Maxxis 2.5

Roy D

Subscriber
Oct 29, 2021
Southern California
Just in case anyone is thinking of going to a 2.5 assegai and a minion, The difference between a 2.6 and a 2.5 sure looks and feels a whole lot more than it is. While grip feels better it lacks volume. Just ordered a pair of Eddy Current hope they work better. FYI tires are on a line pro 30. And would probably work better on a line 40.

A18CC925-B806-4972-86A9-8858EBD664D9.jpeg

B2B4B781-3A0D-46AA-A18D-9DCA7A73DAAE.jpeg

BBear

May 18, 2019
Bristol
Thanks that is helpful as was thinking of doing just that. Looking at going for E-wilds in 2.6 now.

BBear

May 18, 2019
Bristol
Had a bit of a rethink and I’m going for 2.4 or 2.5 Maxxis Shortys for winter mud and will change back to the SE5’s when conditions dry out. Providing I can get them of course….

Roy D

Subscriber
Oct 29, 2021
Southern California
Yes Dhf in back assegai up front. I’ll be honest. At 2.5wt they look skinny but boy do they hook. Front holds a line really well and I haven’t washed out once since. This was happening almost every ride. (SoCal loose over hard pack). Did a few 2 to 3 foot drops and felt good. Lack of volume did hurt on some soft sand but well worth the traction. Oh yeah, They roll well for how Aggressive they are.

A0F7063D-A83A-43EE-BD3E-43CAAEB18A06.jpeg

The Hodge

Mystic Meg
Subscriber
Sep 9, 2020
North West Northumberland
Yes Dhf in back assegai up front. I’ll be honest. At 2.5wt they look skinny but boy do they hook. Front holds a line really well and I haven’t washed out once since. This was happening almost every ride. (SoCal loose over hard pack). Did a few 2 to 3 foot drops and felt good. Lack of volume did hurt on some soft sand but well worth the traction. Oh yeah, They roll well for how Aggressive they are.

View attachment 75196
I have the same tyre combo on my Whyte e160rs ..27.5 ( f/r) in DD casing on the DHF..not even a hint of a squeaky bum moment in some pretty shitty riding conditions ..tubeless set up but running high-ish pressure 25psi front 28 rear ..nothing too scientific about that ..it just feels OK for the way I ride with my weight hovering above /below 14st (88.9kg) ! 😁

The EMF

🔱 Aquaman 🔱
Subscriber
Nov 4, 2020
South East Northumberland
I’m running a 2.5 Shorty on the front, 2.5 minion dhf on the rear for the winter gloop, I’ve a second set of wheels so if visiting trail centres I’ve the option to switch the front to a High Roller II 2.5……suits me for how I ride my Whyte E 150 RS.

Nato

Jan 10, 2020
Australia

View attachment 75196
I’ve never even thought of trying a DHF on the rear, I’ve got one in the garage and next time I change the rear tyre I’ll give it a go 👍🏻

Roy D

Subscriber
Oct 29, 2021
Southern California
I think the hodge has it right. Double down casing was the way to go. I was worried about the weight but forgot I had a Raillllllll

Last edited:

Doug Stampfer

Jul 7, 2018
NZ
I’ve never even thought of trying a DHF on the rear, I’ve got one in the garage and next time I change the rear tyre I’ll give it a go 👍🏻
Because I'm a tightarse I always run my half worn DHF fronts on the back. This time I bought a new DHRII for the rear & TBH I don't notice any difference. The DHRII are supposed to be better braking with the bib blocks however due to the track surfaces around here most of my back braking is with the rear locked up anyway. The side knobs get ripped off just as well on a DHF & DHR as far as I can see :cool:
I'm also more used to thinner tyres. I doubt I could go back to a 2.6 again- they seem fatbike -ish now in comparison

Brent8275

May 28, 2021
Auckland

View attachment 75196
Nice big brake kit on the audi BTW 😍

2WheelsNot4

E*POWAH Master
Oct 17, 2021
Scotland
The difference between a 2.6 and a 2.5
2.5 millimeters. I dont agree that anyone can look at this size on a ruler and state its going to make a huge degree of a difference to anything other than a computer model. If anything feels like it is making a difference, then it must be the difference in tread pattern.
Keep in mind that that 2.5mm is the total width, and that equates to 1.25mm each side.
Most people would have to squint at a ruler to see 1.25mm

It's not an attack on you Roy or anyone else, I'm just saying such actual measurements are too tiny to make any sort of noticable difference and if any difference is noticed, the answer to that lies elsewhere.

Roy D

Subscriber
Oct 29, 2021
Southern California
No hurt feelings here. But remember 2.5 is not always 2.5. Depending on what rim width it’s going on will give you a flat or rolled look. Which will also cause the tread pattern to be pulled wider or narrower giving slightly more or less edge grip. In my case they look really small next to the stk 2.6 tires but work great for me. Now enough about that. The Audi is my early retirement gift to myself. After 22 years as a dealer tech, the last 20 with Volkswagen the wife and I plan to track the car and ride our treks all over America. Might just get use to the empty nest thing. It’s a 2019 s3 full stage 2 with many track goodie’s. Now if the roads here in California weren’t so bad……

djuro

Feb 22, 2021
germany
Had a bit of a rethink and I’m going for 2.4 or 2.5 Maxxis Shortys for winter mud and will change back to the SE5’s when conditions dry out. Providing I can get them of course….
if it gets cold enough (around or below 5deg celsius) in your winters, then forget maxxis. their compound hardens up like wood... go for wtb verdict wet front or schwalbe mm in that case.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles