E8050 Cranks - Clicking Noise

brw0513

May 18, 2019
Brisbane, Australia
Hi All.

I've enjoyed owning my 2018 eONE-SIXTY 900-E. It was purchased used with around 4000kms on the odo. It's approaching 6000 kms now.

For the last 1000km or so, it's had a very annoying double clicking sound that is timed with the chain ring rotation. In that time, I've tried multiple things to solve the clicking issue. A new chain ring, chain and cassette solved the problem but only for a very short time. Out of desperation, I recently tried swapping the cranks from side to side. The clicking disappeared for 95% of my 34km ride today!

Anyone else had this issue? The splined (fluted) output shaft on the non-drive side has some very minor signs of surface rust but still looks good. The drive side is perfect. Is it possible that crank arms wear and require replacement?

Good advice appreciated.

Arseni

Apr 24, 2021
Batumi, Georgia republic
I have somewhat similar issue with my e160 8000

Does your 900 have ep8 motor?

Does it sound anywhere close to this? ( Shimano EP8 clicks. )

Does the click go away after a few miles into the ride? (Mine does)

Huh: Quick Update - Trier swapping the cranks left to right - same click.

Last edited:

HORSPWR

E*POWAH Master
May 23, 2019
Alice Springs, Australia
I've got the exact same bike/year as you OP. Mine was clicking early on, but I did two things. Firstly, I removed the motor bolts one at a time and greased them with a good synthetic waterproof grease and Loctite on the treads. No more clicking. Then it came back but sounded different to the first time, eventually I bent a crank arm after a serious get off and bought some new crank arms shorter than stock, once installed correctly I didn't have any more clicking.

brw0513

May 18, 2019
Brisbane, Australia
I eventually found the double clicking noise. It turns out it was the left side pedal. The thread in the crank arm was damaged - I suspect from a heavy pedal strike. The pedal spindle was also bent by a small amount. I changed the crank and pedal and the double clicking disappeared!

HORSPWR

E*POWAH Master
May 23, 2019
Alice Springs, Australia
I eventually found the double clicking noise. It turns out it was the left side pedal. The thread in the crank arm was damaged - I suspect from a heavy pedal strike. The pedal spindle was also bent by a small amount. I changed the crank and pedal and the double clicking disappeared!
I don't know what pedals you use but these below are amazing. I hit a rock, bent my crank arm like a banana to the point where I couldn't even pedal my bike without it hitting the chainstay and thought I'd bent a pedal axle. So, I contacted One Up Components via email because they don't have pedal rebuild kits and they offered to send me a new set for free. Well, they got sent to Denmark, so they sent me another set for free. Then it turns out my original pedal wasn't bent at all and both replacement free sets eventually turned up. Super strong pedals and amazing service from One Up Components.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles