New 150RS owner

phutureproof

Jun 4, 2021
Oxford
Collected today from the bike shop and have only zipped about the back of my house for half an hour.
In a word.
“wow”.
I had no idea they had the kick that they do, even in emtb mode.
First impressions are very good.

a couple of things I need to get used to: the cut off of the motor at 16mph. It does feel like the brakes are applied slightly. Easy to hit that on a road/pavement but likely not that noticeable on a proper ride I imagine.
Also the weight will take time to get used to. Not for riding but just for manhandling the bike around the place. For example I regularly grab to bars and pull my bike onto its back wheel to navigate past my car on the driveway. Doing the same with this bike is obviously a lot trickier than a a 26” wheel hardtail ?.
But what a bike!!

phutureproof

Jun 4, 2021
Oxford
And the other thing I was needlessly concerned about before testing ANY eMTB was the motor noise. It is soooo quiet. Much much better than expected.

The Hodge

Mystic Meg
Subscriber
Sep 9, 2020
North West Northumberland
Glad your first impressions are good ..
Just a quick point when you said " even in emtb mode" depending on your " effort " that you put in that mode switches between "tour "and " turbo" ..to match your cadence ..so its quite feasible that you were in turbo..
Ive got the 160rs and its capability continues to surprise and amaze me ..
Enjoy & have fun ..?

phutureproof

Jun 4, 2021
Oxford
Just a quick point when you said " even in emtb mode" depending on your " effort " that you put in that mode switches between "tour "and " turbo" ..to match your cadence ..so its quite feasible that you were in turbo..

Good point. That's probably it. I need to get it out on a proper ride, but weather and my work are not playing ball right now! Painful.

Hobo Mikey

E*POWAH Elite
Subscriber
May 22, 2020
Where ever
Glad you like your new bike, you made a good choice. The cut off point you will get used to that’s normal. When your out on the trails you won’t notice it so much. To get it up on back wheel to get past something I roll it forward and pull the bars back with the back brake on, comes up easy. Enjoy your new ride. (y)

The EMF

🔱 Aquaman 🔱
Subscriber
Nov 4, 2020
South East Northumberland
Some what..mudg..(try again)...some mudgu...( one more time )..some mudgua..
Nah .fk it ..simply does not register ..what are these things you talk of ...?

As ugly as they are my mudhugger rear is, it’s going back on when the clocks go back…….contrary to popular belief , I hate sitting on a seat covered in crap and having to clean my gear after every ride after all that the worst of what winter riding throws up…..nah compared to being wet, sleck and covered in filthy farm animal shite I’m sticking with the mudguard ?………….

Tribey

Jan 1, 2019
South Devon, UK
As ugly as they are my mudhugger rear is, it’s going back on when the clocks go back…….contrary to popular belief , I hate sitting on a seat covered in crap and having to clean my gear after every ride after all that the worst of what winter riding throws up…..nah compared to being wet, sleck and covered in filthy farm animal shite I’m sticking with the mudguard ?………….

Not even bothered taking mine off for summer!

phutureproof

Jun 4, 2021
Oxford
With work and holidays I’ve only managed two very modest local rides so far. Generally speaking, it’s awesome. Looking forward to taking it further afield with some proper hills (not much around Oxford!).
The one concern I do have is the cut out of the motor at 16.6mph. Once I hit that (which is most of the time in the relative flat trails), it feels like treacle or that the brake is on. I understand that it is a heavy bike, but I’m just very surprised at the feeling if it is only caused by the greater weight of the bike and a small amount of drag from the motor.
I know that when I go with my mates on their analog bikes, they’ll leave me for dust on all but the downhills and uphills (anything closer to level or even modest hills and I’d be quicker myself on an analogue).
it does make me start to wonder about de-restriction. I am not a speed demon, but I perhaps do like to travel faster than ‘average’.

E150rob

Jul 14, 2021
Teeside
With work and holidays I’ve only managed two very modest local rides so far. Generally speaking, it’s awesome. Looking forward to taking it further afield with some proper hills (not much around Oxford!).
The one concern I do have is the cut out of the motor at 16.6mph. Once I hit that (which is most of the time in the relative flat trails), it feels like treacle or that the brake is on. I understand that it is a heavy bike, but I’m just very surprised at the feeling if it is only caused by the greater weight of the bike and a small amount of drag from the motor.
I know that when I go with my mates on their analog bikes, they’ll leave me for dust on all but the downhills and uphills (anything closer to level or even modest hills and I’d be quicker myself on an analogue).
it does make me start to wonder about de-restriction. I am not a speed demon, but I perhaps do like to travel faster than ‘average’.
Hey up, I've recently got my self a 2022 e150 rs v2 and I'm having the exact same thoughts. Everyone's told me that I wouldn't notice the motor cut off once on the trails but after two good rides out Its really quite annoying when the trail levels out and your stuck at 16mph. Speed box 3 in coming soon I think.

phutureproof

Jun 4, 2021
Oxford
Hey up, I've recently got my self a 2022 e150 rs v2 and I'm having the exact same thoughts. Everyone's told me that I wouldn't notice the motor cut off once on the trails but after two good rides out Its really quite annoying when the trail levels out and your stuck at 16mph. Speed box 3 in coming soon I think.
Have you spoken to your bike shop about it? I haven’t yet, but I might give them a call.
im just really surprised that more people aren’t complaining about this. I wonder if it is the Bosch’s motor itself or the Whyte bike? I might investigate other bikes that use the same motor andpost a thread to see if they feel the same.

The Hodge

Mystic Meg
Subscriber
Sep 9, 2020
You would be wasting your time....there are loads of threads about this subject ..never really found it too much of a problem ..all of my friends on normal mtbs would have a problem staying in touch ( overall ) if I decided to " trot on " ..

phutureproof

Jun 4, 2021
Oxford
Maybe. I was expecting a certain amount of friction from all the reviews and threads I have read, but I had no idea it would be quite so 'treacly'.

E150rob

Jul 14, 2021
Teeside
Just typical governments ridiculous safety rules I think mate. You will find all e bikes are the same unless de ristricted obviously. I know your taking a risk by fitting a tuning box but it's all about smiles per miles and it's worth the risk for me. It won't be the end of the world if it ever needed a new motor.

The Hodge

Mystic Meg
Subscriber
Sep 9, 2020
Tbh mate ..most of us prefer to concentrate on the positives..and just accept that ( as its a heavy bike) when the motor assist cuts out we have a bit of work to do ...

E150rob

Jul 14, 2021
Teeside
I think it's probably a bit of an illusion when your so used to the feel of the motor boosting you then it feels very slow when it actually cuts off. I've done a few short rides with it Completley turned off and was supprised how easy it actually felt.

The EMF

🔱 Aquaman 🔱
Subscriber
Nov 4, 2020
South East Northumberland
I find my my E-150RS quite a good bike to pedal without motor assistance. I know it’s heavy but it’s also well balanced without noticeable pedal Bob due to the excellent design geometry and suspension. The motor disengagement at 16 mph is hardly noticeable, just quiet.
Mind you when gravity works against you the motor cuts in thankfully.
I would rather pedal the Whyte than my Mondraker Kieser I had back in the day.

Jamze

Jun 30, 2020
Oxfordshire
I know that when I go with my mates on their analog bikes, they’ll leave me for dust on all but the downhills and uphills
Have you ridden with mates yet? You might be underestimating how quick your e150 is. My e160 will cruise along at 20mph without too much effort on the flat. When out on our group ride, the motor is off or in ECO. But it's a fairly leisurely pace. A few times I've split off with another mate (hardtail, runs marathons) for a blast and he struggles to keep up at places like Swinley. Less about top speed, it's more about the acceleration.

So I'm happy with keeping my Bosch stock.

Last edited:

Penttithefinn

Feb 3, 2021
Suffolk
I would say you are riding the wrong trails. Around the twisties and over roots and bumps, I accelerate out leaving analogue bikes gasping for breath, on smooth flowing trails, or down hill I struggle to keep up, but if you have an ebike to chase Strava I think you have bought it for the wrong reason.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles