Dec 14, 2019
Scotland
Product name: Mucky Nutz - Mugguard Rear Fender
Price paid: £28 (Black Friday Deal) £38 RRP
Score (out of 10): 9/10

Review:
IMG_7586.JPG

Firstly, it’s not a spelling error - it is actually called a MUGguard! 🤷🏼‍♂️

I’ve been testing this out over the last month or so. On my previous bike, I had a Mudhugger Rear full sized mudguard. It was hideous! A horrible looking mudguard that covered the whole rear wheel… but probably the only one of many guards I tried that was actually effective, and could be used on a full suspension bike. I would put it on for winter, and then remove it for the rest of the year as it looked so bad. It also ate the seat stays really badly. I had a few wraps of Helitape underneath it, and it scraped the hell out of them.

For the last 8 months, I’ve been running my bike with no rear guard. It looks much better, but during the Scottish winter (cold and very wet, with some exceptionally muddy trails) the bike ends up absolutely filthy.
On Black Friday, I got a deal on the Mucky Nutz Mugguard - so picked it up for £28. Looking now, it seems to be about £38 when not on sale. It’s taken me about 3 months to actually get it on the bike. Each time I was about to go out, I’d consider it - but then decide just to go!

The Mugguard comes with some rubber inserts which go against your frame, and a roll of Velcro to cut as straps. It’s a ‘convertible’ mudguard, so comes with 2 different ends… the huge full sized one, and a small ‘plug’.

My bike is Invisiframed, but I put an extra wrap of Helitape under the contact points and where the Velcro straps go.

IMG_7591.JPG

My first few rides, I used the small guard. When using the small guard, you slip the ‘plug’ in and it fills the hole in the guard.
It stopped my shock getting so dirty, and stopped the big pile of dirt and pine needles sitting at the pivot point, but that’s about it. The bike, my back, and my bum still ended up clarted! You can see my dropper still took a beating...

IMG_7609.JPG

During the last few rides, I’ve tried the full size attachment. Trying to get the ‘plug’ out of the guard was an absolute pain in the backside as it’s pretty well jammed in. I ended up having to use a pair of pipe pliers to haul it out whilst pressing the button. When it’s in, there’s nothing to grip on to. When you’re pulling the full sized one out, you’ve got plenty to hold onto!

IMG_7587.JPG

The full sized attachment makes the Mugguard equally as ugly as the full sized Mudhugger… and is equally as effective.
No mud on my saddle, my Garmin Varia was almost clean, and most importantly, I didn’t have mud all up my back or backside!

IMG_7588.JPG

The bike still gets caked in mud, and I had mud on my face, arms and torso from the front wheel… but very little on my rear.
Time will see how this things wears the Helitape on my seat stays, but I guess the rubber inserts will be a bit kinder than my old Mudhugger’s plastic contact points. Maybe in the last 5 years Mudhugger have changed their design to have rubber contact points too?

Looks: Full - 1/10, Short 6/10
Usability: 8/10
Value: 9/10
Mud Stopping Ability: Full 10/10, Short 4/10

Overall: 9/10

Conclusion: If you want something that’s going to keep your bum clean and dry, this is what you need. With the clip on ‘long’ part, the versatility is there - and it only takes a minute to swap from full to short or vice versa if the weather requires it. Unfortunately there isn’t such a thing as a nice looking fully functional mudguard!

Polar

Jun 16, 2023
Norway
Product name: Mucky Nutz - Mugguard Rear Fender
Price paid: £28 (Black Friday Deal) £38 RRP
Score (out of 10): 9/10

Review: View attachment 136566

Firstly, it’s not a spelling error - it is actually called a MUGguard! 🤷🏼‍♂️

I’ve been testing this out over the last month or so. On my previous bike, I had a Mudhugger Rear full sized mudguard. It was hideous! A horrible looking mudguard that covered the whole rear wheel… but probably the only one of many guards I tried that was actually effective, and could be used on a full suspension bike. I would put it on for winter, and then remove it for the rest of the year as it looked so bad. It also ate the seat stays really badly. I had a few wraps of Helitape underneath it, and it scraped the hell out of them.

For the last 8 months, I’ve been running my bike with no rear guard. It looks much better, but during the Scottish winter (cold and very wet, with some exceptionally muddy trails) the bike ends up absolutely filthy.
On Black Friday, I got a deal on the Mucky Nutz Mugguard - so picked it up for £28. Looking now, it seems to be about £38 when not on sale. It’s taken me about 3 months to actually get it on the bike. Each time I was about to go out, I’d consider it - but then decide just to go!

The Mugguard comes with some rubber inserts which go against your frame, and a roll of Velcro to cut as straps. It’s a ‘convertible’ mudguard, so comes with 2 different ends… the huge full sized one, and a small ‘plug’.

My bike is Invisiframed, but I put an extra wrap of Helitape under the contact points and where the Velcro straps go.

View attachment 136567

My first few rides, I used the small guard. When using the small guard, you slip the ‘plug’ in and it fills the hole in the guard.
It stopped my shock getting so dirty, and stopped the big pile of dirt and pine needles sitting at the pivot point, but that’s about it. The bike, my back, and my bum still ended up clarted! You can see my dropper still took a beating...

View attachment 136568

During the last few rides, I’ve tried the full size attachment. Trying to get the ‘plug’ out of the guard was an absolute pain in the backside as it’s pretty well jammed in. I ended up having to use a pair of pipe pliers to haul it out whilst pressing the button. When it’s in, there’s nothing to grip on to. When you’re pulling the full sized one out, you’ve got plenty to hold onto!

View attachment 136569

The full sized attachment makes the Mugguard equally as ugly as the full sized Mudhugger… and is equally as effective.
No mud on my saddle, my Garmin Varia was almost clean, and most importantly, I didn’t have mud all up my back or backside!

View attachment 136570

The bike still gets caked in mud, and I had mud on my face, arms and torso from the front wheel… but very little on my rear.
Time will see how this things wears the Helitape on my seat stays, but I guess the rubber inserts will be a bit kinder than my old Mudhugger’s plastic contact points. Maybe in the last 5 years Mudhugger have changed their design to have rubber contact points too?

Looks: Full - 1/10, Short 6/10
Usability: 8/10
Value: 9/10
Mud Stopping Ability: Full 10/10, Short 4/10

Overall: 9/10

Conclusion: If you want something that’s going to keep your bum clean and dry, this is what you need. With the clip on ‘long’ part, the versatility is there - and it only takes a minute to swap from full to short or vice versa if the weather requires it. Unfortunately there isn’t such a thing as a nice looking fully functional mudguard!
Sicomtb rear gives the best protection of the bike and a washing machine at home is good enough for me I would never have a long penis hanging after my bike.
IMG_2181.jpeg

GizzmoShifu

Subscriber
Mar 21, 2024
Lancashire, UK
Which 2 were you looking at? The Mudhugger and MuckyNutz... or the Sicomtb?
Sry, the MuckyNutz MUGGUARD (2-piece long) and the Sitcomtb.

I like that the sitcomtb drops down quite a bit at the back to prevent splash up on to the back of the motor but I like the idea of not being caked in mud every time I go out (gotta love UK weather) ... both would probably be excessive right 🤷‍♂️

p3eps

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Dec 14, 2019
Scotland
I've considered the Sicomtb one a few times, but am always put off by the price. On my last bike I had a Mudhugger Front guard on the rear - which essentially did the same job for less than half the price.

The half sized MuckyNutz part goes down the back of the chainstay, so protects the pivot point and the rear shock. It doesn't do much else though... which would be much like the Sicomtb one. You can see the pasting my dropper and saddle took when I ran just the short one.

I guess it depends on your priorities. If you want a dry / clean bum, then the MuckyNutz is the way to go. If you just want to protect your bike, then there are various options. I'll rarely use the extension on the MuckyNutz as it looks absolutely crap... but it's nice to have the option on a day that's bucketing of rain.
As the whole thing is only attached by a couple of Velcro straps, it'll be coming off completely when / if we get summer!!

GizzmoShifu

Subscriber
Mar 21, 2024
Lancashire, UK
Ah yeah, couldn't quite see the bottom of that on my phone but it does go down further than I thought it did. Cheers for that pic, it really helps :)

but it's nice to have the option on a day that's bucketing of rain.

That's what I'm thinking too, especially while "waiting" for dry weather :D

p3eps

Subscriber
Dec 14, 2019
Scotland
I just can't get past how awful they look
I know!
It’s absolutely bucketing rain here just now, and I’m stir crazy in the house. I chucked on some waterproofs and stuck the ghastly MuckyNutz extension on and did about 14 miles (mainly cycle paths and roads). My bum was bone dry!

p3eps

Subscriber
Dec 14, 2019
Scotland
12 miles today… in just over an hour. Didn’t bother with the extension on my MuckyNutz. Left my backpack in the car, as at the worst point I’m only about 3 miles from the car.

Thankfully I was in waterproof shorts / jacket, and I could just throw them in a ‘dirty’ box away from everything else.

Everything was filthy! Should have maybe put the extension on 😂🤷🏼‍♂️

IMG_7670.jpeg

IMG_7673.jpeg

IMG_7677.jpeg

irie

Subscriber
May 2, 2022
Chichester, W.Sussex, UK
12 miles today… in just over an hour. Didn’t bother with the extension on my MuckyNutz. Left my backpack in the car, as at the worst point I’m only about 3 miles from the car.

Thankfully I was in waterproof shorts / jacket, and I could just throw them in a ‘dirty’ box away from everything else.

Everything was filthy! Should have maybe put the extension on 😂🤷🏼‍♂️

View attachment 136894

View attachment 136895

View attachment 136896
The extension would certainly not have looked as nasty as that clothing! Yuk

Kiwimike

May 10, 2021
Scotland!
Nice writeup - likewise Scotland (Dunkled) I'm reviewing one for Off-Road.cc right now and pretty much concur with your findings. I don't think it's quite as good as a Mudhugger long as I still get a few flecks on the back and bag, but then it's a lot less obvious.

I'm constantly bemused by the folks who think a soaked, cold, filthy arse, back, bag, saddle, pivots and dropper are worth it for 'looks'. Are you there to ride, or not have your ego deflated by a 'mate'? If someone is continually giving you shit about not wanting to be trashing a grand's worth of clothing and kit, or be cold / uncomfortable on everywet ride, maybe find some new riding buddies?

The sport is supposed to be about having fun. There's exactly zero fun in being wet/cold, or having to scrub out pants/shorts/jacket/pack after a wet ride, or paying money and time replacing a prematurely-trashed dropper or pivots. the sport is expensive enough in time and kit, without deliberately accellerating wear for fashion's sake.

...maybe I'm missing this 'fun' of which the fashion-conscious speak? People who slag others about using mudguards can Get In The Sea. It'll probably be warmer on their soggy arses :)

VWsurfbum

🤴King of Bling🌠
Jan 11, 2021
England
I use a Dirtlj baby gro so I don't get wet and cold, but it does offend me the big extension on the mudguard, but it does work fantastically well.

p3eps

Subscriber
Dec 14, 2019
Scotland
Sicomtb rear gives the best protection of the bike and a washing machine at home is good enough for me I would never have a long penis hanging after my bike. View attachment 136585
Are you not the same person asking about. a kickstand for your Levo? I thought aesthetics would be the least of your worries?!?! 😂

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles