New 2021 Rail 9.8XT Finally Arrived

dixie600mhz

Oct 13, 2020
Austin, Texas
She's finally here. New 2021 Purple Faze Rail 9.8XT in large. Paid for on October 12th 2020 and arrived at the LBS Feb 25th 2021 in Dripping Springs, Texas.

I'm 5" 10" and it sizing feels perfect. The reach feels a bit shorter than my canyon spectral in large. All my other bikes have SRAM so looking forward to going back to Shimano. First thing I noticed was that to swap the brakes left to right (I'm from Scotland) I'll need to re-bleed. Not as easy as switching SRAM.

I pulled the hub as soon as I got home and see it already has 108pt engagement.

Invisframe install starts tonight : )

I'll write up a review soon on how the gen4 bosch compares to the 750W M600 Bafang on the wifes Luna X1.

Rail_2021.jpg

dixie600mhz

Oct 13, 2020
Austin, Texas
Thanks guys! I'm doing invisiframe now. What a faff but worth it. I have a couple of bubbles but hopefully can burst them with a pin later. I'm really happy with the invisiframe matt/gloss kit combo so far.

First impressions based on a 10 minute ride:

The shimano XT drivetrain is much better than the SRAM X01 I have on my two other bikes. I'm loving the solid shifts that are indexed up and down. I'll never buy an Eagle drivetrain again compared to this. When Eagle works its great but I'm never done chasing the X01 to keep it in the sweet spot.

The shimano SLX 4 piston brakes don't feel as good as my SRAM Guide Ultimate bikes. I bled them last night just to try and improve them. I miss the freeplay adjuster but see I can hack the SLX lever by removing a cap and adding an M4 screw. When I say not as good it's really just that free play adjuster that I think I'm missing to get a much better feel.

The bontrager pro line 30 hub came stock with 108pt engagement. It completely blows away my DT Swiss 240 and 250 hubs with 54 point. The 108 has less drag too compared to each of the DT Swiss.

I can't figure out if the kiox has a quick release? I thought it did but I don't want to break it.

Switching to maxxis assegai and rekons tonight with cushcore. The LBS said the stock tires are super light duty and recommended EXO+ or DD as soon as possible.

My plan was to fit a 36T sprocket but it looks like there's not much room to go bigger than 34T.

The e-mtb feels very natural. Overall the bike doesn't feel as powerful as the Luna X1 with M600 750W Bafang motor. When I really get out for a good trail ride I'll be able to compare the motors in detail.

Slowly getting it setup. I haven't even touched the rear shock yet. I have a shockwiz on the front.
108.jpg
brakes.jpg
guide ultimate.jpg
invisi1.jpg
invisi2.jpg
invisi3.jpg
invisi4.jpg
slx.jpg
spectral.jpg

Last edited:

dixie600mhz

Oct 13, 2020
Austin, Texas
This bike is awesome!

All was great until a rock strike earlier tonight. Check this out. Never seen anything like it. Looks like the chain came off then wrapped around the pedal and mangled the chainring. I have a spare 36T right now and was going to see if it would fit but I just realized that I bought the wrong bosch lock ring socket.

The tool shown below doesn't fit the gen4. Any tips on what socket I need?

4.PNG
3.PNG
2.jpg
tool.jpg
1.jpg

dixie600mhz

Oct 13, 2020
Austin, Texas
I can't find anything loose. I've never had a pedal strike do this before! It felt like just a regular pedal strike.

The real pain is just trying to find a shimano chain in stock. The existing chain is cracked and bent in more than one link.

Ordering stuff now. Just ordered the Unior bosch gen 4 lock ring socket and back up 34T chainring in case the 36T won't clear.

5.PNG

Four Flusher

Jun 24, 2019
Reno
I recently ordered a 8100 chain from Taiwan on Ebay, it had correct packaging, good pricing and it arrived in a few days.

GrantMeThePower

Feb 1, 2021
USA
Where are you located? My local trek shop was able to fit a new chain on me while I was waiting. I wonder if they’d have another. In near Los Angeles.
Another option-try calling local shops instead of online? The guy today told me that the long lead times meant that they’d stocked up and I bet plenty of places have done the same.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Impressive !!

Your existing lockring tool will fit the Bosch Active line motors and the Brose motors, but sadly not the Gen 4.

If you're struggling, also look at the SRAM chains, even the cheap ones. They seem to last well, if it's the cheaper ones, you don't mind changing them more frequently and in turn reducing wear on cassettes and chain rings. Though wear doesn't seem to be a problem at the moment on chain rings for you :unsure: ;):ROFLMAO:

dixie600mhz

Oct 13, 2020
Austin, Texas
Thanks for the advice guys. I'm in Austin, Texas and my local store does have a chain in stock. My issue is now I need to wait on the lock ring socket. I have a 36T e-thirteen now but ordered a 34T in case it won't fit.

The chain guide was torn clean off. Just ordered another one. I think this was just a freak thing. Soft suspension testing and an unlucky strike.

I'll need to resort to riding the "acoustic" bike for tonights group ride : )

GrantMeThePower

Feb 1, 2021
USA
I was wondering if there was an upgraded version of the chain guide with a bash guard that would fit the Bosch motor. It might have helped. Did you look into it? Glad you're getting it sorted.

bluewater87

Jul 12, 2020
Canada
Thanks for the advice guys. I'm in Austin, Texas and my local store does have a chain in stock. My issue is now I need to wait on the lock ring socket. I have a 36T e-thirteen now but ordered a 34T in case it won't fit.

The chain guide was torn clean off. Just ordered another one. I think this was just a freak thing. Soft suspension testing and an unlucky strike.

I'll need to resort to riding the "acoustic" bike for tonights group ride : )
are all 6 of your motor to frame bolts still centered in the frame holes? Worth a check.

The 36T is incredibly close to the chainstay. Plus the fact that the ring is aluminum which I find bends easily, I would NOT recommend the 36T.
I could pretty much push the ring into the stay.

also, a sram chain with a shimano quick link works fine with a shimano back end. I wouldn’t use it forever, but worked fine for me for a couple hundred kms before I swapped to the e13 ring and shimano chain.

dixie600mhz

Oct 13, 2020
Austin, Texas
Finally got the parts to repair. Just checked all the motor torx bolts and all are at 20Nm so nothing loose.

The 36T definitely won't fit. Check out pics below. Fitting the stock e-spec replacement steel 34T chainring today along with new chain guide and chain.

I noticed that the chain ring lock ring for gen 4, having part number "1.270.014.085" feels really soft, as in it could easily be stripped. I might buy a spare one of those just in case. They seem hard to find online after some quick looking. The plan is to put the oring and lock ring on with a lot of blue locktite and see if it will get to 30Nm.

36T Chainring fitted just to see if it will clear (it won't)
36T.jpg
36T_2.jpg
tool.jpg

crank.jpg

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles