New bike day!

GeorgesEBike

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Jul 30, 2018
Verdi, NV
My 2020 YT Decoy Pro 29er arrived today and took it for the very 1st ride. Love the geometry and suspension! I'm 6ft/135lbs and got the XL. Fit's perfectly! I did notice that the Shimano motor was not as powerful as the Brose on my 2020 S-Works Levo. Haven't had a chance to check out the settings with the Shimano App yet but plan to do so tomorrow. Hoping I can crank something up, lol. I do run my Levo with 100% shuttle mode so not sure is that is the difference. The motor was also cutting in and out on the flats and downhills but seemed to do better on the uphills. Thinking my battery is causing the knocking noise and causing the bike to cut in and out. Will check the battery fit tomorrow. Fit and finish is better than expected. Can't wait to get it dialed!

20200508_152454.jpg

photocycycler

May 2, 2020
PNW
Nice bike. I’m curious if you weighed it. I’m debating between the base and pro and curious if it really weighs the 48lbs advertised

photocycycler

May 2, 2020
PNW
I have not had the chance to weigh it yet but was very surprised how light it feels when I lift it. It's on par with my S-Works Levo.

Awesome. Well please report back after your next ride, curious if you work those kinks out. I know I have heard people complain about riding on flat roads where the speed limiter cuts in and makes it hard to go fast

rb.

Apr 27, 2020
San Jose, usa
Spoiler alert, compared to specialized the shimano app and software suck. Luckily the bike is pretty rad.

TransAmMan

Sep 18, 2019
Canada
Stunlocker is good though. You dont need the shimano one.

Highly recommend Stunlocker as well .. BUT you need to buy the license for FULL features to unleash the power of the APP and the bike (y)

Congrats on the new bike .. nothing beats the feeling

GeorgesEBike

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Jul 30, 2018
Verdi, NV
Took the Decoy for ride #2 today and it still cuts out on the flats and downhills. This only happens in Boost mode. If I'm in Trail mode the bike does not cut out at all. Wondering if this has something to do with the firmware.

Also still getting a loud knocking noise while descending. I will try descending without the battery in the bike to see if that is the issue.

The seat and alloy handlebars need to go! Will be swapping to my trusted Specialized Phenom Expert Seat and Renthal carbon bars.

rb.

Apr 27, 2020
San Jose, usa
Took the Decoy for ride #2 today and it still cuts out on the flats and downhills. This only happens in Boost mode. If I'm in Trail mode the bike does not cut out at all. Wondering if this has something to do with the firmware.
that sounds normal. Shift up, or drop the mode into trail/eco to keep the motor engaged.

Zero

Auto WARNING : Possible Duplicate user : "Fx1"
Apr 15, 2020
Midlands

Also still getting a loud knocking noise while descending. I will try descending without the battery in the bike to see if that is the issue.

The seat and alloy handlebars need to go! Will be swapping to my trusted Specialized Phenom Expert Seat and Renthal carbon bars.
You realise that it cuts out when it hits the speed limit?

GeorgesEBike

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Jul 30, 2018
Verdi, NV
You realise that it cuts out when it hits the speed limit?

The motor is cutting out at 9-10mph. It's not the speed limit causing this. Strange it only happens in Boost and only on flats and downhills.

Last edited:

GeorgesEBike

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Jul 30, 2018
Verdi, NV
Finally resolved the clunking noise. It was the power cable inside the frame. There is a loop of the cable right above where the battery connects to the frame. I zip tied the cable and re-routed it to avoid the clunking. Bike is now silent! Also rode in 100% Trail Mode today and the bike never cut out. My only complaint with the YT is the Shimano motor not providing as much power as the Brose in my Levo.

20200509_163822.jpg

photocycycler

May 2, 2020
PNW
Finally resolved the clunking noise. It was the power cable inside the frame. There is a loop of the cable right above where the battery connects to the frame. I zip tied the cable and re-routed it to avoid the clunking. Bike is now silent! Also rode in 100% Trail Mode today and the bike never cut out. My only complaint with the YT is the Shimano motor not providing as much power as the Brose in my Levo.

View attachment 31019
What are some examples of how the Levo had more power?

GeorgesEBike

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Jul 30, 2018
Verdi, NV
What are some examples of how the Levo had more power?

It's not even close. I run my Levo in Trail mode 100% of the time and it pulls much harder than the YT in Boost. I'm actually getting a workout riding my YT by having to pedal it. Boost on my Levo is actually too fast to climb with. The YT in Boost is lagging. Feels like the YT is 25lbs heavier than the Levo.

photocycycler

May 2, 2020
PNW
It's not even close. I run my Levo in Trail mode 100% of the time and it pulls much harder than the YT in Boost. I'm actually getting a workout riding my YT by having to pedal it. Boost on my Levo is actually too fast to climb with. The YT in Boost is lagging. Feels like the YT is 25lbs heavier than the Levo.

Are you disappointed with the Decoy?

GeorgesEBike

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Jul 30, 2018
Verdi, NV
So I went on my 5th ride today on my Decoy and finally have everything worked out. I'm starting to really like the bike!

Shimano Motor low on power = I logged into the Shimano App and set everything to High. Motor feels much better. Feels like it has 15% less power than the Brose Motor which is what I was expecting. I'm good with this.

Motor cutting out only in Boost Mode = This one is on me. My Specialized will continue to power up for a second or so after I stop pedaling so the motor really never stops unless I completely get off the pedals for a few seconds. I was able to run 100% Boost Mode today and the bike never cut out as long as I was applying pressure to the pedals.

Clunking Noise = I was able to re-route the power cable located inside the frame above where the battery mounts. Bike is now silent.

I am switching out the alloy handlebars for carbon. The alloy bars are harsh!

Also swapping the seat to a Specialized Phenom Expert which is what I've been riding for many years.

Will swap the tires to Maxxis Assegai's front and rear soon.

As far as geometry goes the Levo does climb better, faster on XC trails and just an easier bike to ride. The Decoy wins on the downhills but you do have to put in more effort to get the bike to shine. Super happy that I have both.

photocycycler

May 2, 2020
PNW
So I went on my 5th ride today on my Decoy and finally have everything worked out. I'm starting to really like the bike!

Shimano Motor low on power = I logged into the Shimano App and set everything to High. Motor feels much better. Feels like it has 15% less power than the Brose Motor which is what I was expecting. I'm good with this.

Motor cutting out only in Boost Mode = This one is on me. My Specialized will continue to power up for a second or so after I stop pedaling so the motor really never stops unless I completely get off the pedals for a few seconds. I was able to run 100% Boost Mode today and the bike never cut out as long as I was applying pressure to the pedals.

Clunking Noise = I was able to re-route the power cable located inside the frame above where the battery mounts. Bike is now silent.

I am switching out the alloy handlebars for carbon. The alloy bars are harsh!

Also swapping the seat to a Specialized Phenom Expert which is what I've been riding for many years.

Will swap the tires to Maxxis Assegai's front and rear soon.

As far as geometry goes the Levo does climb better, faster on XC trails and just an easier bike to ride. The Decoy wins on the downhills but you do have to put in more effort to get the bike to shine. Super happy that I have both.

Glad to hear you got the power up. What type of mileage and elevation did you get in today in full boost?

D

Deleted member 7401

I bought the decoy after only have tested the trek for a few minutes. Shimano motor has plenty of power. I think if I had a more powerful motor like the levo in addition to a larger battery....I would be even lazier on the bike. To each their own I guess.

GeorgesEBike

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Jul 30, 2018
Verdi, NV
I bought the decoy after only have tested the trek for a few minutes. Shimano motor has plenty of power. I think if I had a more powerful motor like the levo in addition to a larger battery....I would be even lazier on the bike. To each their own I guess.
I'm 45yrs old, 6ft tall and 135lbs. Been riding 6-7 days per week on a normal pedal bike for the past 15 years. I've owned a 2018, 2019 and 2020 Levo so that is what I'm used to for an e-bike. I do plan on riding the YT on days I want a workout and my Levo on days I want to have fun.

Zero

Auto WARNING : Possible Duplicate user : "Fx1"
Apr 15, 2020
Midlands
I took mine out today for a 15 mile blast around the trials. This bike is very capable and i much prefer its ability to a trail focused bike. Some black section rock gardens can cause issues with my trail bike but this think just blasts through the technical stuff. 20 mph limit is perfect and plenty of power in boost mode. The Fox suspension is superb and the adjustment is very responsive unlike Rockshox where clicks dont seem to change much. The grip2 damper is the connoisseur choice for sure.

This bike should do nicely for a couple of years until the next big jump in ebike technology.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles