Rail (750Wh) New Bike Day Take 2 - Rail 9.9 XTR

Zed

Feb 26, 2019
Brisbane, Australia
Long story short, I bought a Fuel EXe and while I was quite enamoured with the bike at first, things got a bit meh. I lost interest and it was a big chunk of money to fork out for something not that interesting to me.

Trek earnt themselves a repeat customer and budding fanboy by letting me swap it out for Rail. I'm so grateful. To be honest, I thought about just selling it new as I hadn't really planned on a Rail and gone through the whole mental processing of building up the desire for it. A strange situation to suddenly have a high spec bike I didn't really plan on. But all the reasons I went for a new bike are still there - I won't exercise otherwise, I have nothing to do when my kid is at his mums, it puts a smile on my face.

It's such a sweeeeet spec so after much deliberation including making the ad to sell it and then deleting it twice, I decided I was going to have to give it a go. Chucked a MaxxGrip Assegai on the front, a 3C Dissector with a cushcore on the rear, my grips and saddle, and rode it this morning.

It was really nice to be bombing down the trails again. Exciting. Just hucking off stuff not caring where I land was freeing too. Railing corners uphill. Yesss.... that was missing with the EXe... I had a lot of fun. Had to cut the ride short with parental responsibilities, burned the batt down to 52% in 90 mins or so of EMTB mode.

I've learnt then that the mid/low power bikes are not for me. I don't really want a bike that's more like a non-e bike. I want an ebike. Lighter and better handling would be good, but here I have a pretty damn light example of a full powered bike. Not sure it'll get much better that this for a good while yet.

My last full fat was an Orbea Wild and this Rail does fix some of it's shortcomings. It's not as monster truck, it doesn't soak everything up quite like the Wild did. This means it wants to get off the ground, which I really like. The Rail feels lighter and is more playful by a decent amount. The Zeb was superb on ride 1 with recommended settings. The rear soaked up landings superbly but needs some fiddling I think. XTR clangs into the next gear instantly, it's very nice.

One downside is I can feel the Bosch motor clutch clang through the pedals. I thought at first something might be loose. The bike shop gave me the bike without even putting sealant in the incorrect tires, so that didn't help my paranoia. But it's just the stiffness of the bike/cranks I think. Maybe it will wear in, if not I'll get to used it. I'll go retorque everything before next ride tomorrow morning :)

Dusty, post ride:
IMG_2731.JPEG

IMG_2734.JPEG

I thought that above photo, hosed down and still wet, would look good... Anyway, here's some clean ones pre my bits...
IMG_2725.JPEG

IMG_2724.JPEG

The paint job really is sweet, like a pearl glitter through it and without sun hitting it just looks dark grey like above.

Love the bike. Glad I didn't sell it. Will it keep me engaged long term? It has a good chance. We'll see...

Last edited:

Expidia

Subscriber
Jun 27, 2022
Capital Region, New York
You probably already watched this Youtube on the EXE light vs the Rail vid already, but it came to my mind when I saw your post and I had only watched it a few days ago.

I think from your post you made the right decision for your described riding style. The Rail has the motor power and the better battery life for sure.

Rubinstein

Apr 7, 2022
kent
Lovely bike, I think you're like a lot of riders out there, and I hear what you say on the mid/low power bikes. I nearly did the same earlier this year when I came very close to buying an Orbea rise after being wrapped up in the whole "light weight" thing. After loosing my bottle on the buy it now button I found a shop that would rent me a demo for the day, and although I found the bike very capable it just didn't have the fun factor for me coming from an 80nm bike. Im sitting on the fence now waiting for something with around 70-75nm and 17-18kgs to come along before I part with the hard earned, and ill be doing a demo.;)

Zed

Feb 26, 2019
Brisbane, Australia
Me too, and with at least a 500Wh battery and less than 20kg.
I think if Bosch did a mid power setup like this it'd make a lot of people happy and sell a lot of bikes. In all honesty, I don't think I'd care much, I'd just stick with my Gen 4 and 750wh. I can full turbo shuttle for a bit over 2 hours or go hard in eMTB mode for over 3 hours, and I wouldn't swap mine for any less at this point.

Totally agree on the demo, or the Trek 30 day. The Trek 30 day really is superior to a demo, because after just a demo I'd have taken the EXe, where it took a lot longer than that to realise it's not the bike for me.

Zed

Feb 26, 2019
Brisbane, Australia
So I nuked my crank arm today, on the 6th ride. I nuked my XTR derailleur on ride 4, or a chunky stick did while I was pedalling down a fast descent. Now on ride 6 I've nuked the bike for the weekend :(

I was riding down fast and the pedal felt wobbly, I stopped and checked, it all seemed good, figured it was in my head, kept going. Got worse. Thought ok I've bent a pedal spindle, kept riding. Thought about it more, realised the pedal spindle would not bend, must be the crank arm. The wobble got worse. I stopped, and the pedal thread was stripping the crank arm thread.

I don't know what to make of it to be honest. I thought at first the metal threaded part had come loose in the crank arm but that's not what happened. The pedal thread was chewing the thread in the crank arm. The only real conclusion is the pedal came loose, I kept pedalling and it chewed up the thread. Spewin' I didn't stop and properly sort it when I first felt something weird. But when it first started and I looked there wasn't any thread out, it didn't look or feel like the pedal was coming out.

I don't think I'm going to successfully warranty this, because it looks like I cross threaded a pedal. I'd curse the carbon cranks but the carbon doesn't seem to have anything to do it with it. Sad, expensive bits of kit to just bin.

I guess I'm going alloy... :(

Last edited:

Rubinstein

Apr 7, 2022
kent
So I nuked my crank arm today, on the 6th ride. I nuked my XTR derailleur on ride 4, or a chunky stick did while I was pedalling down a fast descent. Now on ride 6 I've nuked the bike for the weekend :(

I was riding down fast and the pedal felt wobbly, I stopped and checked, it all seemed good, figured it was in my head, kept going. Got worse. Thought ok I've bent a pedal spindle, kept riding. Thought about it more, realised the pedal spindle would not bend, must be the crank arm. The wobble got worse. I stopped, and the pedal thread was stripping the crank arm thread.

I don't know what to make of it to be honest. I thought at first the metal threaded part had come loose in the crank arm but that's not what happened. The pedal thread was chewing the thread in the crank arm. The only real conclusion is the pedal came loose, I kept pedalling and it chewed up the thread. But I checked when it first started and there wasn't any thread out, it didn't look or feel like the pedal was coming out.

I don't think I'm going to successfully warranty this, because it looks like I cross threaded a pedal. I'd curse the carbon cranks but the carbon doesn't seem to have anything to do it with it.

Well that sucks, however it does present the opportunity for upgrades 😉

Reactions: Zed

irie

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
May 2, 2022
Chichester, W.Sussex, UK
... I don't think I'm going to successfully warranty this, because it looks like I cross threaded a pedal. I'd curse the carbon cranks but the carbon doesn't seem to have anything to do it with it. Sad, expensive bits of kit to just bin.

Oh dear, alloy it is. Are the pedals threads still OK, or is it time for a pedal upgrade?

Rubinstein

Apr 7, 2022
kent
Hahahaha, no fkn way am I going to be (dollar-wise) upgrading from those $500-ish carbon bits. I can see the alloy e13 equivalent for $129. Those will be going on :)
Haha, come on man, it’s gotta be axs and 5dev minimum on a ride like that, 😂

Zed

Feb 26, 2019
Brisbane, Australia
Been seeing a lot of snapped rear derailleurs on YouTube and reading on the forum lately.

Mmmhmm. The XTR derailleur I broke the carbon bit. Probably wouldn't have broken if it was XT and alloy (I think it's alloy).

Last edited:

Zed

Feb 26, 2019
Brisbane, Australia
Haha, come on man, it’s gotta be axs and 5dev minimum on a ride like that, 😂
AXS I haven't tried, and I'm just not driven too :)

Honestly though using the XT 12 speed derailleur with the XTR shifter I cannot notice a difference in the shifting it's still absolutely perfect, it just CLANGS into the next gear either way. I can't see why I'd want AXS, other than bling (I know you were joking, I just don't get the AXS obsession though).

Zed

Feb 26, 2019
Brisbane, Australia
Oh dear, alloy it is. Are the pedals threads still OK, or is it time for a pedal upgrade?
I think they're fine, I scraped the alloy rings out of the pedal spindle threads and it appears unharmed, much sturdier stuff that the thread it raped. Shame really, new pedals would have been cheaper than new carbon cranks :) but not cheaper than new alloy cranks...

Rubinstein

Apr 7, 2022
kent
AXS I haven't tried, and I'm just not driven too :)

Honestly though using the XT 12 speed derailleur with the XTR shifter I cannot notice a difference in the shifting it's still absolutely perfect, it just CLANGS into the next gear either way. I can't see why I'd want AXS, other than bling (I know you were joking, I just don't get the AXS obsession though).
Have you read the ethirteen crank failure thread ?
seems to have been an issue for a while, and looks like a warranty thing, maybe save you a few bucks ??

• Helpful
Reactions: Zed

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles