Motorhome owners

Dave_B

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Aug 29, 2020
Newquay
Are there any motorhome owners on the forum?
I'm starting to look into Motorhome ownership, so looking for feedback from existing owners on security, transportation of bikes, general advice, tips, tricks etc

Ou812

Jun 26, 2022
Fort William
I'm starting to look into Motorhome ownership, so looking for feedback from existing owners on security, transportation of bikes, general advice, tips, tricks etc
We used to have the “toy hauler” in the US, it had the garage in the back for motorcycles/quads. I’ve not seen anything like that here in the UK though. If I were buying or having something built I’d definitely want something to keep my bikes inside, wouldn’t want them on a rack or anything. I’ve seen those fancy horse transporters so I’d probably look at one of those and build it into a motorhome.

E Bob

Feb 15, 2021
torfaen
I Had a swift kontiki 679, i had all sorts of bikes in the garage of that, eventually my Race bike r1 in it, i ended getting a small box trailer for racing as was knocking all the interior about with spares, tools etc, too much weight in the rear made the steering a bit light, Mine was big al tag axle, But Theres plenty of smaller campers with garages, im looking about for an older A Class atm, Can pick them up reasnable price now, most A Classes have good size garages.

E Bob

Feb 15, 2021
torfaen
Obviously the downside to a garage is less headroom in the back bed
IMG_4812.jpeg

TheSnowShark

Subscriber
Sep 7, 2023
French-Alpes
I have a 6 meter campervan and I transport my bike in the hold under the bed by removing the front wheel, it's not the most practical, but it's safer than having an external bike rack

For a motorhome, the advantage is that it can be longer, and have a large rear garage, the bike (or bikes) would then be out of sight and much more secure.. 🍻

E Bob

Feb 15, 2021
torfaen
A sporthome is another good option, A mate of mine makes them, SC Sporthomes, He's got plenty of used in stock up there too now..

Dave_B

Subscriber
Aug 29, 2020
Newquay
I Had a swift kontiki 679, i had all sorts of bikes in the garage of that, eventually my Race bike r1 in it, i ended getting a small box trailer for racing as was knocking all the interior about with spares, tools etc, too much weight in the rear made the steering a bit light, Mine was big al tag axle, But Theres plenty of smaller campers with garages, im looking about for an older A Class atm, Can pick them up reasnable price now, most A Classes have good size garages.
The 679 is exactly what I’m considering.
Over cab bed. Nice garage in the back.

RickBullotta

Jun 5, 2019
USA
The 679 is exactly what I’m considering.
Over cab bed. Nice garage in the back.

A "hybrid" solution would be a tow bar rack on the motorhome and a few Kryptonite Fuhgeddaboutit chains and locks. You'll preserve most of the space in the trailer. We did an 8000 mile mountain bike/snowboard trip last year and parked in some questionable locations with our bikes on the rack. One look at those chains and the thief probably moved on. When we are pulling our travel trailer, we put the bikes in the truck bed with the same chains/locks along with a fork lock, and put the wheels in the truck.

Dave_B

Subscriber
Aug 29, 2020
Newquay
Yeah, the choice seems to be either a rear garage and single rear bed (it’s only for me and my wife so over cab bed is the one that will get used) or carry the bikes on a rack and have a rear U bed/lounge and enjoy more space inside.

E Bob

Feb 15, 2021
torfaen
The 679 has a double over the garage at the rear, a push up double over the front cab as standard, i also made a slatted shelf to join the front bench seats together, "Excuse the mess" probably bigger than a king, Some of the A class motorhomes have a nice pull down bed at the front too, Again with a double over the garage IMG_0081.jpeg IMG_0520.jpeg IMG_0522.jpeg

Dave_B

Subscriber
Aug 29, 2020
Newquay
What do you do for wifi / very good internet access? I would want to work from the van and I’m usually on several Teams calls a day, so need a good connection. Starlink is Obvs the best choice but it is very expensive. Is it the only choice?

Ou812

Jun 26, 2022
Fort William
What do you do for wifi / very good internet access? I would want to work from the van and I’m usually on several Teams calls a day, so need a good connection. Starlink is Obvs the best choice but it is very expensive. Is it the only choice?
We had a mobile hotspot through Vodafone in our camper. Only problem was the connection was awesome in some spots but terrible in others.

TheSnowShark

Subscriber
Sep 7, 2023
French-Alpes
If 4G signal is present an internal router is a great solution, many of my friends use a Teltonika RUT950 LTE 4G Router with an Omni Mobile Antenna

But if it must be possible to use it in "white" areas without a signal, then only the Starlink will be able to do it. Note that there is a modification of the original antenna to make it flat and mountable on the roof of a motorhome

🍻

Dave_B

Subscriber
Aug 29, 2020
Newquay
Starlink is expensive. I was quite surprised when I looked at it.

lawrenre

May 27, 2019
Granite Bay CA
Dave, there is allot to consider when traveling in an RV, I am on my second Winnebago Sprinter with a 7x12foot box trailer, I am traveling in the US so size is not as critical as Europe and I travel alone. The trailer is set up with its own power system gear and tools. I can repair any issue with bikes, moto or RV on the road, I carry two ebikes and a Husky 501. The bikes are mounted on my Thule bike rack in the trailer so if the issue is parking restrictions with a vehicle I can mount the rack with a bike on the RV and leave the trailer. Total length with trailer is forty feet, the RV is 25 feet, I rarely stay in campgrounds or trailer parks and prefer boondocking. With fuel being what it is I get 13MPG with trailer backroads and 15 to 16 MPG freeway. I did get 21MPG once going downhill with a tail wind!
Cheers

70405649921__39294A3F-31E3-4AE4-B505-BD4EC36DD629.jpg 70287164659__6029FC08-6C11-42D9-8DFC-AA36BDAF7C4A.jpg

Last edited:

E Bob

Feb 15, 2021
torfaen
@E Bob do I need a special driving license for the 679?
No, Aslong as you passed your driving test before january 1997,
For a big al bus it drove loverly too... mine was the 3.0 it pulled like a train, even with the box trailer full of tools, yam r1 and loads of spares on the back

BobR

Apr 14, 2021
Florida
My 5th wheel has a class III hitch and I put a bike rack in it for transportation and we have 2 bedrooms so the bikes go in the 2nd bedroom when we set up camp anywhere… here in the states I use T-Mobile home internet if where we camp does not have WiFi

E Bob

Feb 15, 2021
torfaen
I have a Burstner elegance which has a nice garage( heated) to store stuff. Transverse bed and a drop down bed over the cab if needed. Home is where I park it. 👍
View attachment 131722
Another cracking campa, Same 3.0 motor, Pretty much the same layout as the kontiki just other way round, And bit more luxurious. Theres a nice one of these on e'bay now, priced reasonable at £45k, it's in newport just down from me.

Hobo Mikey

E*POWAH Elite
Subscriber
May 22, 2020
Where ever
Yea I saw that one, it’s a year older than mine and different layout. I have a look now and then to see what the value is of mine. I have had mine nearly ten years now and there is one on eBay the same year and roughl,y same miles and they want more for it than I paid for mine ten years ago. 👍

E Bob

Feb 15, 2021
torfaen
Yea I saw that one, it’s a year older than mine and different layout. I have a look now and then to see what the value is of mine. I have had mine nearly ten years now and there is one on eBay the same year and roughl,y same miles and they want more for it than I paid for mine ten years ago. 👍
Are you on a caravan club site, looks like tradegar park ?

zorro77

Apr 13, 2021
Italy
Hi, we have an Adria Twin 640 sgx, we can sleep with the bikes inside without removing the front wheels. Normally, however, I put the bikes outside with a chain on the camper wheel and lower the electric bed to make sleeping more comfortable.
The Van is much easier to drive and park, it is faster and is not afraid of water infiltrations. It could be an idea.

Happy New Year and happy research.

Icona di Verificata con community
bikes.jpg

van.jpg
1704384522753.png

Dave_B

Subscriber
Aug 29, 2020
Newquay
Too many vans to choose from.!!

I’m starting to like the Roller Team Zefiro 665.

I looked at a Joa 75q today. Brand new.
It has everything I would need. But I think is budget quality inside compared to others.

E Bob

Feb 15, 2021
torfaen
Too many vans to choose from.!!

I’m starting to like the Roller Team Zefiro 665.

I looked at a Joa 75q today. Brand new.
It has everything I would need. But I think is budget quality inside compared to others.
These look good value, looks like you would need to remove the front wheel of an mtb to get in the garage though, its not very tall.

E Bob

Feb 15, 2021
torfaen
Hi, we have an Adria Twin 640 sgx, we can sleep with the bikes inside without removing the front wheels. Normally, however, I put the bikes outside with a chain on the camper wheel and lower the electric bed to make sleeping more comfortable.
The Van is much easier to drive and park, it is faster and is not afraid of water infiltrations. It could be an idea.

Happy New Year and happy research.

View attachment 131804 View attachment 131805

View attachment 131806 View attachment 131807
Always liked the look of the ducato based campers, Adria are quality too. I'v got a few years of the kids still wanting to come away yet though..

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles