Motobecane M600 XL quick review

BigMark

Feb 10, 2020
I ordered this from the big .com site and had it shipped to my LBS for final assembly and tune. The brakes really need to be 203 size discs for a big guy like me but do stop no problems. The bike shifts like a dream with the SRAM X12 Eagle and feels really comfortable standing up. The Bafang 120 NM motor is a monster, very torquey and pretty quiet. My current daily rider is a Trek Rail 7 XL with almost 7000 miles and previous to that a Trek Powerfly 5 upgraded to 7 specs with 3000 miles. This motor engages more like the Powerfly Gen 2 motor, not as seamless as the 4. It does have the spoke mounted sensor like the Gen2. (if you lose power after going through bushes, catch a branch or crash it could be the sensor getting turned)

The build quality is hit and miss, the rear shock linkage seems a bit puny and the wires in the frame are masking taped to the wall of the frame. I had to slap the battery to get the lock to engage. It came with a 2 amp charger (I have a 220 V 6 amp for my rail, it came with a 4.)The drive train is better than the Rail 7 and it includes One Thumb shifting up and down.

Power level 4 (it has 1-5 with 6 being "boost") seems about equal to Turbo level on the Bosch, that really sucks up the juice from the 602 WH battery running it in boost mode.

It does a have a thumb throttle that would be good for people not wanting to sweat going to work, someone with a disability or injury or someone getting in shape. Overall a pretty fun bike and a great value that my buddies are really going to enjoy when I show them the mountain.

The bungee cord shown below is for my water bottle as it does not come with mounts, this was my first ride and i'm going to figure out something better to hold a bottle.

bafang4.jpg

Doug Stampfer

Jul 7, 2018
NZ
I've not heard of this brand before. From your description they seem to be a more economical alternative to the mainstream brands?

Planemo

E*POWAH Elite
Mar 12, 2021
Essex UK
Been going for donkeys years making motorcycles and bikes. I actually had one of these as a kid. And you think todays bikes are heavy? I could barely push it, let alone ride it. But it was novel. Drum brakes, full suspension, dual crown forks :LOL:

shame it was all ex-MC kit, hence the weight

motobecane.JPG

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles