My Emtb life ( Ongoing Blog ): Current bike: Haibike Sduro Hardseven 2.5

Slymobi

E*POWAH Master
Mar 13, 2021
UK, Derbyshire
Are they 3 pawls with gaps or 9 individual ones?
they are gaps not individual
IMG_20220628_161902.jpg

Slymobi

E*POWAH Master
Mar 13, 2021
UK, Derbyshire
Am i over thinking things ?

So long as i get a 9 speed HG Freehub body does it really matter what style the pawls are ?

ive seen some DT Swiss 3 pawl freehub bodies that are available but have no clue if these can fit into this part..

IMG_20220628_123309.jpg

Are there different sizing standards or can i just fit any HG body ?

Attachments

• IMG_20220628_123309.jpg
    IMG_20220628_123309.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 95

Slymobi

E*POWAH Master
Mar 13, 2021
UK, Derbyshire
it will fit but will depend if the pawls will engage with the teeth in the hub and not slip or destroy the both of them but if they look like the same shape it is worth a shot.

thanks shockwave, Think i must have read that blog about 5 times already today. Got a mahoooooosive headache from trolling the interweb now so giving up.

Think it probably best to just get that same same and hopefully it arrives before Christmas.

Thats the lakes ride crossed off for me now

Planemo

E*POWAH Elite
Mar 12, 2021
Essex UK
Haibike sourcing nightmares incoming once again i think

Getting individual OE component parts for many bikes will be a problem. It's not specific to Haibike. Reason being, most people won't be interested in trying to find pawls or even hubs to replace what are often fairly shitty OE spec parts.

I've always been happy to and in fact enjoy tinkering with my bikes but even I wouldn't get involved in this. Any part of a hub giving me jip would simply prompt me to get a new complete wheel unless I had an uber expensive wheel to start with. OTOH, I have never had a hub fail in 30 years of riding so it's not an area I've had to look at. That includes stock hubs on all sorts of MTB's.

As you have found, trying to mess about replacing individual parts can be frustrating at best and at the end of the day your hub lasted just 2200 miles so I wouldn't want anything like the same spec again anyway.

I know money is tight and I am no different to yourself, but sometimes you just gotta find the money somewhere if you want to carry on riding. If it were me, I would just go to somewhere like CRC and get a complete new wheel or scour Ebay for a decent used one.

I totally get you are trying to save money though, and I wish you all the luck in maybe finding pawls or a new hub to lace to your existing rim.

Slymobi

E*POWAH Master
Mar 13, 2021
UK, Derbyshire
Haibike dealer is looking at sourcing the hub body, i think i will end up buying some new wheels and then using my existing as spares once the part has come.

As a last ditch test i decided to get the grinder out and re-shape the pawls back to a point where they bite......

Definitely dont trust this for a hilly ride but might be able to flat local ride a bit until i get parts

Temporary Result

Planemo

E*POWAH Elite
Mar 12, 2021
Essex UK
I did actually consider suggesting you took a dremel to the pawls but thought that was far too monkey :LOL:

I wasn't sure how long it would last either, given they may be surface hardened as stock

I also didn't want to be the one held responsible had you shredded your knees due to a slippage whilst grinding up a hill

Glad it got you back on the bike though (y)

Slymobi

E*POWAH Master
Mar 13, 2021
UK, Derbyshire
I did actually consider suggesting you took a dremel to the pawls but thought that was far too monkey

I wasn't sure how long it would last either, given they may be surface hardened as stock

I also didn't want to be the one held responsible had you shredded your knees due to a slippage whilst grinding up a hill

Glad it got you back on the bike though (y)
haha it was the 4th option but didn't want to mention it and get slated i can hear it clunking a little so cant see it lasting long. Hopefully get the replacement part soon but girlpants ( the boss ) has approved my need of parts as she cant cope with my sulking lol.

i reckon i can get away with a £300 budget and would want a wheelset if possible for that !!

any recommendations?

Slymobi

E*POWAH Master
Mar 13, 2021
UK, Derbyshire
Tease thats in budget for 1 but over budget for wheelset.

Tubby G

❤️‍🔥 Hot Stuff ❤️‍🔥
Dec 15, 2020
North Yorkshire
Tease thats in budget for 1 but over budget for wheelset.

When I knackered my rear hub on my Haibike (my fault, jumping onto rocks) I ended up getting a cheap Nukeproof Neuron wheelset and it seems absolutely fine for the price, around £170

Slymobi

E*POWAH Master
Mar 13, 2021
UK, Derbyshire
When I knackered my rear hub on my Haibike (my fault, jumping onto rocks) I ended up getting a cheap Nukeproof Neuron wheelset and it seems absolutely fine for the price, around £170

Ahhhhh i have already bookmarked that wheel seen it this morning before heading over to a haibike dealer. Great to hear its holding up.
Definitely an option and with a front too its coming in at £289.

Seen the Miche ebike wheels but not sure if these are a good choice ! but at £250 for set and tagged as ebike specific ( lol i know ) i might go for them.

Last edited:

Slymobi

E*POWAH Master
Mar 13, 2021
UK, Derbyshire
I've just opted for the Miche wheelset, The £40 saving over the nukeproof will hopefully cover the cost of the Haibike freehub body and then i have a spare set of wheels.

Slymobi

E*POWAH Master
Mar 13, 2021
UK, Derbyshire
ordered some pawls

IMG_20220629_211622.jpg

so i can repair the existing freehub body too as a back up in case Haibike or dealer fails to supply.

its a race..... Haibike support / Supply vs China snail mail

My money is on Snail mail

Slymobi

E*POWAH Master
Mar 13, 2021
UK, Derbyshire
Decided not to risk a ride on the botch job pawls. More a piece of mind fix to confirm it was just the pawls.
New wheelset en-route so should be fitted by this evening.

Slymobi

E*POWAH Master
Mar 13, 2021
UK, Derbyshire
Wheels delivered and all fitted, quick test ride just up and down the street road..... all good atm.

IMG_20220701_163704.jpg

Noticed this on the rear hub, it spins around and has a grub that tightens onto the axle ! not seen one of these before, any advice on what it is / used for ?

IMG_20220701_173114.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20220701_165830.jpg
    IMG_20220701_165830.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 135

Slymobi

E*POWAH Master
Mar 13, 2021
UK, Derbyshire
Decided to swap out my 38T chainring for a 34T to hopefully reduce the stress on the hub pawls / cassette when on climbs.

I do quite a lot of hilly, rocky and in my opinion techy climbs for a hardtail so will see how this fairs along with the 160mm crank.

Not sure if i need to take a link out of my chain but on my very short test ride my gearing seemed fine.

Sander23

Aug 28, 2020
Belgium
Tip: if your looking for oem parts of haibike, you will find most of it if you look at the xlc or miranda website.
They are just rebranded to haibike oem

Slymobi

E*POWAH Master
Mar 13, 2021
UK, Derbyshire
Gearing was a tad out on higher gears, no links needed removing as a slight half turn reduction on gear cable tension resolved the issue.
34T chainring along with new 160mm cranks make a massive difference on steep climb.

Slymobi

E*POWAH Master
Mar 13, 2021
UK, Derbyshire
Good day out today, 1st ever graded trail ride over at Lady Cannings transported on the Buzzracks maiden journey

nice and secure but could see the bike wobbling slightly which i assume is normal as the bike was definitely secure. Seeing the bike in the rear mirror is strange lol and was sometimes a definite distraction but again i assume i will get used to it ?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles