Levo Gen 3 New bike, is the mastermind upspec worth it?

bowser

May 23, 2019
Australia
Getting a new gen 3 and tossing up the comp carbon or the comp alloy. Seems like a big price difference for the mastermind.
is it worth it?

salko

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Aug 29, 2019
SLO
If you talking only about TCU1 vs. TCU2 imho no, for much less money you can get much more information and features with Garmin Edge device ... But with Comp Carbon big price difference is also because of carbon frame, if carbon frame is what you want then there is no cheaper option anyway ...

bowser

May 23, 2019
Australia
no I meant the little display on the top tube. The carbon model gets the new fancy screen and the alloy model gets the old display the same as gen2 models all had

salko

Aug 29, 2019
SLO
Yes, with TCU1 was referring to old TCU (with no display), while with TCU2 was referring to new Mastermind TCU...

akira

Dec 9, 2021
SanDiego
Carbon Comp gets you a few upgrades beyond the TCU Mastermind over the Alloy Comp;

- Fact11 Carbon frame vs M5 Premium Alloy frame
- Code RS vs Code R brakes
- Fox Float 36 Rhythm with GRIP damper vs Fox 36 Rhythm
- SWAT CC steerer tube tool vs no tool

RebornRider

May 31, 2019
NorCal USA
<snark on>
If you can look down long enough to focus on that little TCU display, then maybe you should consider a gravel bike rather than an mtb. When I'm on a fire road getting to the trail, I'm not interested in seeing the information. When I'm on the single track, I don't want to take my eyes off the trail. Sometimes I'll try to sneak a peek at my Garmin to see how fast I'm going on a really fast (and bumpy and twisty and narrow) downhill, but I've never been able to get the number in focus before getting my eyes back on the trail. Better to record the ride data and look at it later. (BLEvo)
<snark off>

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Others have pointed out the full range of spec differences but since your initial post focused only on the TCU v Mastermind I assume the rest are not important to you. So it comes down to how interested you are in the additional features offered by the mastermind display.
Personally I would have no interest in it at all and its additional complexity would concern me in terms of reliability, especially since even the basic TCU is capable of giving problems if not properly protected. Replacement TCUs under warranty are actually kept in stock by some dealers...............I would doubt that is the case for the Mastermind at this stage.
Faced with your choice, it would be easy for me and have nothing to do with the TCU/Mastermind. I would not buy a carbon EMTB!! So it would be the Comp Ally.

bowser

May 23, 2019
Australia
Mikerb agree, most of the other components will be getting changed out at some stage. The carbon didn't really appeal to me either was just wondering if I was missing out on anything by not getting the new TCU.
out of interest, why don't you like the carbon frame?

salko

Aug 29, 2019
SLO
Carbon frame is more prone to get critical failure if high speed rocks are hitting the frame ...

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Mikerb agree, most of the other components will be getting changed out at some stage. The carbon didn't really appeal to me either was just wondering if I was missing out on anything by not getting the new TCU.
out of interest, why don't you like the carbon frame?
Based on my experience using carbon composite products in my other sport, Carbon is not the right material for a MTB. For Road bikes I see the potential benefit in terms of stiffness and lightweight and the absence ( barring crashes) of potential reasons for damaging the carbon. Even then, a carbon composite construction is labour intensive (expensive) and only as good as the composite design and the skill and knowledge of those involved making that frame. In my other sport I can access a lot of that information. Virtually none of that information is available for EMTBs.
With advances in hydro forming of Ally tubes, the progress in creating different Aluminium alloys, and the high degree of automation possible in the creation of an ally frame, carbon has little or no weight advantage over Ally, and given the dual triangle design of a FS bike frame, no significant difference in compression stiffness, and probably little difference in torsional stiffness either..........especially since on an EMTB the BB is replaced with a motor. So for a carbon frame you pay more for no real performance gain and an increased damage liability.

Just my opinion of course!!

salko

Aug 29, 2019
SLO
Another factor to not consider carbon frame is ugly raw carbon finish on these bikes, every time I see someone asking if those carbon patches are normal, I'm glad I have alloy frame...

ebikerider

Oct 1, 2019
Australia
If I had the opportunity to get a discount for not getting the new TCU I would have taken that option. For me it's pointless having the access to all the data/fields. All I need is the battery % and mode colour, the rest is bumfluff.

Winger

May 28, 2020
Birmingham
Another factor to not consider carbon frame is ugly raw carbon finish on these bikes, every time I see someone asking if those carbon patches are normal, I'm glad I have alloy frame...

Yep...hence why i’ve Ordered the alloy far easier to clean same as my 2020 is.

Mcharza

E*POWAH BOSS
Aug 10, 2018
Helsinki, Finland
Remember that motor lock and open it with pin code is coming. And it only work with Mastermind. That's why it already has encrypted bluetooth connection.

And my source is classified 😂

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Remember that motor lock and open it with pin code is coming. And it only work with Mastermind. That's why it already has encrypted bluetooth connection.

And my source is classified 😂
that sounds like a disaster waiting to happen!!o_O
I can see some future posts already..............." I put the f###king code in 3 times and it still will not unlock..........all I want to do is ride!!"

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles