affected by Covid and not many bikes around in general.

Singletrack Scene

Nov 14, 2020
Nottingham
Over the next few weeks I am going to (hopefully) be making a purchase, not sure on exact budget, but looking at full suspension bikes so I am assuming I will have a starting budget of 4k, but more realistically it will be 5k or so.

I have looked at lots and lots of reviews online and there seems a lot of very decent bikes out there that would be ideal, but when i search on-line the choice seems very limited, obviously lots of people have had the same idea as me, but earlier so not as many options to actually chose from as there would be in a normal year.
Can anyone point me in the direction of a decent online retailer, or better yet, a decent bike shop in Essex (possibly Kent) or reasonably close to East / Central London that I could visit to actually look at the goods before laying out that kind of money?
Also, I have always preferred Specialized in the past, had a couple of stumpjumpers in my early years, looking at reviews on-line the specialized seem to be a decent option for my EMTB purchase but some of the comments on said reviews seem to be very scathing, basically over priced, under spec'd, what is the consensus?

The only real issue that would put me off the Levo or Kenevo (specialized) is the motor. They're far from the most reliable motor and do suffer very frequently with motor issues. The Brose motor isn't quite there for me yet.

steve-a

Jan 19, 2021
Hornchurch, Essex
Thanks for the responses, all good advice, i am hoping to go to a local shop tomorrow as i have a day off. I don't know if i can wait 6 months for the right bike unfortunately, going stir crazy with the current situation and see this as a way out mentally :)
What are peoples thoughts on second hand purchases, obviously keeping clear of gumtree / (ebay, unless reputable seller)

Singletrack Scene

Nov 14, 2020
Nottingham
Thanks for the responses, all good advice, i am hoping to go to a local shop tomorrow as i have a day off. I don't know if i can wait 6 months for the right bike unfortunately, going stir crazy with the current situation and see this as a way out mentally :)
What are peoples thoughts on second hand purchases, obviously keeping clear of gumtree / (ebay, unless reputable seller)

I'm personally an advocate for buying brand new, with a full warranty and starting afresh. -Ebikes are very susceptible to poor ownership and poor maintenance.

Voluptua

Oct 4, 2020
United Kingdom
If you can find a dealer who lets you borrow a bike then you may get a much better feel for what you want. For example, finding that a bike that feels enormous on first impression, is wonderful when hammering along. Even if you don't ride your final choice, it will inform.

Rubik

Jan 31, 2021
Billingshurst. West Sussex
If it was me I would buy locally. There’s a number of reasons for this that you’ve probably considered. Finding the “right “ bike might mean waiting a few months …maybe 6 months. ☹
Good luck in finding one....If you see one that suits, don't hesitate and buy it. We ordered a couple of Cube Reaction SL 625 bikes at the beginning of July 2020 with the 21 inch frame being delivered in October, and the 17 inch not yet delivered. Bike Shop advises that the model might not even get made for this model year, and trying to get an alternative and change components once delivered to get spec back as close to original spec.

Marley

Jan 28, 2021
VA
Unless you're a very skilled bike mechanic or know exactly what size frame you require and or bike, it's risky buying site unseen.
Local reputable bike shop is the way to go.

Bikes are in short supply so actually getting your hands on the bike you want or testing one out could likely be an issue.

I'm still waiting on a Trek Rail 7 but shop is confident that bike will be here next week.

Good luck in your search.

flash

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Nov 24, 2018
Wamberal, NSW Australia
Unless you're a very skilled bike mechanic or know exactly what size frame you require and or bike, it's risky buying site unseen.
Local reputable bike shop is the way to go.

Nah.... If this were true then on-line bike companies would never sell a bike. It's a bit more complex fitting a road bike because you're in the saddle so much more and efficiency plus aero is everything. Sizing an EMTB isn't that hard. I bought all 4 of my current bikes sight unseen. They all fit well. Manufacturers all have sizing charts that you can use to get you 90% of the way there. Customising cranks and cockpit will do the rest.

If you see a bike that is in your size. Buy it. Or someone else will.

Gordon

steve-a

Jan 19, 2021
Hornchurch, Essex
Thanks all, bit of an update, still trying to justify the costs of an EMBT to the wife, having 2 motor bikes in the garage currently doing SFA is not helping.
I am now looking at the Lapierre bikes as a possible option, obviously depending on costs and availability, otherwise it will be pedal power for me for a while i reckon.

EebStrider

Apr 18, 2020
Surrey, UK
Thanks all, bit of an update, still trying to justify the costs of an EMBT to the wife, having 2 motor bikes in the garage currently doing SFA is not helping.
I am now looking at the Lapierre bikes as a possible option, obviously depending on costs and availability, otherwise it will be pedal power for me for a while i reckon.

Don‘t tell the wife until you‘ve bought it. Forgiveness is easier to ask for than permission!

steve-a

Jan 19, 2021
Hornchurch, Essex
Going to try the Levo Comp for size and if it is OK I'll make a purchase, read lots of reviews, some great, others less so, mainly about it being the iPhone of the EMBT world in regards to being overpriced for the component set, I think that I'll just have to live with that and time goes by replace the components as and when needed. There really is too much choice out there, it's mind blowing all of the options so decided to take a punt.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles