Mystery brake adaptor

Swissrider

Nov 1, 2018
Switzerland
Photos which should have been attached to my precious post!

350E9566-44D2-42E7-AABF-4F55B9E7FDD1.jpeg CB2331B1-3D34-4311-90FB-DE40622F1065.jpeg 9A5B36A7-6D04-4BCC-98AD-BECC491020D3.jpeg

iJak

Mar 2, 2022
Vancouver BC
LOL - right off the bat I can see that the cup and cone spacer is NOT suppose to be between the brake and adapter. It should be in this order: bolt, cup & cone, brake, adapter spacer, fork.

Swissrider

Nov 1, 2018
Switzerland
Yes, I know. The shop did that when they fitted it because they were using the wrong adaptor - for a 200mm rotor instead of a 203mm rotor. That was the only way they could get the caliper to be more or less in the right place. As it happens, it was too far out so the outside of the pads were not touching the disk and led to a ridge on the outside of the pad. When I receive the correct adaptor, I will fit it and send a photo to the shop so they can see how it should look! Its a two hour round trip to the shop so I can't be bothered to do that just to show them what they did wrong.

Swissrider

Nov 1, 2018
Switzerland
Your'e right. Or use the correct adaptor. From a mechanical point of view, I think it is better if the adaptor is flush against the posts of the forks. Plus, when putting the calipers back on one has to fiddle around with extra washers, which is a bit of a pain. I will only go back to that shop if I have a warranty issue.

Swissrider

Nov 1, 2018
Switzerland
Mine is coming from bike-components.de. Although they are in Germany (and I'm in Switzerland) their prices are very competitive, they have an enormous range, and very quick service. Unfortunately, they no longer deliver to the UK - blame Brexit.

Swissrider

Nov 1, 2018
Switzerland
The correct Shimano adaptor arrived today and it fits perfectly. I’ve sent photos to the shop which fitted the wrong one to show how it should be done. Before I picked up the bike, I had ordered the brake upgrade (which is offered by Orbea as an option anyway) and the bike should have been ready. Fortunately, I noticed that the upgrade hadn’t been done and so there was a bit of a mad panic to do it. They could not find an adaptor so took one off another bike, which must have been fitted with a 200mm rotor. Hence the fiddling around with washers (which they got wrong and caused uneven brake wear). I realised when I took the bike back that they didn’t really understand the problem. My experience with bike shops is that they generally know what they are doing and do a pretty good job, so I think I was just unlucky this time.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles