Mysterious noise, unusual cure.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
First ride out on trails since early November (chest infection). Within minutes I was getting a metallic tapping noise from the front. The faster I went and the rougher it got, the faster and louder the noise.

I checked the headset adjustment, all good. I checked the front wheel axle for tightness, all good. Just in case I checked the crank axle, all good. I was starting to get concerned that it might be the fork and I was riding over drops at various speeds. I couldn't find anything.

As I couldn't find it, I thought I'd ignore it and just ride. Then I got an insect in my helmet. When I removed the helmet, I disturbed my behind-the-ear hearing aids. I had forgotten I'd got them on. They are relatively new to me, still inside the 90-day money back guarantee introductory period. I took them off and put them in my pocket, there was no way I wanted to lose them!

The noise problem had gone! It appears that my riding specs were rattling on the top of the devices! :ROFLMAO:

irie

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
May 2, 2022
Chichester, W.Sussex, UK
First ride out on trails since early November (chest infection). Within minutes I was getting a metallic tapping noise from the front. The faster I went and the rougher it got, the faster and louder the noise.

I checked the headset adjustment, all good. I checked the front wheel axle for tightness, all good. Just in case I checked the crank axle, all good. I was starting to get concerned that it might be the fork and I was riding over drops at various speeds. I couldn't find anything.

As I couldn't find it, I thought I'd ignore it and just ride. Then I got an insect in my helmet. When I removed the helmet, I disturbed my behind-the-ear hearing aids. I had forgotten I'd got them on. They are relatively new to me, still inside the 90-day money back guarantee introductory period. I took them off and put them in my pocket, there was no way I wanted to lose them!

The noise problem had gone! It appears that my riding specs were rattling on the top of the devices! :ROFLMAO:
I also ride with behind the ear hearing aids (Oticon More 1) which I'm new(ish) to. Used to wear Oakley Jawbreaker Trail Torch glasses but had a couple of 'offs' where a HA was dislodged, second time was lucky to find it in the undergrowth. So now wear Oakley Airbreak Trail Torch goggles which when fitted the over the helmet headband sits over the top of the ears holding the HAs in place. Look like a dork but no more risk of HA loss. (y)

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Doh.....of course the noise disappeared....you took your hearing aids out!! :LOL:

Sorry ...could not resist!!

Seriously I have had a similar experience. Wearing Oakley Jawbreakers with my previous open face helmet I had the rattle...especially on gnarly downhills..........that turned out to be the glasses hitting the rim of the helmet. I now have a POC helmet and that does not happen anymore.

Nicho

Captain Caption
Subscriber
Jan 4, 2020
Furness, South Cumbria.

A few years ago I experienced the opposite effect.
I was on my motorbike and could hear a buzzing noise which continued for a few weeks, and I assumed it was something vibrating on the bike, although I was unable to find the cause.
One day I stopped the bike and took off the helmet and was alarmed because I could still hear the buzzing noise!
It turned out to be the start of Tinnitus, which was eventually greatly reduced when I got hearing aids.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Doh.....of course the noise disappeared....you took your hearing aids out!! :LOL:

Sorry ...could not resist!!
I did think of that. Thankfully I am not totally deaf without my aids. It is just the high frequency stuff I miss; unfortunately, the exact bits I need to hear speech clearly.
The best bit is that despite having short hair, I haven't met anyone that has noticed that I am wearing them. I even looked straight at my mate, with my other mate sat directly on my right and told them both that there was something different about me. They were both within 3-4 feet and had a good look but couldn't see anything. :) That was my concern initially, that people would see them and behave differently towards me. Well, they do now, but it's not because of what they can or can't see, it's because they no longer think I'm hard of hearing! :love:

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
A few years ago I experienced the opposite effect.
I was on my motorbike and could hear a buzzing noise which continued for a few weeks, and I assumed it was something vibrating on the bike, although I was unable to find the cause.
One day I stopped the bike and took off the helmet and was alarmed because I could still hear the buzzing noise!
It turned out to be the start of Tinnitus, which was eventually greatly reduced when I got hearing aids.
Tinnitus can be annoying when it's mild and extremely distressing when it's bad, so you have my sympathy.

This next bit is going to sound awfully boastful or maybe just plain weird, but I say it to give hope to those affected.
I started with tinnitus and it was slowly getting worse. It was in the quiet times that it was most noticeable and it didn't bother me too much when I was working. But as I said it was slowly getting worse, so I decided to just ignore it! It took several months, but one day I suddenly realised that I wasn't troubled with it anymore. My GP was doubtful, but the fact is that I had tinnitus and now I don't. I got rid of it years before I started with hearing aids.

irie

Subscriber
May 2, 2022
Chichester, W.Sussex, UK
I did think of that. Thankfully I am not totally deaf without my aids. It is just the high frequency stuff I miss; unfortunately, the exact bits I need to hear speech clearly.
Ditto.

Medical wife finally had enough repeating herself so have got into the habit of wearing them all the time. As part of her job she does hearing tests so there's no dodging the issue.

Last edited:

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Ditto.

Medical wife finally had enough repeating herself so have got into the habit of wearing them all the time. As part of her job she does hearing tests so there's no dodging the issue.
This was the result of my hearing test: Blue is left ear, red is right ear.
Hearing Chart.jpg

That black outline that looks a bit like the head of a cartoon cat is the average of 23000 people's speech. The letters like "k" and "f" etc. and phonemes like "ch" and "sh" are also shown. The solid light grey area is what I can hear unaided. So you can see that I was hearing about half of what people were saying, unless they spoke up!

Last edited:

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
My work required that we have yearly hearing tests. Since most of my career was as a tree faller, the sound of a chainsaw can be damaging. However I could still hear certain sounds or frequencies necessary for my safety.

Standard hearing protection (ear-muff) was extremely hot for me in almost any temperature. I soon started using ear-plugs which were custom fitted for my ear shape. I’ve been using these for 30+ years now. This is my fifth pair.

IMG_7236.jpeg

I don’t use hearing aids yet. My Cocker Spaniel (typical issue) had both ears operated on which resulted in total hearing loss. I use sign language with him now and he will likely live much longer and healthier. I sometimes tell the wife that I want the same operation …especially on Sunday during NFL games. 😉

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles