Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
pros - soft conditions/mud performance
cons - drag & dry conditions performance

That's pretty much all there is to it dude. They're just a cut down mud spike tyre. hence the name ;)

73Steff

E*POWAH Master
Sep 11, 2018
Haslemere Surrey
I run them on couple of bikes, this time of year, with some slop they are awesome and better than more aggressive treads over roots. Also find they work well in dry/soft conditions (lot of sand/loam where I am)
They do have soft compound so wear quick on rear. I don’t run them in summer but my go to tyre for last few months and probs into spring?

The EMF

🔱 Aquaman 🔱
Subscriber
Nov 4, 2020
South East Northumberland
I run them on couple of bikes, this time of year, with some slop they are awesome and better than more aggressive treads over roots. Also find they work well in dry/soft conditions (lot of sand/loam where I am)
They do have soft compound so wear quick on rear. I don’t run them in summer but my go to tyre for last few months and probs into spring?
Great stuff....at present I’m running a High Roller 2, 2.5 on the back, a great tyre but since I’ve had my Whyte E150-RS I’m riding more often and in all conditions, more mud, wet moorland, snow and general gloop. I need more grip especially at lower speeds on climbs, I tend to ride 20+ mile trips in the North Northumberland hills so very little road surface use
Do you run them front and rear?

The Hodge

Mystic Meg
Subscriber
Sep 9, 2020
North West Northumberland
Great stuff....at present I’m running a High Roller 2, 2.5 on the back, a great tyre but since I’ve had my Whyte E150-RS I’m riding more often and in all conditions, more mud, wet moorland, snow and general gloop. I need more grip especially at lower speeds on climbs, I tend to ride 20+ mile trips in the North Northumberland hills so very little road surface use
Do you run them front and rear?
Not to mention in puddles that come up to and over your front forks ..
Have you got a snorkel on your Christmas wish list ?

Clubby

Oct 3, 2020
Tayside
Great on the front at this time of year but wouldn’t put one on the back. DHR2 makes a good match on the rear. Not a fan of the High Roller 2, not particularly bad but worse than a DHR2 in most conditions and not better in any.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
High Roller 2, not particularly bad but worse than a DHR2 in most conditions and not better in any.
You're wrong. A High Roller 2 sheds mud slightly better, drifts better and rolls slightly faster than a DHRII

Oh...and shortys are also good choice on the rear if conditions and riding actually warrants one.

We don't all ride the same or have the same requirements so tyre advice is very subjective. Especially when coming from complete strangers online

The EMF

🔱 Aquaman 🔱
Subscriber
Nov 4, 2020
South East Northumberland
You're wrong. A High Roller 2 sheds mud slightly better, drifts better and rolls slightly faster than a DHRII

Oh...and shortys are also good choice on the rear if conditions and riding actually warrants one.

We don't all ride the same or have the same requirements so tyre advice is very subjective. Especially when coming from complete strangers online
?

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Certain WC DH riders have been testing the new Maxxis Shorty this year with great success so we should have a new version in the new year (no confirmed dates as yet)

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
If you're planning on podiuming wet world cup downhill races, yes.
Mincing about the woods on an Ebike I think you'll be just fine on the current one for now ;)

Clubby

Oct 3, 2020
Tayside

Jesus, who pi$$ed in your cornflakes?

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
No. I'm not jesus.
Just someone who can actually tell positive and negative traits between two different tyre tread designs and give a well rounded unbiased view rather than just talk pish about one because it didn't suit me so well.

Happy Christmas.
I hope you get something nicer than cornflakes or pish.

Last edited:

Orangie

Feb 1, 2020
Pittsburgh
Easy fellas. Merry Christmas
1608738918700.png

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles