Mileage on the odometer from new?

e-mtbiker

May 4, 2019
Liverpool
Hi all,

Took delivery of my Jam2 late yesterday evening so set the bike up and charged her up before going to bed. Switched it on for the first time this morning and there are 8 miles on the odometer despite the bike being bought brand new.

Having bought and set up a few analogue bikes I know it doesn't take 8 miles to check the indexing which is assuming all they need to do unless being an ebike there is more to it?

Shall I contact the supplier as essentially the bike has completed a good demo loop?

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
I bought one brand new and took it home. I rode it around the village and let my mates have a go. Then I discovered it wasn't the bike I had requested (detail about the forks). My return was accepted without question and the bike was spotless. But I'm assuming the bike would have gone back in the "new" category when being sold. :unsure:

I'm sure that lots of bikes get sold as new that have been demonstrated. Otherwise you would be charged a high cost for demoing a bike. Trouble is that ebikes keep a record of this and maybe some retailers have not fully woken up to that yet.

e-mtbiker

May 4, 2019
Liverpool
Thanks Steve, I've emailed them anyway just to get clarification. The supplier sells ex-demo and return bikes so to me any bike that has mileage on it should fall under one of those categories.

Regardless it's going out tomorrow around Llandegla/Worlds End for it's maiden spin.

HikerDave

Feb 9, 2019
Tempe
Hi all,

Took delivery of my Jam2 late yesterday evening so set the bike up and charged her up before going to bed. Switched it on for the first time this morning and there are 8 miles on the odometer despite the bike being bought brand new.

Having bought and set up a few analogue bikes I know it doesn't take 8 miles to check the indexing which is assuming all they need to do unless being an ebike there is more to it?

Shall I contact the supplier as essentially the bike has completed a good demo loop?

I would bill them for the tire wear on the bike and the loss in battery life unless I test rode a few of theirs.

A shop gave me a great deal on a new cyclocross bike once; a few months later when I was in there telling them how much I liked the bike the manager owned up having ridden it around on his lunch break once in a while for the joy of it. Probably your bike was a shiny object that some shop employee couldn’t resist; likely it never went off road.

Before I bought my SDURO I probably put a mile on it; the shop I bought it from is generous with test rides which kind of means the customer has to reciprocate by accepting a bike with some miles on the odometer.

A bike doesn’t lose it’s virginity when ridden.

Last edited:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles