Mullet v 29er

Giff

Subscriber
Oct 14, 2019
Cheshire UK
Has anyone got an opinion on a mullet 29" x 27.5" v a 29er.

The 160RSX is 29' but there is a MX and the eye watering works one both mullet.

What's the advantage and are there any disadvantages ?

Suns_PSD

Jul 12, 2022
Austin
I can only speak to the differences on a pedal bike: I really liked the way the mullet handled, however I had a notable loss in my ability to climb tech.
As a result of that experiment, my pedal bikes with be straight 29er and my first e-bike (Relay) will be ran as a mullet. My theory is that adding power and a big 27.5" rear grippy tire on the e- bike will overcome any climbing disadvantage.
GL

Tony4wd

Subscriber
Aug 3, 2022
Australia
I prefer 29" front and rear so I only have to carry one spare tube, the derailleur is slightly higher from obstacles and the bigger diameter rolls a little smoother. I run tubeless but still carry a tube in case of a big tyre cut.

Plummet

Flash Git
Mar 16, 2023
New Zealand
Has anyone got an opinion on a mullet 29" x 27.5" v a 29er.

The 160RSX is 29' but there is a MX and the eye watering works one both mullet.

27.5 is more accelerative, more playful, and better for steep riding as you dont get arse grind as soon. particularly if you are a shorter rider.

29 rides over the square edge stuff better and is overall faster unless you are in the tight steep tech.

So..... Love to chase the Steeeeep like i do? then mullet.
Not chasing steep, full 29. unless you are short arse then mullet might appeal for general riding.

Bomble

Subscriber
Nov 11, 2018
Yorkshire
I mulletted a 160RSX and it felt as though they designed it that way😀 They ride incredibly well as a 29 but felt even better with the mullet. It felt so much more agile and fun.
I did use the Whyte link which keeps the geo the same. I think in mullet discussions some people pop a 27.5 rear in a bike with no adjustment which is a lot different from doing the same in the Whyte, which has a purpose built link to keep the bike as intended.
I did the same in my Crafty which has no adjustment, bike felt more agile but too low and a bit wandery on the front.
Would definitely recommend getting the Whyte link and trying it on the Rsx.

Bomble

Subscriber
Nov 11, 2018
Yorkshire
No I looked for a second hand 27.5 rear but ended up buying a pair second hand, ex511 rims with dt Swiss and hope hubs.

Bomble

Subscriber
Nov 11, 2018
Yorkshire
Have a look on Pinkbike they have a good turnover of second hand stuff.
I figured it’s less money to lose if you don’t like the mullet.

Bomble

Subscriber
Nov 11, 2018
Yorkshire
Also, a bit weird but when I looked into doing mine I looked at all the differences between the 29 and mullet Whytes. At the time the mullet 160 had a higher bb than the 29 according to the Whyte website😀

RustyIron

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Jun 5, 2021
La Habra, California

I've not ridden the same bike in both mullet and straight 29'er, so in that regard, I can't help. I really like my mullet, but there is one downside. On a conventional bike, I take the moderately worn front tire and stick it on the back, and put a new tire on the front. It works for me, and I get full use out of all my tires.

On the mullet, I still get a lot of wear on the back. But on the front, I replace the tire when there's moderate wear, so I have a stack of lightly used tires that are perfectly suitable for the rear. So although I like the mullet, I end up spending more on tires. It's not so much the expense, but the idea that I'm not using the tires completely.

Giff

Subscriber
Oct 14, 2019
Cheshire UK
Also, a bit weird but when I looked into doing mine I looked at all the differences between the 29 and mullet Whytes. At the time the mullet 160 had a higher bb than the 29 according to the Whyte website😀
You mentioned the ( mullet ) link. Is that a Shape.it UP link or a Shape.it link....or something else.

I'm not sure what my 2022 e160 RSX has on it now.

Bomble

Subscriber
Nov 11, 2018
Yorkshire
It’s the shape it up link you need, wamlink03. It’s different from the stock one on a 160RSX👍
They are £69.99.

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
I have the E160 RSX. I see no reason to go mullet.
The primary benefit of a mullet set up is a looser back end which aids manoeuvrability but I find the bike fine as a full 29er with no problem throwing the back end out when needed. Some say the smaller back wheel prevents them buzzing the tyre when weighting the rear of the bike going down steep shutes. Again I do not find that an issue because I have found I can stay pretty central on the bike both up and down hill. The bike just has such brilliant weight distribution and balance. Potential downsides of going mullet include loss of speed and more disturbance of grip by the rear tyre on rough terrain.

Plummet

Flash Git
Mar 16, 2023
New Zealand
I have the E160 RSX. I see no reason to go mullet.
The primary benefit of a mullet set up is a looser back end which aids manoeuvrability but I find the bike fine as a full 29er with no problem throwing the back end out when needed. Some say the smaller back wheel prevents them buzzing the tyre when weighting the rear of the bike going down steep shutes. Again I do not find that an issue because I have found I can stay pretty central on the bike both up and down hill. The bike just has such brilliant weight distribution and balance. Potential downsides of going mullet include loss of speed and more disturbance of grip by the rear tyre on rough terrain.
Arse grind on steep happens more on slow technical steep rather than fast steep. If you have to control speed you cant do it centered on the bike. You have to get your arse back. That is where the 29er is more of a pain. Also more if you are shorter and less if you are tall.

Typically the real steep stuff is the natural old hiking trail tech that isn't in the bike park. Or arent chasing that stuff and are riding the standard bike park steeps with run outs and catch burms then there is less need for mullet.

I chase the natural steep. So mullet is what I want, For slow controlled descending of the silly.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
On my 29er, bum buzz used to be a regular occurrence on most rides. But not once since I got a mullet. I'm not deformed, but my legs are slightly shorter for my height than you would expect. (32", 6'1")

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
I do not disagree that steep tech requires moving weight back and I have another bike that invariably needs me to ass over the back axle................what I was saying was that I do not need to move that far back on the E160 RSX, , weight movement is much more subtle, I stay mostly still centred over the cranks but go lower and push my hips back a little..........nowhere near as far as behind the saddle.........every bike is different!!

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles