Moustache Samedi 29 Trail - Anyone with experience?

MrPBruun

Jul 4, 2021
Denmark
Hey

Been talking to some of the local dealers. If I want a eMTB at the moment, the Moustache Samedi 29 Trail is the one they've got. (Trail 4, 6 and 10 is in stock)

As far as I can read from tests, it looks like a good bike, but does anyone have hands-on experience with the newer models (2020 and newer)?

How does the bike perform to others..?

Need some input, so I can decide if this is going to be my new bike...

OldBean

E*POWAH Elite
Patreon
Apr 28, 2018
East anglia
Friend just bought one and is very pleased with it.....we are not mad downhillers but ride some difficult trails and so far so good.
I believe unless you are an aficionado and an experienced rider not too many of us would be able to tell the difference between most bikes anyway.
I do note that it has a much longer wheelbase than my Focus jam ..and is a bit heavier..otherwise you would not know the difference.
Go For It

MrPBruun

Jul 4, 2021
Denmark
Friend just bought one and is very pleased with it.....we are not mad downhillers but ride some difficult trails and so far so good.
I believe unless you are an aficionado and an experienced rider not too many of us would be able to tell the difference between most bikes anyway.
I do note that it has a much longer wheelbase than my Focus jam ..and is a bit heavier..otherwise you would not know the difference.
Go For It

Have you tried it? How does it compare to your Jam?
My dealer cannot get hold of any more Jam2, which were my first choice.

OldBean

E*POWAH Elite
Patreon
Apr 28, 2018
East anglia
UM Its altogether a bigger bike with 29 wheels and bigger everything and heavier ( it is large size vs my medium) possibly for the trails we ride it is more stable. He moved from a cruiser road bike so he cant compare but very pleased so far
...My '17Jam 2 will be on the market soon as hate derailleurs and plan to move to Ries/muhller Rollhof with belt delivery is ???? at the moment Doubt if you would be disappointed with the Mus......only trouble its french!!!!!!!

Bones

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Apr 3, 2020
Harrogate
I have two mustache e bikes. One at around 4 years old which apart from the gen 2 bosch motor has been a very good bike. Just got the game 8 because no one had the trail 8 in stock locally. Same frame apparently, just different suspension sizes. So far well glad I went for the longer suspension even though I just Mince about.
Great value for money ?

selenium

Apr 10, 2021
California
> anyone have hands-on experience with the newer models (2020 and newer)?

The 2020 Trail 6 is an amazing climber and handles anything I've thrown at it. But I don't have experience with other recent models to compare.

Improvements:

- Motor

The Bosch Gen 4 CX motor is powerful and natural feeling, except for dead starts on steep inclines on loose soil/gravel. It spins out when in eMTB mode, yet lowering the assistance means that it isn't there to aid once moving, resulting in another stall (again, on very steep inclines). Although the electric motor whine is louder than I'd prefer, it is was somewhat expected. And it is smooth and natural feeling, except when climbing at the slowest speeds over very uneven ground, in that the motor lurches the slightest bit with each rock/dip, as it pushes the front wheel over. This may be the result of the Bosch-only feature that gives you an extra push when you stall, in order to help get up and over an obstacle when you need to momentarily stop pedaling (such as pumping the pedals to avoid a pedal strike). I'd like to try other motors, but the Bosch CX used by Moustache serves me well, except for the exceedingly annoying speed limit of 18.5mph. It feels like the brakes are being applied after 18mph, as the drag becomes noticeable long before the 20mph limit. But it feels dangerous not to be allowed to stay ahead of traffic when connecting to trails using a road with 25 mph speed limit, as vehicles pile up, until they feel obliged to pass, even when not quite safe.

- Larger rear brake (it's only 180mm, while the rear is 203mm)
The Shimano MT-500 is on the rear (only 2-pistons), so I'd prefer the MT-520, as is on the front, or better.
Both brakes used together are barely enough to prevent acceleration on long, steep declines.
Ceramic brake pads may just do the trick.

- Higher stem
A more-upright seating position is preferred for level-riding and climbs.

- USB Plug

It's got no way for your phone to tap into the built-in power supply. But upgrading to the Nyon or equivalent display fixes this.
(Upgrade before you take delivery, so you get credit for the unused on-board Purion.)

- Steering

The steering feels twitchy (possibly because of a 1236mm wheel base?). So much so, that the front tire often slips. This may be because of lack of skill on my part in knowing how to take advantage of the extra light steering and keeping the weight over the front tire. But lower tire pressure significantly helps (1 bar / 12-18 psi). This also significantly improves the grip, but lowers the ground clearance.

- Ground Clearance

With proper SAG, and low-tire pressure (~1bar/15psi), the ground clearance is well under 100mm (under 90, if I remember correctly).

The cranks are 165mm, but I'd be able to get away with 155 or shorter, because of the assistance. Extra ground clearance would be greatly appreciated. (The cranks are hard and tough, but a good pedal strike that brings you to a dead stop will bend them, as well as the pedal, of course).

The 2020 model has 27" wheels. Newer models are 29". So the clearance will be significantly improved. Bottom bracket heights for refererence:

BB Height: 347 (353 for Trail 29, 362 for Game 29)

- Shifters

The middle-of-the-line Shimano SLX M7100 are excellent, providing 2-down/1-up shifting at a time. The 2021 Trail removed this capability, I believe, which is vey much worth having.

- Saddle

Great looking, but uncomfortable and never got used to it. Something like the WTB Volt Chromoly narrow is quite a bit better and that's what I would expect it to come with. But many people will have their favorite saddle already.

It does come with a dropper seat post, which is indispensable! Great for saving the knees on climbs, while still allowing a low position on descents.

Weight:

It's 53 lbs. with the 625 Wh batter - pretty heavy to lift repeatedly. But you can get the Trail 10, if you care about weight.

Grips:

SB3 Race One, lock-on round - not molded to the hand. They seem completely comfortable and provide great grip at any angle. They've taken quite a bit of abuse, and I'm still happy with them.

Bottle Cage:

There is only one, and it's upside-down. But the bottle hasn't fallen out.

Last edited:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles