New Bike Day, Fuel EXE

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
Well this is gonna be different. Have a Trek Rail 9.7 and sold the Powerfly HT to one of my kids. I stripped a few upgrades off the HT before my kid stole it.

I installed those things onto the new Fuel EXE.
IMG_7387.jpeg

Added the tires, seat, grips, bar, peddles to keep the feel similar to the Rail without losing that new bike smell. Ride Wrap arrives tomorrow so a test ride will wait until the rain stops.

What’s that you say? Future upgrades?
Magura MT7’s, Raceface ERA 160mm cranks, AXS Reverb dropper, Wheels (still deciding).

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Noice!

What make is the faux top tube?
or cheaper and probably just as good I use the one from Halfords. Cost £22. I bought it just to try and it is now my goto way to hang all my bikes from a bike stand. The only real limitation is if you want to work on the headset but for all other work it is just so quick, easy and stable. I have 2 Whyte EMTBs in size large and my wifes Cube hardtail in small and all fit just as easily.

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
Thanks Steve.
I’ll install the Ride Wrap before the inaugural ride.
IMG_7394.jpeg

This sh*t is so labour intensive. I can’t imagine paying a LBS to do this. 90% done…but then it’s suppose to dry for 24hrs.

Litespeed

Dec 23, 2023
Vista California
Well this is gonna be different. Have a Trek Rail 9.7 and sold the Powerfly HT to one of my kids. I stripped a few upgrades off the HT before my kid stole it.

I installed those things onto the new Fuel EXE. View attachment 133632
Added the tires, seat, grips, bar, peddles to keep the feel similar to the Rail without losing that new bike smell. Ride Wrap arrives tomorrow so a test ride will wait until the rain stops.

What’s that you say? Future upgrades?
Magura MT7’s, Raceface ERA 160mm cranks, AXS Reverb dropper, Wheels (still deciding).
am Magura fan. Have them on the "analog bike". I put on a oneup 150 dropper on my Trek Fuel Small exe 9.8 because the 100 was ridicu9lously short and the drop was pointless..

Cyclopath1000

Apr 26, 2019
Davis Ca
i’m replacing the brakes on my 9.8 gx axs with trd evo dh brakes. it’s probably over kill but unfortunately i just did the same to my 2019 commencal meta power and yes the bike weight is another 20 lbs but omg it’s now tap tap tap and my hands aren’t cramping. yes i’m just a coward who uses brakes. also put on 2.6 assegias instead of the bontrager. immediate improvement on norcal trails.
next is a new seat instead of the hard slab that came with the bike.
i bought the range extender but its heavy and i will only use if ride requires it.

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
am Magura fan. Have them on the "analog bike". I put on a oneup 150 dropper on my Trek Fuel Small exe 9.8 because the 100 was ridicu9lously short and the drop was pointless..
Yup, I feel your pain…in the but…

My medium Fuel came with the 150mm dropper but asked them to change that to a 170mm. (That cost me though). I now have a 150mm Bontrager dropper collecting dust, until someone breaks theirs.

I would’ve liked the carbon frame but the cost-jump was significant. I’ll eventually throw some upgrades at it instead.

irie

Subscriber
May 2, 2022
Chichester, W.Sussex, UK
Yup, I feel your pain…in the but…

My medium Fuel came with the 150mm dropper but asked them to change that to a 170mm. (That cost me though). I now have a 150mm Bontrager dropper collecting dust, until someone breaks theirs.

I would’ve liked the carbon frame but the cost-jump was significant. I’ll eventually throw some upgrades at it instead.
IMO you've done the right thing getting the alloy frame. And yes, a 170 dropper is a must, 150 is plain silly when a 170 will fit.

As for the Invisiframe, fitting it boring but once done you'll be good (patience is what runs short).

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
IMO you've done the right thing getting the alloy frame. And yes, a 170 dropper is a must, 150 is plain silly when a 170 will fit.

As for the Invisiframe, fitting it boring but once done you'll be good (patience is what runs short).
Thank gawd I’m done now. Left a few ride wrap pieces out but I’ll never get a scratch on that shock-pivot-thingy…right? I hope 🤞.

I’m very happy with the alloy frame 👍🏻.
Let things dry now…test ride tomorrow. 😥

KnollyBro

E*POWAH Elite
Dec 3, 2020
Vancouver
Thank gawd I’m done now. Left a few ride wrap pieces out but I’ll never get a scratch on that shock-pivot-thingy…right? I hope 🤞.

I’m very happy with the alloy frame 👍🏻.
Let things dry now…test ride tomorrow. 😥
God job! How are the trails on Burke? Can you get to Six and Red R?

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
Oh yes, right up to Mental Floss. Not above that though. Trails are in pretty good condition considering all the rain. Just the odd blow-down tree.

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
I’ll tune in the suspension on the lower trails (GreenBastard, Fluid, hustler etc. then head up till my legs fall off.
suppose to be nice weather for a while.

Cyclopath1000

Apr 26, 2019
Davis Ca
did you use the trek set up calculator? i’m 175 and so i set it at 187 lbs. front lyrik 99 and rear 187. i was at 50/150 so yes it was a bit too soft. i set it at 90/180. i bet i’ll drop it a bit.

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
did you use the trek set up calculator? i’m 175 and so i set it at 187 lbs. front lyrik 99 and rear 187. i was at 50/150 so yes it was a bit too soft. i set it at 90/180. i bet i’ll drop it a bit.
I think the fork is ok. But the shock….really stiff. Haven’t checked the psi yet.

Fox 36 and Fox Float X. Never tried those before.

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
First (real) Ride with the Fuel EXE.

The Climb.
I can usually ride to the entrance of our trails on Burke Mountain in about three minutes. This new bike took me 5+ minutes. The power was underwhelming …but I hadn’t setup the assist modes yet (eco, medium, high.) I continued the climb anyways and I’d make some adjustments to the power assist in the app once I reach an upper landing.

Once I reached the landing, motor adjustments were simple. Most levels were low assist or default settings. I changed everything to where I might like it. The assist delay level was too low for my liking …I changed that to 90%. That gave me a faster response …but not a rocket start. It also stopped the jerking motion or studdering feeling while I was under power. A few more rides and I’ll get the sweet spot.

Down Hill.
I dove into several trails after a long uphill ride. Holy Crap! This is not your father’s bike! Two trails and only two dabs. The berms and drops on the other trails were easier and probably faster. I think it was the lighter weight of the bike that allowed me “whip” around corners a little faster.

The brakes are gonna take some getting use to. These aren’t Magura MT7’s. (Soon). The shifting was amazing. Power through it…no clunking …totally smooth. What a quiet bike! I could hear my tires against the pebbles. And the birds are chirping.…and…😉

IMG_7397.jpeg

IMG_7399.jpeg

irie

Subscriber
May 2, 2022
Chichester, W.Sussex, UK
First (real) Ride with the Fuel EXE..

The brakes are gonna take some getting use to. These aren’t Magura MT7’s. (Soon).
From what I've read the sooner you replace the stock brakes the better. Lovely bike, and really envy your dry conditions compared to what we currently have.

Roscothebosco

Apr 10, 2024
Scotland
First (real) Ride with the Fuel EXE.

The Climb.
I can usually ride to the entrance of our trails on Burke Mountain in about three minutes. This new bike took me 5+ minutes. The power was underwhelming …but I hadn’t setup the assist modes yet (eco, medium, high.) I continued the climb anyways and I’d make some adjustments to the power assist in the app once I reach an upper landing.

Once I reached the landing, motor adjustments were simple. Most levels were low assist or default settings. I changed everything to where I might like it. The assist delay level was too low for my liking …I changed that to 90%. That gave me a faster response …but not a rocket start. It also stopped the jerking motion or studdering feeling while I was under power. A few more rides and I’ll get the sweet spot.

Down Hill.
I dove into several trails after a long uphill ride. Holy Crap! This is not your father’s bike! Two trails and only two dabs. The berms and drops on the other trails were easier and probably faster. I think it was the lighter weight of the bike that allowed me “whip” around corners a little faster.

The brakes are gonna take some getting use to. These aren’t Magura MT7’s. (Soon). The shifting was amazing. Power through it…no clunking …totally smooth. What a quiet bike! I could hear my tires against the pebbles. And the birds are chirping.…and…😉

View attachment 133925

View attachment 133926
Looks a cracker. I'm hoping for delivery of my EXe next week and can't wait to get out on it.

Cyclopath1000

Apr 26, 2019
Davis Ca
three “upgrades”.
trp evo dh brake set. code r brakes do not have the stopping power
assegai tires with the transitioning knobs are way better for conservative riders who don’t throw the bike into each turn.
the bontrager seat has got to be the most uncomfortable seat i’ve ever owned. this is a cheap $35 wtb pure seat which if you are used to wtb seats is a must.
oh and i switched the air shaft to a 160 mm from 150. might also buy a coil shock at some point.

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
Looks a cracker. I'm hoping for delivery of my EXe next week and can't wait to get out on it.
I originally got the Fuel EXE 8 to replace the Powerfly 5 hardtail but I still have the Rail 9.7. I thought the Fuel would be better or great for riding with the misses, a commuter, tame local trails and help level the playing field with my analog buddies. Was I ever wrong! 😑

I’m using the Fuel EXE more often than the Rail for the black, green, blue trails on our mountain. Don’t get me wrong …I still use the Rail, but mostly for higher altitudes or packing tools for trail work. It’s fast, a beast, a tank…I really like it!

The Fuel is a different animal for me. It’s a cardio workout. Fast on the down hill trails and a good bike, for me, when I ride with the Wife. This is the bike that might cause me to become a weight-weeny. (Ie; Carbon wheels).

The DB8 brakes seem to work fine for this bike …probably because it’s lighter and I’m a lightweight (165lbs). But the AXS T-type hardwire derailer is impressive but I don’t like the pod-type controller …I prefer the rocker/paddle instead. A new rocker controller might be an upgrade, but those are expensive.

Anyways, I’m 60/40 between the Fuel and Rail as far as use goes.

irie

Subscriber
May 2, 2022
Chichester, W.Sussex, UK
Wife and I have one bike each. Could have two each, but a lot of the time because of overlap wouldn't know which to ride, so jack of all trades Trek Rails it is. Would like an EXe for park days but that would be for perhaps 10 days a year. But in your case does make sense to have both. 😎

Still have the caravan used to live in while racing motorcycles on (closed road race) circuits and can get both Rails inside while towing. Going to Benodet in Brittany for two weeks early summer. 😬

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
Wife and I have one bike each. Could have two each, but a lot of the time because of overlap wouldn't know which to ride, so jack of all trades Trek Rails it is. Would like an EXe for park days but that would be for perhaps 10 days a year. But in your case does make sense to have both. 😎

Still have the caravan used to live in while racing motorcycles on (closed road race) circuits and can get both Rails inside while towing. Going to Benodet in Brittany for two weeks early summer. 😬
Yup, if I had to choose one it would be the Rail. It does everything. The Fuel EXE is great for a different purpose. If I visited bike parks …the Fuel would be the answer.

But for me …it slows me down on the climbs, speeds me up on theDH trails, a cardio workout, levels the field while I’m riding with my wife (Trek PF5), oh!…and it’s friggen quite.

Cell4soul

E*POWAH Master
Jul 11, 2022
Mesa, AZ
I started using that Saris tube to hang the carbon Rail. After a while it just got easy to mount and made servicing any bike easy.

View attachment 133685
My bikes now lineup to give it a try. 😉
This bar hangs on the tool shelf when not in use and takes me about 4 seconds to attach.
Be careful with the LCD display on on the EXe when using the Saris. I wasn’t paying attention and cracked the display While loading it onto the repair stand. The Saris is great though. Keeps the bike nice and level and spreads the weight instead of using the seatpost with a heavy bike.

Nice bike. You’ll love the EXe.

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
Be careful with the LCD display on on the EXe when using the Saris. I wasn’t paying attention and cracked the display While loading it onto the repair stand. The Saris is great though. Keeps the bike nice and level and spreads the weight instead of using the seatpost with a heavy bike.

Nice bike. You’ll love the EXe.
I actually never noticed or thought of that. Your right though …it is kinda close.

Roscothebosco

Apr 10, 2024
Scotland
New Bike Day....
Just got my New Fuel EXe 9.8 XT.
Can't wait to ride it. Unfortunately Trek decided to send me Sram Code brakes rather then XT as requested and the cassette was not XT which I find strange as it was the XT spec I ordered.
1000012988.jpg

They have agreed to send XT brakes and cassette out to me but just wondered if anyone else has had a similar issue.
I'm soooo looking forward to going to Glentress.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles